Daily Conditioner Washes Will It Make Dry Hair More Drier?

SignatureBeauty

I ask because I know that Natural hair loves water and I spritz daily with my spritz concotion because my hair is severly dry, I love the Conditioner washes and I do them about 2x a week.

But how is the daily washes beneficial to those who have very dry hair? Wouldn't that make the hair more drier?

Or would you suggest to those that have severly dry hair limit it to 3-4 x a week? I know most have success with it being CW Daily!

I would also like to say to ALL if you can invest in a shower filter because that made a huge difference in my dry hair, I got mine from Home Depot for $20

I'm a natural as well. :) I use to have a problem with dryness in the begining. Now I use a mixture of cheapo conditioner (like VO5 Coconut or Honey & Milk), EVOO & honey. My hair is lovin' it. :love: :woot:

sugaplum said:
I'm a natural as well. :) I use to have a problem with dryness in the begining. Now I use a mixture of cheapo conditioner (like VO5 Coconut or Honey & Milk), EVOO & honey. My hair is lovin' it. :love: :woot:

Hmmm, I am going to try your technique. I CO but found I'm having problems with dryness.

can someone please advise how to do a conditioner wash? Why don't you use shampoo? How do you do your hair afterward especially if you have short 4a/b hair?

I cowash about 3 times a week and my hair has only gotten healthier. It allows me to stretch my relaxers longer than I would I would have even imagined

wadadligyal said:
I cowash about 3 times a week and my hair has only gotten healthier. It allows me to stretch my relaxers longer than I would I would have even imagined

I agree with this, if it wasn't for co washes I wouldn't be able to stretch like I do.

I think it all depends on your co-washing technique.

Co-washing works best when you use conditioner to wash with and no other products OR conditioner to wash with and one other product like a light leave-in.

In the past, I used to get dry, crunchy hair from co-washing. It was because I used the wrong conditioner I believe and using too much conditioner when washing. Also, after rinsing the conditioner out, I would use some more conditioner on my hair as a leave-in. That's really what made my hair dry and crunchy after airdrying.

What works best for me is this:
Co-wash with Suave Humectant
Apply a small amount of S-Curl or nothing at all
Leaves me with SUPER SOFT tightly coiled hair!

CWashes are the truth, they really help me deal with the texture of my hair. But be weary of certain conditioners. I mean all conditioners are generally made to condition the hair but some are better suited for your hair than others. Just find the right one because I know of a few that leave my hair less moisturized than others..

i dont know...it must be a matter of preference....i have 3C hair and conditioner washes do nothing but dry my hair out..it'll seem to work for a little bit but then it does nothing but give me a headache (even if i clarify) and my texture starts to lack luster, scalp gets itchy and just feels oily and gritty...and i throughly rinse the conditioner out...

i find the only thing that works for me is a cleansing, conditioning, deep conditioning, and protein conditioning...other than that? i wash everyday (well before i got my cornrows in...;) )..but the conditioner seems to weigh my texture down severly and the straight ends (i have 3-4 inches new growth) PARTICULARLY hate it...lol damn woulda saved me on product costs too! lol :)

i'm natural and my hair was feeling very dry especially in some parts. a friend of mine got me on her routine of daily rinses, CWC'ing once a week and deep conditioning once a week. so i rinse (almost) daily and then put on leave-in condish. i conditioner wash mid-week (usually wednesday or thurs) with cheap conditioner and follow that with a good conditioner like Elucence that i rinse out (or leave-in, depending on how i feel.) then on the weekend (sunday) i conditioner wash and then do an SMT deep conditioner!! my hair has never felt better!!! also, i usually smooth on some jojoba oil at night - concentrating on ends and then runnings remainder thru hair.

who would've ever guessed that rinsing and CW's would combat my dryness! but it did. my hair isn't dry at all. and i have less split ends!! i think you'll like it.

I do need some wetness for styling/managing my hair. But It will never be water alone! I use leave in's and such. My hair definitley would HATE daily CO washing or rinsing!!!

More power to the ladies who's hair loves it though!

Well I do mine every 2-3 days and I use Suave Milk n Honey or Suave Citrus Smoothie and I add some Honey with my Conditioner washes it seems to make it really soft and shiny and it brings out my curls.

lsw29 said:
For the ladies who are doing daily conditioner washes, what conditoner are you all using?

I use either VO5 Milk & Honey, Coconut Conditioner or Strawberries & Cream (I mix all my cheapo's with EVOO & Honey).

For Deep Conditioning I use Organics Hair Mayo w/Kemi Oyl (Hot Oil Treatment) :woot:

Poohbear said:
I think it all depends on your co-washing technique.

What works best for me is this:
Co-wash with Suave Humectant
Apply a small amount of S-Curl or nothing at all
Leaves me with SUPER SOFT tightly coiled hair!
This is exactly what i use( i add EVOO to seal the mouisture in) and my hair looks so good afterwards. I have really dry hair too.

It really depends on what conditioner you are using and the type of water you have. If you want to do this daily, stay away from conditioners with cones in them.

bumping. I have been doing daily CW's and I am trying to find a routine that works best. What are some good cheap cone free conditioners that would work well?

I don't really want to do daily CW's, but my hair will tangle no matter what if I don't. I have tried everything and this is the only way I can go without heat and not have my hair tangle.

HEY I JACKED THIS FROM ANOTHER BOARD, I HOPE U DONT MIND JAZZI:)

hi ladies,
ive been browsing the forums and noticed a few of us are having bad luck w conditioner washing/no pooing. in order to gain the greastest results from this, you have to understand the do's and dont's of the routine. not every conditioner is compatible for cw's. there are alot of ingredients you have to know to avoid in order to gain full benefit. i will try to give a basic overview of what to avoid in products/conditioners to gain better results.

anything ending in -cone or -xane or beginning with cyclo cannot be used for effective cw's. check your products and conditioners for these b/c they coat/build up the hair shaft and cannot be removed by conditioner alone.
Ex: if you no poo w ddta, you havent conditioner washed. you've coated your hair w 2 silicones and defeated the purpose. if you used cantu shea butter leave in, youve coated your hair w a very harsh cone and conditioner washing will not clease your hair. you will need shampoo.

check for these ingredients. if you see them you know its a bad choice for no pooing. always read the ingredients before you buy anything for your hair! suave naturals, most V05's, and health food store conditoners are great cw choices. pantene, all suaves other than the naturals line, aussie, herbal essences etc. are bad choices for no poo.

conditioner alone will not remove the residue from heavy product. if you've used heavy oils/butters/styling products, conditioner will not cleanse your hair. keep product use to a minimum or opt for leave in conditoners in order to make cw effective.

acv neither clarifies nor removes silicone build up. thats a huge misconception. acv restores the hairs natural ph balance, so it gives the illusion of squeaky clean hair. if you dont follow the "curly girl" routine, it cannot clarify your hair alone. you will still have to use shampoo to clarify, then follow w acv. if you follow the routine, acv can remove build up from conditoners.

if you're going to try the no poo routine, read the book "curly girl" by lorraine massey. she created the routine and this book outlines it. cw/nopooing gets a bad rap here, but i think the main reason is not many of us do it correctly. there is a method to this...you just dont pick up conditioner and then say "it doesnt work!" you have to understand the routine then decide if its for you. im no expert or anything, but ve gotten great results b/c i read up on the routine.

hth anyone having no poo woes!:)

lwill38, thank you so much for your post. I also stated in my post that cones were the debbil when it comes to co-washing but you went into great detail with it. I wish everyone good luck and success with this great method. Thank you!!!! :kiss:

Thanks for sharing, lwill38. I agree with what is written there. I've been cowashing daily since last summer. But it has been most effective for me when I use conditioners with no cones and no protein. The cones I knew about. It took me a while to figure out the protein part. Also, it's been better when I use minimal products. I'm having the best success right now by using a bit of conditioner + honey as a leave in, without putting anything else in my hair. It's been really soft and no problems with dryness as long as I stick with this daily. :)

As long as I'm using a conditioner that compatible with my hair, I find conditioner washes to be highly beneficial. I stick with my beloved Tresemme' (Vitamin E/Moisture Rich) because when all else fails, it doesn't let me down.

Just like daily body washing, you need to moisturize afterward. I do daily conditioner washes when not wearing twists. My hair love it because I slather it down with conditioning products. I use Elasta QP Mango butter and castor oil, leave in conditioner and my ic fanstasia.

I think daily CO washes do the opposite of make your hair drier.
It definitely makes my hair a lot softer and more moisturised.

To anyone who is taking up CO washing, follow the instructions in lwill38's post.
I see too many posts about people getting build up when CO washing. Then you find out they've been using conditioners or products with silicones in them.

they just dont work for me...i love shampoo'ing anyway, if you have dry hair then go for it, but find out why you have dry hair 1st. than you really cant lose, maybe your scalp needs more internal oils.

If your hair is in oily then con washes could make it break...PerfectDoak is right about the cones n stuff, coneless r the best for CW

Back