Cutting Bangs?

I really want to get bangs. I've never had them in my entire life but I always wanted them from time to time. I think I finally have the balls to do it but I'm wary because my hair is rather fine and I also have a center part and when I take the hair over my forehead it separates where the part is. I really do NOT want side swept bangs, I just want straight down long wispy ones.
I don't plan on doing it myself, I wanted to make a salon appt but I'm so scared lol. I don't want th ebangs to start too far back either, I want them very much at the front, not toward the middle of my head.

Anyone have bangs? Hate them, love them? How long did i take to grow them out if u hated them lol?
How do they work as far as straightening hair? I keep my hair straight 99% of the time in the cold seasons.

I got bangs this summer. It was just a quick choice and I went to a shortcuts equivalent. Like one of those cheap hair cut chains. It was cheap like $10 but my main issue was the cut wasn't that good.

I loved my bangs but the stylist made an uneven part so although it looks okay, when you closely examine my hair the amount of hair she pulled from the right is more than the amount she pulled from the left. Also it's not a straight line part. These are trivial things and I only notice when I section off my bangs from the rest of my hair to wash them which is what I'll do if hey get too weighed down and I don't feel like washing my whole head.

My other complaint is that my hair is VERY THICK. She cut my hair and I walked in with a fresh roller set which didnt show its thickness so she Cut more hair then needed IMO. I've been air drying more and I realized I didn't need to part my hair as far back bc it's so thick.

I say if you want them then get them. Be careful and try not to flatiron if too much bc you don't want to thin out your edges from excess heat. I tried different things to preserve sleekness like using a small roller in the front when I went to bed or wrapping it. I found that wrapping worked best for me and although it would kinda lean towards the direction of the wrap after I got ready and brushed it a little it would fall straight down like normal.

Also another suggestion is go to a tired stylist. I went to the cheap place because the aveda salon next door was going to charge $60 and It included wash, style, bangs and a dusting of ends. I felt like $60 was too much for just a small portion of my hair but looking back on it I would have liked my results better if I went there.

Also keep in mind that you hair grows so if it grows fast be sure to trim them regularly to keep them from getting too long. And if you have a relaxer or texturizer you will have to flat iron a little more to match the textures.

Sorry for writing so much but good luck and post pics if you make the choice to get the cut!

Last edited:
thank you, that was very helpful!!
I was planning on going to a salon at the mall rather than a super cheap place. I want a gay man to do it for some reason :lol:.
And yeah I'm very afraid of them parting me too far back because my hair actually is rather fine but if they even try it I will refuse. I don't like bangs that start near the middle of the head and I think they wold look HORRID with my features. I need bangs that are parted off really close to my forehead.
I think I want bangs that are slightly longer on the sides too.
I'm going to consult with someone soon about it.

I want them just like this basically:
very, much in the front, parted off right over the forehead. I may even show them this pic from my phone to make sure they get it.
Lol I just realized that this girl in the pic resembles gabulldawg, this is your white girl twin :lol:
debbyryanwavyhairstylewithbangs.jpg

my texture is obviously more like this but I don't like the side sweep nor how far back on the head these are and I have a feeling these are the kinds of bangs they will have in mind :lol: pretty but not for me
long-hair-styles-02.jpg

Last edited:
There are 2 salons at the mall that I'm going to and one is an Aveda salon, I think that will be my choice since I trust Aveda.. gonna see if I can get an appt for Monday.. but I definitely don't want wash, style etc, I'll be going there with my hair done. I just want the bangs lol.

Yes, definitely take a picture. I asked a stylist to cut bangs years ago ( I wanted wispy) I wasn't paying attention & she parted way back, like as far back as my ears:nono: my hair is very thick
...it looked AWFUL. I must say that it grew out incredibly fast.

Last August LHCF member Dontspeakdefeat cut a small section for me into bangs. it was above my eyebrows, they've grown and are now touching my bottom lip. Hmmm, wish the rest of my hair grew as fast!

Yes, definitely take a picture. I asked a stylist to cut bangs years ago ( I wanted wispy) I wasn't paying attention & she parted way back, like as far back as my ears:nono: my hair is very thick
...it looked AWFUL. I must say that it grew out incredibly fast.

Last August LHCF member Dontspeakdefeat cut a small section for me into bangs. it was above my eyebrows, they've grown and are now touching my bottom lip. Hmmm, wish the rest of my hair grew as fast!

Oh heck no! My heart raced as I read that. I will stress emphatically that it's in the front or the highway lol. That looks wiggy and horrible and I can just imagine how big it would make my nose look :lol: I'll be out of that chair if they try parting me further back than I want, it's got to be just the very front. I should do it myself but I dont have the guts lol.

Oh heck no! My heart raced as I read that. I will stress emphatically that it's in the front or the highway lol. That looks wiggy and horrible and I can just imagine how big it would make my nose look :lol: I'll be out of that chair if they try parting me further back than I want, it's got to be just the very front. I should do it myself but I dont have the guts lol.

Shame you aren't in Atl dontspeakdefeat would take care of you:yep:

I just made two appts for tomorrow at the mall :look:, both sounded good, one set me up with a man which I sort of wanted, I think gays cut hair well :lol: and then at another on that has 2 excellent reviews and sells aveda stuff. I don't know which to choose. I'm so neurotic that I made 2 appts just in case. I'll cancel one beforehand :look:.
I'm so excited/nervous. I just want to make sure they listen to me. I'll be keeping a hawks eye on what theyre doing parting wise :lol:.
How am I going to choose lol? I haven't let anyone have at my hair in years! This is soooo scary esp since it's cutting.
I don't even let anyone wash and style my hair anymore.

I want them just like this basically:
very, much in the front, parted off right over the forehead. I may even show them this pic from my phone to make sure they get it.
Lol I just realized that this girl in the pic resembles gabulldawg, this is your white girl twin :lol:

my texture is obviously more like this but I don't like the side sweep nor how far back on the head these are and I have a feeling these are the kinds of bangs they will have in mind :lol: pretty but not for me

:lol: To funny. I don't think I look like her. I used to wear bangs and pretty much liked them. I'd wear them until I got tired of them and let them grow out. Please share pics if you get them!

glad i could help. deffinitely bring pictures of what you want. and i don't think it would hurt to bring pictures of styles you don't want so you can point out to them things you don't like for instance staring too far back or having them side swept, etc.

I have worn bangs most of my life. They started out as my mother basically parting a section of hair in front and setting it on a pink foam roller. :look:. As I got older, I started cutting my own bangs. I had china bangs through high school and in college I let them "grow out" into swoop bangs. I even have bangs now as a natural. My bangs sit at my chin stretched and shrink to just above my eyes.

I am on the fence about whether or not to let them get any longer. I'm starting to get used to not having hair on my forehead because of protective styling, BUT I do not like hair in my eyes or having to push hair out of my way to see. Idk.

I've been thinking of bangs too, actually, now that I have the rest of my hemline in order. I had a weave once, same length as my hair is now, with some really short bangs and it was cute! But I don't wanna be forced to flat iron. Maybe I'll roller set.

Tell us how it works out, serena, and take pics. :yep:

I have worn bangs most of my life. They started out as my mother basically parting a section of hair in front and setting it on a pink foam roller. :look:. As I got older, I started cutting my own bangs. I had china bangs through high school and in college I let them "grow out" into swoop bangs. I even have bangs now as a natural. My bangs sit at my chin stretched and shrink to just above my eyes.

I am on the fence about whether or not to let them get any longer. I'm starting to get used to not having hair on my forehead because of protective styling, BUT I do not like hair in my eyes or having to push hair out of my way to see. Idk.

BraunSugar My mom used to do the same thing! Foam roller and all! :lachen:

glad i could help. deffinitely bring pictures of what you want. and i don't think it would hurt to bring pictures of styles you don't want so you can point out to them things you don't like for instance staring too far back or having them side swept, etc.

Good idea! gonna do that as well!

I've been thinking of bangs too, actually, now that I have the rest of my hemline in order. I had a weave once, same length as my hair is now, with some really short bangs and it was cute! But I don't wanna be forced to flat iron. Maybe I'll roller set.

Tell us how it works out, serena, and take pics. :yep:

will do. i'm soooo nervous about this :lol: I may just duck out of it altogether. I hope I don't freak out lol, I will DIE in the char if I see them parting my hair too far back lol, I just want bangs right over the forehead. Theyre going to have to work slow and so I can see or I'm out of there. I have NEVER had bangs and since I flat iron all the time anyway it shouldn't be a problem. I'm ready for a change, Ive been wearing center and then side parts for sooooo long now

I have had bangs all my life. And I've ranged from Betty page to really long ones like I have now. They are really nice, and I can't see not ever having any....but if you are prone to break outs be careful with oils(or I mean u can cover those with the bangs too hahaha). I flat iron those the most so I usually wrap my hair at night. This keeps them from lying too flat and prevents me from applying too much heat damage (and you will know when you get heat damage on your bangs...it's the worst). But have the stylist show you how much he is going to cut before he cuts it, then you can decide the length and thickness. Mine are pretty far back and I can go from thin bangs to really thick ones pretty easily.

So yeah, cut them! They are fun, just be careful with heat, it's really easy to over curl or flatten your bangs. If you want them really curly use a roller at night just on that section instead of doing a wrap set.

ive officialy lost my nerve lol. I will not be making either appt later :look:.
If i do it at all I will do it myself, I'm too neurotic to let anyone near my head... I know exactly where I want the parting and I have a perfunctory knowledge of hair trimming from when I wore extensions and Youtube is helpful, I even have a razor shear thingy if it looks too blunt which I'm sure it won't since I'd be using soo little hair and my hair is sort of angel textured lol when straightened, kind of wispy...

Last edited:
Back