Daily Defense Tender Apple/Water Lily Conditioner

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Since the search function don't wanna act right.....:ohwell:

When I first came to this board 9 kazillion years ago, folk were sitting shiva over the discontinuation of Daily Defense Tender Apple conditioner AKA Hair Crack.

I was transitioning at the time and found a $0.99 store that had 8 million bottles of the DDTA shampoo but only the DD Water Lily conditioner. I figured for $0.99 why not try it - so I bought 3 bottles.

When I used it on my transitioning hair it was a big ole :down: :nono:
From that point forwards I was always like :rolleyes: whenever I read reviews on that product.

Fast forward to last week, I was going through the product arsenal, stumbled upon the DD Water Lily con and figured I'd try one mo gin before mixing it into some new concoction.

I don't know if sitting on it's own for so long gave it time to 'marinate', or what, but when I put that in my hair, the comb just glided through when I detangled.

That does not happen with my Medusa like tendrils. So I've used it a couple times since and it's not a fluke. Even though the con was cheap, I get far more slip without adding anything to it than a VO5 or Suave product. This conditioner is friggin magic with a capital 'GIC'.

So my long winded question is has anyone found a replacement product that works like DDTA or DDWL? I got 2 1/2 bottles to go before I need to figure something out.

Jcoily- your hair is beautiful!
The only thing I have thats comparable to DDWl is Knot-today. and at 12 dollars a bottle rather than 99 cents its a d#@m shame.

^Thank ya lady!

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I could kick myself for not buying every bottle of this stuff that I could.

My hair hated the DDWL but loved the DDTA and DDGB.
I stocked piled these conditioners when they went on sale at 50 cents a bottle.
I have a 100 bottle of DDTA and 50 DDGB and dont want to think about what I will use when these are gone.
I have not found conditioner that comes close with amazing slip and moisture that these provides.:nono:

Try ebay. I found some DDTA there several months back. I also found a couple of bottles at WalMart on the end clearance rack--this was around September.

I discovered this at the Dollar General about 1 month ago. I have been :love: ever since. I knew this would be a short time affair, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.:lachen:

I discovered this at the Dollar General about 1 month ago. I have been :love: ever since. I knew this would be a short time affair, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.:lachen:
I think I know where one is around here. I swear, none of you PJs in the South 'burbs of the Chi better go lootin' around in there!!

hmmmm....so there's still some floating around out there, eh?

I'll try a few of the more obscure $0.99 stores and Big Lots to see if I can find any. I hit up every place online including ebay (which had the shampoo) but couldn't find the conditioner.

I've never used this product before, and I don't have any suggestions about any equivalents. I just dropped in to say that your hair looks fab, Coily!!

hmmmm....so there's still some floating around out there, eh?

I'll try a few of the more obscure $0.99 stores and Big Lots to see if I can find any. I hit up every place online including ebay (which had the shampoo) but couldn't find the conditioner.

Hey you... I have been searching all over LA for this conditioner for the las t 2 years. Last place i found it was big lots... 2 years ago. lemme know if you discover some.

Shoot....I thought that you were gonna say you found some! :lol: DDTA was the truth! I was so upset when they discontinued it.

i've never used DDTA but i've heard/read y'all raving about it so i emailed Clairol. (i'm still LOL @ the underlined since i've NEVER used this product) Here's what they said:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the availability of Daily Defense Tender Apple Conditioner.

We apologize for any inconvenience, but as you know, we have stopped manufacturing this product. Sometimes, when a product does not sell as well as we expect it to and the consumer interest in it declines, it is discontinued. Unfortunately, there weren't enough other consumers who shared your enthusiasm for it.

Customers who have used this product in the past have found either our Herbal Essences Color Me Happy Conditioner or Hello Hydration Conditioner to be an excellent alternative.

We would like you to visit our website to receive a customized product recommendation based on your personal hair needs. To do so, go to www.herbalessences.com (www.herbalessences.ca in Canada) and click on "Find Your Collection". Based upon your responses to a list of questions, you will be advised on your options to helping you achieve your desired results.

We thank you for being a loyal customer and for your interest in our products.

^Good to know. Hello Hydration gets a lot of raves, so I wonder if it's the same recipe as DDTA just under a different name.

^Good to know. Hello Hydration gets a lot of raves, so I wonder if it's the same recipe as DDTA just under a different name.
I'm just now seeing this.

DDTA Ingredients:
Water, ammonium laureth sulfate, ammonium lauryl sulfate, glycol distearate, sodium chloride, cocamide mea, dimethicone, cetyl alcohol, sodium citrate, fragrance, polymethacrylamidopropyl trimonium chloride, sodium benzoate, peg-14M, dihydrogenated tallowamidoethyl, hydroxyethylmonium methosulfate, disodium edta, citric acid, ammonium sylenesulfonate, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone.

Hello Hydration Ingredients:
Water; Stearyl Alcohol; Cyclopentasiloxane; Cetyl Alcohol; Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine; Dimethicone; Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract; Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Milk; Fragrance; Glutamic Acid; Benzyl Alcohol; EDTA; Methylchloroisothiazolinone; Methylisothiazolinone; Blue 1

Gee, I wonder..... maybe it is this ingredient that made DDTA work:
Poly (methacrylamidopropyltrimethylammonium) Chloride MAQUAT PQ-125 is a 25% active Poly-methacrylamidopropyl trimethyl ammonium chloride in water. MAQUAT PQ-125 is a highly substantive, film forming Poly Quaternary that provides effective conditioning and body without build-up. Use in Conditioners and Relaxers, Conditioning Volumizing Shampoos, Skin Lotions, and Styling Gels, Mousses and Sprays.

MAQUAT PQ-125 is a unique high molecular weight cationic homopolymer that provides effective conditioning and flexible hold at low use concentrations, imparting non-greasy detangling, improves dry comb and fly away, while building volume and sheen, especially with colored, permed, sun dried and damaged hair. With a greater cationic charge density than found in traditional Hair/Skin Care Quaternaries, PQ-125 is also effective as a cationic emulsifier, and as an anti-static and softening agent in crèmes, lotions and other personal care products.

I used this conditioner yesterday to cowash and realized why I stocked pile it.
It was on sale for 50 cents a bottle when I realized it was being discontined.
I have never found another conditioner that equal and compare to DDTA with slip and detangling properties.
I probably have about 80 bottles left and hate to think what I will do when it all gone.:sad:

Back