CW & Dusty hair

HERicane10

Ladies, I really love daily CW. But I've noticed that my black hair (colored) seem to have no sheen ( even after putting coconut oil on it) and looks rather ashy in natural lighting. Is anyone else experiencing this? What could it be? I usually clarify 1x per month. And as much as I henna, my hair should BLING like platinum:lol: . HELP ME OUT!

My routine is: CW, add more conditioner as leave in, then coconut oil over that and on ends. Sometimes I add Hawaiian silky activator after "leave in" to smooth into bun, then oil. And thats it.

Last edited:
HERicane10 said:
Ladies, I really love daily CW. But I've noticed that my black hair (colored) seem to have no sheen ( even after putting coconut oil on it) and looks rather ashy in natural lighting. Is anyone else experiencing this? What could it be? I usually clarify 1x per month. And as much as I henna, my hair should BLING like platinum:lol: . HELP ME OUT!

My routine is: CW, add more conditioner as leave in, then coconut oil over that and on ends. Sometimes I add Hawaiian silky activator after "leave in" to smooth into bun, then oil. And thats it.

Hawaiian Silky Activator used to give me dusty hair on its own. It worked great for the first week and then after that, it's like my hair stopped liking it.

You might also be adding too much conditioner to your hair as a leave in. Do you dilute it with water? What ratio? Maybe you could try using a moisturizing sulfate shampoo on the second week and then completely clarfying on the fourth week.

Just throwing out suggestions- LOL!

Thanks alot gloomgeisha! I'm such a scrooge, I don't especially care for the Hawaiian silky, but I didn't want to waste it. Oh well! that's that, I can't tried shine for dingy at any price.

And no I don't dilute. But I do put it on soaking wet hair, maybe a half-dollar size (ok 2 half-dollars) on SL hair

It sounds as though you might need to clarify your hair with a clarifying shampoo due to product buildup which will also give your hair a dull appearance. I use a cheapy clarifying shampoo (Suave), but it works and it does not totally strip my hair.

Yeah - it sounds like your hair is showing buildup, and needs clarification - does the conditioner that you cowash with have silicones in them? That might make it worse.....

I rotate Suave, VO5, Breck, Flexx, & Daily Defence Water Lily. I'll try clarifying at my next poo on Thursday. Thanks ladies for your input.

HERicane10 said:

OT: Hericane, do you use a black permanent color? My sister wants me to henna her hair, but she uses Creme of Nature black permanent color and I'm scared she may get the frog-butt green hair? Are you permanent or semi-perm?

That same thing used to happen to me. I thought it was the oil, but it was the conditioner. I guess it was just too heavy to be used w/o shampooing between uses. Try using another conditioner or one specifically made to be used as a leave-in.

Lavendar: I've been using Adore in Velvet Black which is a semiperm., prior to that I used a henna/herbal hair color called Indica (you just add water). But I love the BLACKEST-BLACK you can get and TSUPrincess has a beautiful pic in her siggy, where she used Optimum in Natural Black which is a permanent. I've done a lot of research about mixing henna + commercial hair dye, since I can't buy indigo locally to try. All the info I've read, of course says do a strand test, but as long as its BAQ henna (no metals) then the hair should be fine.

I couldn't take it anymore (dull hair), and actually just rinsed out my last little bit of Adore (1 bottle is usually 2-3 treatments for me)

Thanks alot Sareca! Since I was on this daily CW binge, I'd PM'd Anky about whether she still used a lot of leave-in or after wash products since you rinse them away daily and she said that she just CW and then used the same conditioner as leave-in. Oh well! Guess I'm like you, rather heavy handed.
What do you think? Since I'm CW daily, and henna biweekly, do I really need anything other than oil or a creamy moisturizer?
OT: Love your wash-n-go how to!

HERicane10, I love your hair and I think it's very beautiful healthy and super shinney. Has it dulled over the last couple of weeks? Just wondering.

dlewis

Hey D! Thanks for the compliment!(Cuz we all know...D knows shiney):) Maybe its just me looking in the mirror to much. I've been CW daily for the past 2-3 weeks and really hadn't changed my clarifying routine. But it just seemed that after 15+ henna treatments, I should have more shine to show for it.:(

HERicane10 said:
Lavendar: I've been using Adore in Velvet Black which is a semiperm., prior to that I used a henna/herbal hair color called Indica (you just add water). But I love the BLACKEST-BLACK you can get and TSUPrincess has a beautiful pic in her siggy, where she used Optimum in Natural Black which is a permanent. I've done a lot of research about mixing henna + commercial hair dye, since I can't buy indigo locally to try. All the info I've read, of course says do a strand test, but as long as its BAQ henna (no metals) then the hair should be fine.

Thanks Hericane! You are absolutely right. I found this topic mentioned on the henna for hair site last night and they mentioned the same thing.;)

Back