Daughters Hair under 10-

Candi

I need help with what products to use on my daughters hair? She is 7 yrs old has a head full of beautiful virgin hair that is thick as all get out.
antlers.gif
She has hair like the model with the pink fro in the hair type and just as long!
shocked.gif
It is a bear to comb. I do not want to perm, I am putting that off as long a possible if not forever. I need products that will assist me in combing her hair after I wash it. She has gotten to the point where she does not want me to wash her hair. All of her little girlfriends have perms or mommas that can braid and or straighten-I can do neither. I did purchase an electric straightening comb and I also have the old fashion one. I have used them both little success!
mad.gif
I need help-before my child runs away!!!
frown.gif

I too have thick hair. I really like the Creme of Nature shampoo and conditioner. I first use the detangling conditioning shampoo in the white bottle with the red label and yellow cap. Then I follow that up with the nourishing conditioner with the purple label and purple cap. This stuff detangles my hair like nobody's business!! I just started using this, but it works better than anything else I've tried.

Also, make sure you just take it a section at a time, detangling with a wide tooth comb.

Believe me, if I can manage my big afro-ready hair, there is hope!! And the good thing is this stuff is inexpensive and can be found at Wal-Mart or Sav-On or anywhere like that.

Hay Thanks Nay-

I must admit when I went to your website a week or so ago I said she has hair just like my daughter!!! I did use creme of nature on her head, the shampoo-it really did not help with the tangles. I will have to look for the other product by creme of nature u mentioned. I saw on this site Jason's sea kelp might be good I brought it. I have only used it once-the results were the same still hard to comb. I have been using the detangler by Mame and Tail, it helps but not much. I used to used Jason's Biotin a few years ago myself I have deceided to go back to using that on me.

Candi, did you leave the conditioners you've tried in her hair for a long time? I used to use Finesses conditioner for dry/coarse hair. But I noticed that I would have to use A LOT, about 1/4th of the bottle. And then I would leave it in my hair for a LONG time, at least 30 minutes or more. Then I would comb my hair while the conditioner was still in it. This product worked, but I just wanted to try something else. And now I really like the Creme of nature conditioner.

There's got to be something that will help!! The key is figuring out a way to make it work -- whether that is using a lot of product or sectioning the hair and tackling it section at a time.

I noticed that once I found what worked for my hair, my hair really got easier and became less of a struggle. Hopefully, you will find the products and combination of techniques to make your daughter's hair a breeze to comb.

Hey, I'm going to pm you. So be ready
smile.gif

Nay,

Yes, I did leave it in for about 30 minutes or a little longer. I did not comb it, it was just too tangled.
ohwell.gif
And yes I did have to use quite a bit of product, to just get it to penatrate!
confused.gif
I will go out and buy the creme of nature conditioner. Just before I bought the Jasons I used Nexxus ensure and assure-same results. None of the kiddies work on her...? I think I will have to use a product a few times before switching before it can actually show results.
crazy.gif

Candi
Have you tried shampooing ur daughter's hair in plaits? I think it might work. Just loosely plait her hair in about 6 or 7 big plaits all over her head, then mix the shampoo (creme of nature) in a glass with some water and shampoo that way. Condition the same way.

I have to second the detangling when conditioner is in, that has saved me a lot of hair. When you are detangling hold the hair by the root (or you can get someone else to do this) while you start detangling form the ends. Also if you can't braid well then find someone else to braid it well.

i agree with sade! if you have a problem with tangles, you should definitely wash and condition in sections so it doesn't have the opportunity to tangle.
smile.gif

Hi Candi,

I too have a daughter with thick long hair, when stretched it is about bra-strap length, she's 3. She hates having her hair combed or washed.

What I have tried with success is using VO5 strawberries & cream conditioner to her hair to soften and detangle before actually shampooing. I also do this in sections, first I start with the back using claw clips to hold the sections I am not ready for, then work my way up to the front. I also use creme of nature shampoo and the conditioner. I like the ultra nourishing conditioner but the shampoo does not work too well on her hair. I am still searching for a very mild conditioning shampoo for her hair.

Another technique I tried was using an applicator bottle (the kind you would use if applying hair dye, from sallys beauty supply) with diluted shampoo (mixed with water) I separated her hair and applied shampoo only to the scalp while her hair was still dry. Then I wet her hair and massaged/lathered up the shampoo, rinsed and conditoned. That works well when I can get her to sit still.

I hope this helps.

Ditto to what everyone has said. I have thick, natural hair too, so I know what you're talking about. One thing that ALWAYS works for me is Pantene Smooth and Sleek conditioner. No matter what shampoo I use on my hair, this conditioner always helps me detangle.
smile.gif

Sade7, that's a very good idea. I am definately going to try that. I was thinking about washing my daughter's hair and deep conditioning it twice a week (she's 3). Do you think that's overkill?

Thank all of you for your suggestions Nay, Adrienne-I just Loveded your hair too!!-it is so lovely and Kayla I will try the VO5 and I plan to also get the creme of nature that Nay suggested as well. Here in my town everyone keeps telling me to just put a perm on it. I want to stay away from perms for as long as I can at this time.

Sade 7 made a good suggestion about washing hair in plaits. This is what i do weekly. i part my hair into 4 sections and i make a braid in each section. I then wash with a moisturizing shampoo concentrating on the scalp using downward motions with my fingers. this way makes my hair 10x easier to detangle because washing thick natural hair loose and scrubbing vigorously in different directions can cause major tangles.

Back