Daily CoWashing and Increased Shedding

tuffCOOKiE

:perplexed

Guys, I'm really sad. Lately I thought I was doing something good for my hair by doing daily cowashes. I have been using a variety of condisioners but the only thing that gets my hair really moisturized in Joico Moisture Recovery Mask. I put it on my wet hair, leave it on for about 5 min and rinse it out and my hair is moisturised and dries very soft after I spray it w Aloe Vera Juice and LTR.

Problem:

I've been cowashing for the last three weeks and though my hair is softer, I ahve SIGNIFICANTLY more shedding due to the cowash. In the last two weeks I started doing weekly protein w Aubrey GPB and this morning when I looked at my bangs, they had the 'white spots' on some strands which means the hair shaft EXPLODED!!!

I really don't know what to do. I'm going to clarify and try a protein treatment tonight (ORS Mayo) followed by joico MR treatment and see what happens... Do you think I should start using protein daily? Is this a moisture deficiency problem?

Sorry so long, I just want to make sure I gave all the details.

I have relaxed, shoulder length type 4 hair. I have not used heat in about 3 months.

I also want to know what the Mega Tek users will say as I'm thinking of adding this to my regimine to see if this will keep my hair strong during my daily cowash

I don't think anyone should use protein daily :nono:

Light protein everyday is okay if your hair is not protein sensitive and you're not overusing it.

You really don't want to deal with too much protein on top of this problem :nono: Save megatek for when your hair returns to normal.

My suggestion is to do your treatment today, but STOP co washing daily. It's obvious that your hair doesn't like it! It's up to you how often you want to... but maybe just for now limit it to two per week and see how that works out for you.

I'd also do a lot of protective styling, try to keep manipulation down and really keep my hair moisturized until my hair returns to normal.

Sorry this happened to you!

Are you sure your shedding isn't due to a medical issue...or have you stopped/started a medicine within the last 3 months b/c this causing shedding too.

If not, I would try less manipulation for a few weeks and some sort of garlic (conditioner, homemade garlic oils, pills, etc.) and see if that makes a difference. It sounds like your doing too much/stress to your hair and scalp.

HTH

How long have you been using MT? It's not a good idea to use a lot of protein product AND MT. You're going to have protein overload. Cut back on the protein and up your moisture.

I don't think anyone should use protein daily :nono:

Light protein everyday is okay if your hair is not protein sensitive and you're not overusing it.

You really don't want to deal with too much protein on top of this problem :nono: Save megatek for when your hair returns to normal.

My suggestion is to do your treatment today, but STOP co washing daily. It's obvious that your hair doesn't like it! It's up to you how often you want to... but maybe just for now limit it to two per week and see how that works out for you.

I'd also do a lot of protective styling, try to keep manipulation down and really keep my hair moisturized until my hair returns to normal.

Sorry this happened to you!

See, I can't tell if my hair doesnt like it since my hair is so moisturised! That's why i thought I was over moisturizing since Joico MR is rich.

I think I should give it up since it seems my hair doesn't like it. I think I'll move to every three days from now on. Or I may give up cowashing entirely. My hair dries out so quickly is why I do it every day/every other day.

I do do protective styling! After my cowash, it goes into a loose bun and it stays pretty moist for the day.

I don't know what I'm gonna do now. The reason I started co washing was to restore moisture balance.

Are you sure your shedding isn't due to a medical issue...or have you stopped/started a medicine within the last 3 months b/c this causing shedding too.

If not, I would try less manipulation for a few weeks and some sort of garlic (conditioner, homemade garlic oils, pills, etc.) and see if that makes a difference. It sounds like your doing too much/stress to your hair and scalp.

HTH

I started a low dose bc (othro tri cyclin Lo) to help with cramping. But i started this in May! could it be? :blush: i'll have to research

How long have you been using MT? It's not a good idea to use a lot of protein product AND MT. You're going to have protein overload. Cut back on the protein and up your moisture.

No, no , no. I don't use MT. I was planning on starting since it seems my hair is getting weak from using it every day.

Also, I'm using the Joico moisture recovery, not the Kpak which is the protein condish.

I def would if that was the case though! thanks!

See, I can't tell if my hair doesnt like it since my hair is so moisturised! That's why i thought I was over moisturizing since Joico MR is rich.

I think I should give it up since it seems my hair doesn't like it. I think I'll move to every three days from now on. Or I may give up cowashing entirely. My hair dries out so quickly is why I do it every day/every other day.

I do do protective styling! After my cowash, it goes into a loose bun and it stays pretty moist for the day.

I don't know what I'm gonna do now. The reason I started co washing was to restore moisture balance.

Your hair may feel moisturized, but it's not going to help if it's shedding too much. Maybe your scalp doesn't like it.

I think you'll be fine if you just stop doing it every day. From personal experience, everyday co washing isn't for everyone.

I still co wash, I just don't have to do it every day to get the benefits from it.

Also... I was on low dose birth control for over a year. It didn't affect my hair at all. Most of the hair on my head right now was grown while I was taking it... so don't be too alarmed! It may be unrelated. :yep:

I agree w/some of the other ladies, back off of doing it daily and cut it down to 2-3 x's/wk. Too much moisture is a pretty easy fix, but too much protein takes a while to recover from. How about using something that's already a mixture of protein/moisture for your cowashes maybe 1 or 2 of those days and a moisturizing one on the other? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Joico Moisture Recovery Mask for extremely dry hair? If your hair isn't extremely dry, you don't wanna use it that often. If you're using it daily, that's DCing every day and that's too much :nono: . Until you can pinpoint the source of the excessive shedding (it could also be seasonal), I'd suggest starting off w/very light proteins or like I mentioned before, a product that's a mixture of both.

I started a low dose bc (othro tri cyclin Lo) to help with cramping. But i started this in May! could it be? :blush: i'll have to research

Yep, this might be it. Some pills make your hair shed in the beginning and some when you stop taking them. I'm going through this now...you should not be doing the co wash - too much manipulation. I try to only comb my hair when necessary (once a week).

Your hair may feel moisturized, but it's not going to help if it's shedding too much. Maybe your scalp doesn't like it.

I think you'll be fine if you just stop doing it every day. From personal experience, everyday co washing isn't for everyone.

I still co wash, I just don't have to do it every day to get the benefits from it.

Also... I was on low dose birth control for over a year. It didn't affect my hair at all. Most of the hair on my head right now was grown while I was taking it... so don't be too alarmed! It may be unrelated. :yep:

Sometimes while taking the pill your hair goes into a resting phase (like during pregnancy). My hair gets very thick while on the pill and sheds after stopping them.

Everyone's body is different, but if the OP does some research she'll see that BC pills/hormones do affect the hair and sometimes make the hair either shed at the beginning of taking them or after stopping them ...just like with some medicines.

HTH

Sometimes while taking the pill your hair goes into a resting phase (like during pregnancy). My hair gets very thick while on the pill and sheds after stopping them.

Everyone's body is different, but if the OP does some research she'll see that BC pills/hormones do affect the hair and sometimes make the hair either shed at the beginning of taking them or after stopping them ...just like with some medicines.

HTH

No, you misunderstood me.

I didn't mean that it never causes problems at all... just that it may not necessarily be the culprit.

I would think after taking the pills for 4 or 5 months, the side affects would have shown up a bit before now.

However, the change in regimen was much more recent... it leads me to believe that it is more likely that the pills aren't to blame - although I'm not saying it's impossible either!

I agree with Neith. Your hair is telling you it does not like the daily cowash. Try 3 times a week instead. Maybe you should try taking flax seed oil internally. If I remember correctly some members have reported it gave them good results.

Hope you find something that works for you OP!

I agree w/some of the other ladies, back off of doing it daily and cut it down to 2-3 x's/wk. Too much moisture is a pretty easy fix, but too much protein takes a while to recover from. How about using something that's already a mixture of protein/moisture for your cowashes maybe 1 or 2 of those days and a moisturizing one on the other? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Joico Moisture Recovery Mask for extremely dry hair? If your hair isn't extremely dry, you don't wanna use it that often. If you're using it daily, that's DCing every day and that's too much :nono: . Until you can pinpoint the source of the excessive shedding (it could also be seasonal), I'd suggest starting off w/very light proteins or like I mentioned before, a product that's a mixture of both.

I do have extremely dry hair! I know I have very, very dry hair by nature though. Sometimes I dont believe the labels because I dont think they know what I'm strugglin' wit'.

Well, thank you for that I think I'm gonna cut back. Do you think a DC is ok to do twice a week if I cowash every 3 days?

:perplexed

Guys, I'm really sad. Lately I thought I was doing something good for my hair by doing daily cowashes. I have been using a variety of condisioners but the only thing that gets my hair really moisturized in Joico Moisture Recovery Mask. I put it on my wet hair, leave it on for about 5 min and rinse it out and my hair is moisturised and dries very soft after I spray it w Aloe Vera Juice and LTR.

Problem:

I've been cowashing for the last three weeks and though my hair is softer, I ahve SIGNIFICANTLY more shedding due to the cowash. In the last two weeks I started doing weekly protein w Aubrey GPB and this morning when I looked at my bangs, they had the 'white spots' on some strands which means the hair shaft EXPLODED!!!

I really don't know what to do. I'm going to clarify and try a protein treatment tonight (ORS Mayo) followed by joico MR treatment and see what happens... Do you think I should start using protein daily? Is this a moisture deficiency problem?

Sorry so long, I just want to make sure I gave all the details.

I have relaxed, shoulder length type 4 hair. I have not used heat in about 3 months.

I am not an expert but I think the shedding is seasonal-related. Most humans go into shedding season in the late summer through the Fall.
I would suggest continuing your hair care regimen and calm yourself.
Your rate of shedding will return to normal soon. :yep: Hang in there!

Back