custom or stock SYNTHETIC lace fronts?

I have the April Lacefront - I bought it in 613, Platinum Blonde and dyed it a perfect Beyonce-ish shade. I posted some pics on BHM a while back, just haven't had a chance to try it on and take pics because I have been so busy. So far I can say, I am really pleased with the quality of the hair (remi) and the ability to dye it.

wait a minute, you mean all these people we see in mags and tv, movies, Jlo, Beyonce, Tyra are wearing lace fronts. Ok I must be way behind I knew about weaves and stuff but I didn't know about this.
For those who have used this, how does your hair hold up underneath, is there any damage, can you continue a hair growth regime/care while sporting this?

Lucia said:
wait a minute, you mean all these people we see in mags and tv, movies, Jlo, Beyonce, Tyra are wearing lace fronts. Ok I must be way behind I knew about weaves and stuff but I didn't know about this.
For those who have used this, how does your hair hold up underneath, is there any damage, can you continue a hair growth regime/care while sporting this?

I know that J-Lo sometimes wears extensions but I doubt she wears the lace front wigs.

She woulnd't be able to do that ridiculous baby hair that she's always doing with that would she? :lol:

What do you do with your hair underneath?
Is it pretty easy to put on yourself?
How long do you think the hair/wig will last? A couple of months, year?

Here are a couple of pics that I posted on another site of how the wig looks now at about the 6 week point. I took these pics on Monday. The wig is holding up very well and I have "worked" it quite a bit. It has definitely been work the money. Also I have now switched from using the glue to using this tape to hold it on. And the tape is the way to go IMO. Much easier to deal w/than the glue. The tape was purchased at adventhair.com. The Euro flex tape.

upclosepart.jpg

headdown.jpg

fullviewedit.jpg

carmend said:
Here are a couple of pics that I posted on another site of how the wig looks now at about the 6 week point. I took these pics on Monday. The wig is holding up very well and I have "worked" it quite a bit. It has definitely been work the money. Also I have now switched from using the glue to using this tape to hold it on. And the tape is the way to go IMO. Much easier to deal w/than the glue. The tape was purchased at adventhair.com. The Euro flex tape.

upclosepart.jpg

headdown.jpg

fullviewedit.jpg

Now I ordered mine, but the one I got seemed defective because the cream band was showing in the scalp/crown area. This was the Amber in Perm Straight. I had to send it back as it was very thin in the top. They claim that this is how it is all the time with this cream band showing, yet in CarmenD's pics, I don't see it... check my album under lace front (yahoo) and see if ya'll's look like this. I really liked this wig, but when I made the straight part as well, the cream net band was exposed. I was seeing alot of netting. Of course they are not going to give me a refund and I wouldn't mind an exchange, but I don't want it if all the net is going to be showing through. I think they want to charge me to re-shp it too. I am upset. Is this how the wig normally looks? Holla back somebody.
3efe.jpg

d89a.jpg

5d9d.jpg

Last edited:
Caremend
Do you find that you have ahd any breakage around your hair line from using the glue and the tape for the lace front?

AJamericanDiva, I cant open ur pics but it sounds like what u are calling the cream band is actually the portion of the wig that is made of monofilament material. This is how its supposed to be. The very front of the wig edge should be lace. That is about 1 inch then from there to the back of the crown is the monofil.. after that the wig is a black fish net type of material. The monofil will look like scalp no matter what u put it on top of. But the lace is so sheer that u will see whatever (hair or forehead) underneath. Which is why you MUST put something under there to act as the "scalp" for that 1st inch. I used the waistband from a pair of stockings (my skin color). Others will just put on a full skin colored wig cap. Without the waistband you would see my black hair and then the obvious start of the monofil top. So what u see in my pics is my hair with a nylon waistband on top and then the lace on top of that. Did u actually try the wig on? And what they told u about it being thin is probably right b/c generally if u get it too thick then it is gonna look like a wig. In fact I had to remove some of the hairs from the hairline to make it look more natural. Also what color did u get?

ETA: You can dye it but its hard b/c u have to make sure u dont get any dye on the lace or it will stain... I believe DangerouslyShy dyed hers sucessfully... Also, I havent had any breakage of either my hair or hairline from the wig... My hair is braided up underneath.

Now I ordered mine, but the one I got seemed defective because the cream band was showing in the scalp/crown area. This was the Amber in Perm Straight. I had to send it back as it was very thin in the top. They claim that this is how it is all the time with this cream band showing, yet in CarmenD's pics, I don't see it... check my album under lace front (yahoo) and see if ya'll's look like this. I really liked this wig, but when I made the straight part as well, the cream net band was exposed. I was seeing alot of netting. Of course they are not going to give me a refund and I wouldn't mind an exchange, but I don't want it if all the net is going to be showing through. I think they want to charge me to re-shp it too. I am upset. Is this how the wig normally looks? Holla back somebody.

Last edited:
Wow....you guys are so creative when it comes to hair. And I thought I was doing something with my little homemade bun...haha

Thanks for your help, CarmenD... I figured that the monofil should look like scalp, but instead it was a cream band that looked obvious like a "cream band" as opposed to scalp. I didn't have a problem with the hairline. It just appeared that there was a bald spot. Isabel just called me back and said when she put it on, she saw what I was talking about. She was the one that said it looked like a bald spot. She said it might be the way they rolled it, but even when she looked at it from other angles, it still looked like a bald spot. I was like "Exactly! I have hair that is almost brastrap length. Why would I want to pay $209 to wear hair that looks like it has a bald spot?" She said all the other ones in permed straight appeared that way. I tried it on my head and that's what the pics were of. Here's a link to the album with the pics. You should be able to see them so you know what I'm talking about. Diva's Lacefront pics She said she would go see how it looked in the regular Amber which is a silky texture and call me back. I told her that as long as it didn't have the appearance of baldspots, I'd take it. Furthermore, they will only give me a credit or an exchange. I got it in #4. I liked the color and texture, but the bald spot had to go!!!

carmend said:
AJamericanDiva, I cant open ur pics but it sounds like what u are calling the cream band is actually the portion of the wig that is made of monofilament material. This is how its supposed to be. The very front of the wig edge should be lace. That is about 1 inch then from there to the back of the crown is the monofil.. after that the wig is a black fish net type of material. The monofil will look like scalp no matter what u put it on top of. But the lace is so sheer that u will see whatever (hair or forehead) underneath. Which is why you MUST put something under there to act as the "scalp" for that 1st inch. I used the waistband from a pair of stockings (my skin color). Others will just put on a full skin colored wig cap. Without the waistband you would see my black hair and then the obvious start of the monofil top. So what u see in my pics is my hair with a nylon waistband on top and then the lace on top of that. Did u actually try the wig on? And what they told u about it being thin is probably right b/c generally if u get it too thick then it is gonna look like a wig. In fact I had to remove some of the hairs from the hairline to make it look more natural. Also what color did u get?

ETA: You can dye it but its hard b/c u have to make sure u dont get any dye on the lace or it will stain... I believe DangerouslyShy dyed hers sucessfully... Also, I havent had any breakage of either my hair or hairline from the wig... My hair is braided up underneath.

carmend said:

I saw her pics you can click the link in her sig and it will take you to it...
I see what shes talking about....Im trying to remember if mine looked like that, i dont think it was as noticeable on mine.

DangerouslyShy said:
I saw her pics you can click the link in her sig and it will take you to it...
I see what shes talking about....Im trying to remember if mine looked like that, i dont think it was as noticeable on mine.

Hey, DS... you got the regular Amber, didn't you... not the permed straight? The girl that works there said all the permed straight looked like that. I said my friend (that would be you, CarmenD) posted pics and it didn't look like that." She said she would see how the other textured Amber was. I told her I'd take any texture as long as it doesn't have the appearance of a bald spot.

OMG- I bought one off of someone and it had the same bald spot. So I know exactly what you are talking about. Like they forgot to add enough hair to that portion, right? When I brush it to make a middle part it disappears but it makes me scared to wear it for fear that it might show.

ETA: I jsut saw your pics mine looks exactly like that.

Last edited:
cutebajangirl said:
OMG- I bought one off of someone and it had the same bald spot. So I know exactly what you are talking about. Like they forgot to add enough hair to that portion, right? When I brush it to make a middle part it disappears but it makes me scared to wear it for fear that it might show.

YUP, CBG!!! This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. More than likely your friend sold it to your for that reason. I'm soooo paranoid and would probably end up NOT wearing the wig for that reason, but at $209 that would be a HUGE waste of money. That's why I'm curious if it showed on CarmenD's wig. I sure didn't see it in the pics. Did you have a permed straight texture or something silky??? Looks like Imma move on to the April wig. I am just waiting for them to get my colors in stock... I'm too lazy to go through the trouble of dying the wig.

OK. I see the pics and yall got me cracking up about this bald spot :lachen: But I wouldnt worry. I think it is a combo of how it is combed/styled and the fact that you can see the black hair underneath so it is drawing attention to that spot. I would try it on w/a nude colored wig cap on underneath and also once u wash its gonna lay flat and not have that shape too it, which I believe is adding to the "balding" affect.... The color is pretty... :)

No no not at all, everything was totally above board! It was too small for her and the color too light for her skin tone and she threw in all the adhesives. :) I think the lighter colors get processed from dying and so when it is put on a wig the strands are finer and you are gonna get a more gappy appearance. I jut took it out again and I honestly think that once flat ironed it will all smooth out. I just dont have time to mess with it right now and will take with me to the hairdresser (my dermatologist banned me from having curling irons after my latest burn:lachen: ) when I get my weave redone to have her straighten it and cut some bangs and a get a V shape in the back. I think it will look fine then. It is permed straight.

carmend said:
OK. I see the pics and yall got me cracking up about this bald spot :lachen: But I wouldnt worry. I think it is a combo of how it is combed/styled and the fact that you can see the black hair underneath so it is drawing attention to that spot. I would try it on w/a nude colored wig cap on underneath and also once u wash its gonna lay flat and not have that shape too it, which I believe is adding to the "balding" affect.... The color is pretty... :)

I got a two I think the color is so pretty and it is a very light two like everyone was saying. Very close to your 4 AJD. I think I will put some low lights in though at some point in time.

Last edited:
carmend said:

What do you think about the white band half way in?

The "white band" is where the monofil top comes in and connects to the lace. Thats how its supposed to look. Mine would look the same way if I took the stocking waisteband off from my hairline. If u look at her pic again and try and image something nude color underneath where u see the black hair, then maybe u can understand that the "band" wouldnt even be noticeable if it werent for the black "scalp"....

carmend said:

Phew! Thanks, Girl! WEll, I can't try anything just now as they have my wig. I'm still in the "deciding what to do" phase. She said she was going to see if it was like that with the silky texture and get back to me. So... I am correct in saying that yours was like that too and wearing a nude colored wig cap took away the "bald spot" effect? :lachen: No, seriously!!! Yours looks good in the pics and was the reason I got it.

carmend said:
Also I have now switched from using the glue to using this tape to hold it on. And the tape is the way to go IMO. Much easier to deal w/than the glue. The tape was purchased at adventhair.com. The Euro flex tape.

Alright, Missy! Be specific! I went to the site and they have 3 items labelled as Euroflex. Which do you have? The 12" strips that come 2 per package, the mini bonding adhesive tabs or the Pro-Flex roll? (They say they refer to the Pro-Flex roll as both Dura-Flex & Euro-Flex).

cutebajangirl said:
No no not at all, everything was totally above board! It was too small for her and the color too light for her skin tone and she threw in all the adhesives. :) I think the lighter colors get processed from dying and so when it is put on a wig the strands are finer and you are gonna get a more gappy appearance. I jut took it out again and I honestly think that once flat ironed it will all smooth out. I just dont have time to mess with it right now and will take with me to the hairdresser (my dermatologist banned me from having curling irons after my latest burn:lachen: ) when I get my weave redone to have her straighten it and cut some bangs and a get a V shape in the back. I think it will look fine then. It is permed straight.

OK... good to know. Do you think you really got a #2? You may actually have a #4 if it's permed straight and looks like mine. On the website they only offer the perm straight in two colors which are #1 and #4. Is it possible? And by the way... stop foolin' wit' dem curling irons if you takin' off skin and all that nasty stuff!!!!!

And now for today's PSA...
The April lacefront has been updated with additional colors. I just ordered #330!!!! Now making my exit!!!

BTW, I decided to go ahead and go with the Amber Perm Straight based on CarmenD's "revelation" although the girl thought that the silky textured one appeared thicker. .. and yes, they are charging me for shipping no matter what wig I chose. Humph!

AJamericanDiva said:
OK... good to know. Do you think you really got a #2? You may actually have a #4 if it's permed straight and looks like mine. On the website they only offer the perm straight in two colors which are #1 and #4. Is it possible? And by the way... stop foolin' wit' dem curling irons if you takin' off skin and all that nasty stuff!!!!!

It is not the same, my 2 is very sandyish hence the color issues with the original buyer. I wore color 2 and 4 by them before in a weave and the lace front is matches the 2 I had before.They offered 1,1b,2,4 before but we are late to the game :lol: so now they only have the 1 and 4.

I have 2nd and a little bit of 3rd degree burns on my arms from my latest mishap (handle fell apart while I was using it) so she forbid me to use them anymore. And to think I was thinking of buying a stove set "shudder" I am way to accident prone for that.

Back