DC on dry hair BEFORE washing?

Bianna125

Does anyone sometimes DC before they wash? I did it when I was short on time, and the results were...AMAZING! Maybe it's because the shampoo I used was gentle, moisturizing, and sulfate free, but my hair didn't feel stripped at all :grin: (I use old CON or Hair One and detangling was a breeze!)

I put a moisture DC with oils on dry hair and left it on overnight, planning to do a pre poo, but when I rinsed and did one shampoo lather, it felt so good, I decided to get out and skip straight to the leave ins and airdrying!

I wouldn't do this every time...maybe once a week. It just really cuts down on the "shower hopping"

Anyone else do this? Or am I simply washing away the DC on the molecular level and wasting product :look:

I do this all the time!

No you don't lose the effects of the DC...I think it absorbs better - I would put a protein condish on my hair with some oil overnight, rinse and shampoo in the morning and follow up with a moisturizing condish (all in tha' shower) ...my hair has really thrived ...

Lots of people do it. Actually, many people's prepoo's are just dcing on dry hair. Though, most people do follow the shampoo with at least a quick condition.

Personally, I think it's just washing away product but if it makes the hair feel good, then why not. I used to do it all the time.

I'll be doing this tomorrow with Aubrey Organics Honesuckle Rose conditioner which is made for dry DC'ing. I'm tired of shower hopping too.

I always do it, i don't like to enter into the bathroom so may times. So i always apply my DC on dry hair and thenn i wash it. The result are always good. I never tryed on wet hair so i can compare, i think i will have to do it sometime.

I tried it before but it's not for me.
I prefer to shampoo and then towel dry and let air dry for a bit then put on my DC

I do this all the time because my DCing is always be followed by a shampoo. DCing on Dry hair is something I started after reading it here and then noticing that that's precisely what the two Aubrey Organics products I use (GPB and Honeysuckle Rose) ask that I do. "For deep conditioning: Apply to dry hair and distribute from scalp to ends. Leave on for 15 minutes, then shampoo and condition hair as usual."

I also DC with Emergencée and you're supposed to shampoo afterward(s) so again I save time by doing it before my shampoo. However, coz I'm a stickler for rules unless I deem them silly, I often use this on damp hair towel dried hair that's just been shampooed, and then I shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo as the instructions ask you to do. Too much shampooing? *Shrug* I love shampoo!

Last edited:
Does anyone sometimes DC before they wash? I did it when I was short on time, and the results were...AMAZING! Maybe it's because the shampoo I used was gentle, moisturizing, and sulfate free, but my hair didn't feel stripped at all :grin: (I use old CON or Hair One and detangling was a breeze!)

I put a moisture DC with oils on dry hair and left it on overnight, planning to do a pre poo, but when I rinsed and did one shampoo lather, it felt so good, I decided to get out and skip straight to the leave ins and airdrying!

I wouldn't do this every time...maybe once a week. It just really cuts down on the "shower hopping"

Anyone else do this? Or am I simply washing away the DC on the molecular level and wasting product :look:

On dry hair is the only way I DC...I do it twice a week (one with heat one without)...I mix together my conditioner w/EVOO, CoCo Oil, Castor Oil and put it on my dry hair (like you would a relaxer) making sure to soak my ends also. Then I wash as if to Co-wash...not adding any more conditioner or shampoo. Works amazing for me! :grin: It started out as me being lazy, not wanting to get in the shower, wash my hair get out to DC and get BACK in the shower to rinse. lol

I almost do this, but I don't use shampoo. So I'll follow with a co-wash and leave in, or just rinse and move on to a leave in. I tried shampoo yesterday for the first time in over a year, and my hair acted a total fool. I ended up having to deep conditioning over night.

I almost do this, but I don't use shampoo. So I'll follow with a co-wash and leave in, or just rinse and move on to a leave in. I tried shampoo yesterday for the first time in over a year, and my hair acted a total fool. I ended up having to deep conditioning over night.

Just curious because I do this too, but I haven't eliminated shampoo from my reggie...do you just use baking soda or acv when its time to clarify your hair?

I often DC before shampooing and I feel that it helps. It smooths and protects my hair from the shampoo (while still allowing my hair to get clean). My hair is left feeling clean, but not stripped, and better receives the conditioner after shampooing.

Just curious because I do this too, but I haven't eliminated shampoo from my reggie...do you just use baking soda or acv when its time to clarify your hair?

No, I mostly use clarifying conditioners. If I don't have one, then I'll put about 1 tsp of baking soda in a cup of regular conditioner.

Back