CW with cheap conditioners=no benefits, is it me

Nanyanika

Why is it when i rinse my texturized hair with cheap conditioners such as pantene or VO5, they make my hair feel dry and make my ends frizz up and offers no slip whatsoever. am I the only person who doesn't benefit with instant conditioners? unless i add a deep rich conditioner immediately after.

Other relaxed ladies say CW with pantene, suave, vo5 makes their hair softer and moisturised, i'm not getting the same benefits, without a good rich follow up. i must have terrible unresponsive hair then.

Nah for the most part I agree with you. The only VO5 that works for me is the Honey and Almond Oasis Conditioner. The only Pantene that works is the Daily Moisture Recovery conditioner. However, my hair responded alot better when I used Miss Key 10 in 1 as a CW.

Which Suave's and VO5's are you using? Different scents work differently and they don't all give good results. Are you completely rinsing the conditioner out of your hair? I do a "fast" rinse, so there is still some left on my hair and I get pretty good results from doing that.

A lot of people have bad luck with the cheapies.
smile.gif
IIRC, brownrelaxedhair tried Pantene and V05 and hated them. She ended up loving Suave Tropical Coconut, Suave Humectant and Aussie 3-Minute Miracle.

[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
Nah for the most part I agree with you. The only VO5 that works for me is the Honey and Almond Oasis Conditioner. The only Pantene that works is the Daily Moisture Recovery conditioner. However, my hair responded alot better when I used Miss Key 10 in 1 as a CW.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh right....maybe i need to use my deep conditioners for CW instead.

I used VO5 Strawberries and cream,VO5 Pina colada, pantene smooth and sleek and pantene perfect curls and i always rinse out but leave a little coating on the hair. Thanks for the recommendations sassygirl i may try the Aussie one.

i get the same results as you when I use cheap conditioners. i tried vo5 which left my hair dry, hard, and EXTREMELY tangled. then i jumped on the bandwagon and got some suave milk and honey..which only did the same thing. i tried mixing them together..same results. so i just use garnier frutis...works like a charm.

Oh ok...I did my fair share of experimenting with cheap con's. I can only use 1 of the VO5's (Blueberries & Cream) and the Suave Milk & Honey and Suave Professionals (Humectant & Awaphi). It can be frustrating trying to find something inexpensive to use daily or whatever. But I've seen others on the board say that with the more expensive con's you don't have to use nearly as much, so everybody's probably pretty much breaking even cost wise : )

the v05 didnt work out too good for me, but I really like the suave milk & honey, it left my hair very soft.

Also,maybe u could add a little something to it like honey and/or EVOO, but I wouldnt do that every day because it could start to weight the hair down if done too often. I used this combo the other day bc my hair was feeling hard from the protein treatments Ive been doing, and my hair came out silky soft!

The only other thing I would suggest would be buying some of the better ones, but on sale or off ebay so its cheaper. And maybe u could mix a cheaper one with a better one to stretch it out...

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
the v05 didnt work out too good for me, but I really like the suave milk & honey, it left my hair very soft.

Also,maybe u could add a little something to it like honey and/or EVOO, but I wouldnt do that every day because it could start to weight the hair down if done too often. I used this combo the other day bc my hair was feeling hard from the protein treatments Ive been doing, and my hair came out silky soft!

The only other thing I would suggest would be buying some of the better ones, but on sale or off ebay so its cheaper. And maybe u could mix a cheaper one with a better one to stretch it out...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tip....
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
KhaLesSta said:
Oh ok...I did my fair share of experimenting with cheap con's. I can only use 1 of the VO5's (Blueberries & Cream) and the Suave Milk & Honey and Suave Professionals (Humectant & Awaphi). It can be frustrating trying to find something inexpensive to use daily or whatever. But I've seen others on the board say that with the more expensive con's you don't have to use nearly as much, so everybody's probably pretty much breaking even cost wise : )

[/ QUOTE ]

My deep conditioners are pretty thick and will probably go little furthur as compared to the light conditioners, but because the density of my hair I sill have to use tons to receive the benefits. this is so costly........

WHOA! I just looked at your album and I see exactly what your talking about! You have a whole LOT of hair wrapped up in those chiney bumps (or whatever they're called LOL). I was horrified when I saw it . Your hair is beautiful. You probably have to use close to a bottle of any kind of conditioner you use.
shocked.gif
I wish I had some other suggestions for you...I guess try some other cheap kinds or like the other girl suggested, try enhancing the cheapies by adding EVOO or something to them. Your hair looks great, keep up the good work!!

The best cheapies, IMO are Daily Defense Tender Apple and Suave Milk&Honey. The others are a joke. I also like to add some honey to my conditioners for added moisture if I feel the need.

The VO5 condioners did not work for me. The Suave ones worked much better like the Suave Tropical coconut or the Suave Freesia. Another good one for me is the Jasons Sea Kelp conditioner. The steam from the shower makes it penetrait nicely. Right now, I like the Dominican rinses for conditioner washes like Nacidit Olive Oil or 10 en 1. They leave the hair soooooooo soft.

Bottom line is, you'll have to experiment with different conditioners until you find the right ones for CW.

I haven't done ANY CWs lately, but I find that drugstore conditioners work inconsistently on my hair.

Ive been trying ot do conditioners everyother day until i start my crn and glory .But im finding my Hollywood buety conditioner making my hair very dry ,,im not sure whether its that or the ic fantasia gel

[ QUOTE ]
KhaLesSta said:
WHOA! I just looked at your album and I see exactly what your talking about! You have a whole LOT of hair wrapped up in those chiney bumps (or whatever they're called LOL). I was horrified when I saw it . Your hair is beautiful. You probably have to use close to a bottle of any kind of conditioner you use.
shocked.gif
I wish I had some other suggestions for you...I guess try some other cheap kinds or like the other girl suggested, try enhancing the cheapies by adding EVOO or something to them. Your hair looks great, keep up the good work!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you're right, i use up almost an entire bottle of conditioners, because of this big bush of mine..... Thanks again for the suggestions...

[ QUOTE ]
M_BYRON_M said:
Ive been trying ot do conditioners everyother day until i start my crn and glory .But im finding my Hollywood buety conditioner making my hair very dry ,,im not sure whether its that or the ic fantasia gel

[/ QUOTE ]

if i were you, I would lose the hollywood beauty conditioner, it dried out my hair and left it a tangled mess, i was soo vexxxed
mad.gif

I don't have great results with the cheapies either. I have been using Aubrey Organics conditioners for my co washes as well as Elucence MB or Keracare Humecto and I am pleased with the results that I get.

OK I think i know what to do now according to some of the suggestions you ladies made. i will buy some honey and evvo to mix with my instant conditioners, if that doesn't work i'll stick with using my deep conditioners for CW.

I'm not sure if I would recommend thicker conditioners such as deep conditioners. They can cause buildup if used every day and not rinsed throughly. Leave the cheapies alone if you must, but try to find a conditioner that is easy to rinse out.

[ QUOTE ]
missykeyana said:
I'm not sure if I would recommend thicker conditioners such as deep conditioners. They can cause buildup if used every day and not rinsed throughly. Leave the cheapies alone if you must, but try to find a conditioner that is easy to rinse out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...but the thicker ones tend to work better on my hair. how about keracare humecto then? or Nexxus Humectress?

[ QUOTE ]
missykeyana said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. When I tried to use my beloved humectress as CW, it left my hair too heavy and without bounce. I tried leclair cholestral, same thing (now these are conditioners that my hair LOVES whenever I use 'poo, but as CW, just too heavy). For CW, I like suave coconut tropical, sauve awaupi(?) and sauve humectant. I ALWAYS a few tablespoons each of honey, coconut milk and natural oils (castor, jojoba, olive, avacado, whatever I have in stock) to the cheapies for moisture boost and my hair comes out just perfect, light and moisturized and without breaking the bank using the more expensive stuff. Adding some oils, etc. may make a world of difference in your results . . .

I also hated the VO5 line and also the suave line, but I added some olive oil and coconut milk to it and I was able to use it without my hair feeling dry.

[ QUOTE ]
Neroli said:
[ QUOTE ]
missykeyana said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. When I tried to use my beloved humectress as CW, it left my hair too heavy and without bounce. I tried leclair cholestral, same thing (now these are conditioners that my hair LOVES whenever I use 'poo, but as CW, just too heavy). For CW, I like suave coconut tropical, sauve awaupi(?) and sauve humectant. I ALWAYS a few tablespoons each of honey, coconut milk and natural oils (castor, jojoba, olive, avacado, whatever I have in stock) to the cheapies for moisture boost and my hair comes out just perfect, light and moisturized and without breaking the bank using the more expensive stuff. Adding some oils, etc. may make a world of difference in your results . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

would'nt the addition of oil cling to my hair and create build-up, it may prove hard to rinse out?

[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Neroli said:
[ QUOTE ]
missykeyana said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

would'nt the addition of oil cling to my hair and create build-up, it may prove hard to rinse out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all -- I mix everything together in a bowl first: about a cup or so of the cheap condition with about 2 tablespoons oil (my current oil is avacado, but I've used castor, jojoba, olive, etc) 2 tablespoons honey and 2 tablespoons coconut milk. Stir well and apply to hair, leave on anywhere from 10 minutes to 1 hour depending on how much time I have. When I rinse out, nice and smooth as silk with no residue. Rollersets dry soft and bouncy. Believe me, I HATE oil of any kind on my hair, can't stand oily or greasy hair -- that's why the deep conditioners didn't work as CW for me, cause left my hair just a bit too "heavy" and not enough bounce after drying.

Neroli,
wow, this is almost the exact mixture I used the other day but I didnt measure~! I had mostly conditioner,poured in a little EVOO, a pack of honey, and a little coconut milk. Then I warmed it for 10 or 15 seconds. It worked like magic on my hair that was feeling rough and brittle!

Many shampoos/conditioners have oils(good oils) already in them, so just think of it as a conditioner u already bought, by the time u mix it up it has the same consistency as one. And it smells good too!

[ QUOTE ]
Neroli said:
[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Neroli said:
[ QUOTE ]
missykeyana said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all -- I mix everything together in a bowl first: about a cup or so of the cheap condition with about 2 tablespoons oil (my current oil is avacado, but I've used castor, jojoba, olive, etc) 2 tablespoons honey and 2 tablespoons coconut milk. Stir well and apply to hair, leave on anywhere from 10 minutes to 1 hour depending on how much time I have. When I rinse out, nice and smooth as silk with no residue. Rollersets dry soft and bouncy. Believe me, I HATE oil of any kind on my hair, can't stand oily or greasy hair -- that's why the deep conditioners didn't work as CW for me, cause left my hair just a bit too "heavy" and not enough bounce after drying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for posting this...sounds like a good little concoction of ingredients, so i need to purchase some oils, coconut milk, and honey to mix with a cheap con of my choice...that's great.....I'll try this on my next CW on Friday...I'll report back
grin.gif

Re: CW with cheap conditioners=no benefits, is it

Good Luck Den! you might also try Aussie Moist. This is a cheap conditioner that usually does really well with my hair... makes it feel like butta ... when my hair starts acting "weird"...i.e. it gets hard... to too dry.

Back