CUT Before or After Relaxer?

BlackDiamond21

Hi ladies,
I found a new stylist that I have meshed with and I am going to start a new hair regiment with her. I have not been able to make it to long time sylist and my hair is showing it. I have so much breakage and I am all over the place in finding products that work.
My new stylist, Ray, said that she belives I need to cut my hair about an inch due to all the breakage. Honestly I believe she is right. Trying to hold onto fray/split ends by doing bare minimum trims hasn't been working. My bangs in front are past my chin and I have breakage in that area that goes all the way up to my nose. :nono: I told her that I relax about every 6-8 weeks, which she thought was good but said that my hair looks over processed. I have been alternating between Soft & Beautiful Botanical Relaxer (for my sensitve scalp) and S&B Ultimate Protection w/ Oil Relaxer (I prefer the one with Oil nowadays b/c it has left my hair feeling so nice afterward and a not bone straight). When she was roller setting it, it was just coming out and all up in the comb. She wasn't pulling or anything, so I know it isn't her method. I have very fine hair and rarely if ever use my curling iron or Chi flat iron. Maybe once every 2-3 months. My hair never holds a curl anymore and it used to when it was shoulder length, so I know it is possible. It hurts so much to see all the hair coming out... I am so sad and you all are the only women I can share this with who truly understand. I am so depressed about all of this. I have been working so hard at growing it out and loving it but it's just not worth it looking crazy. My hair ends haven't looked salon smooth since lawd knows when. I just passed the BSL (w/o stretching) and will probably end up somewhere between APL and BSL after the cut. :sad:
My question to you ladies and professionals is it ok to cut the hair 2-3 weeks before a relaxer? I usually get my hair trimmed or cut right after a relaxer (right after the conditioner has been rinsed out) but I wasn't sure if timing mattered.
Of course I would rather get it over with (the sooner it will get better) but I wanted to know if that is the right thing to do?
Any advice would help me greatly. I am due back in her chair Friday and need to know asap. Thanks everyone!
BD21

P.S. Thank you for letting me vent... I could use a :grouphug3:

It's best to do it after a relaxer. If you can't wait until then I suggest you get your stylist to straighten it as smooth as it will go with a flatiron before cutting it.

It's best to do it after a relaxer. If you can't wait until then I suggest you get your stylist to straighten it as smooth as it will go with a flatiron before cutting it.

Thank you for responding. As a professional, I have never asked anyone this before, is it ok to cut someone's hair dry? I always thought it had to be wet. Could you explian the difference between a wet cut and a dry one? I mean, does one give you better results then the other or it doesn't matter? Just curious...

Thank you for responding. As a professional, I have never asked anyone this before, is it ok to cut someone's hair dry? I always thought it had to be wet. Could you explian the difference between a wet cut and a dry one? I mean, does one give you better results then the other or it doesn't matter? Just curious...
I cut hair both wet and dry. It just depends on the person and the situation.

There is not really a difference between cutting wet or dry it's just about preference. Sometimes I will cut wet and then blowdry the hair and refine the cut dry. Sometimes I cut completely dry. Someone with a lot of newgrowth I would most definitely cut dry but someone who is freshly relaxed I might cut wet.

Black Diamond,
Dontspeakdefeat may agree with me on this. I personally like getting my ends trim after a relaxer. I think that the chemicals from the relaxer exposes all the imperfections in the hair. It opens up the cuticles and frays any split end you may have. So I think a fresh cut should come after a relaxer.

Back