Curve Shingling (kinda long)

Alee

Former ScissorHappy Nappy
I got this from another hairboard its a pretty accurate description.

I spray on some CP (I add a tsp of CP to +/- ¼ cup of distilled water or lavender mist and mix in my mini blender (I have a special product cup Wink )) all over my hair and distribute with my fingers. Then I section my hair starting at the nape of my neck. I spray a little more CP on the areas I missed and then comb through so my hair is smooth and hair as straight as possible Shocked (trust me with this one). I use a comb with wide teeth but you can use one with fine teeth (elongates curl more) only if your hair is not tangled and is not fine. Comb slowly and gently so not to pull the hair. Because my hair is both fine and tangles easily, I stick with a comb with wide teeth. Then, I separate the hair into the size clumps I want. I give each clump a shake so that it separates from the rest of the hair. I do this for the whole head. When you are done your hair should look like shingles (i.e., each row of your hair is stacked on top of the other).

How the hair looks wet is how it will dry. I do not want broomstick straight hair so I lean to the side and take the palm of my wet hand (so not to remove the product from the ends) or a damp t-shirt and push up my hair up to my roots like an accordion. Do not scrunch. I found that with my hair scrunching creates frizz. I do this until I have the curl/wave I desire. If I want some height, I either flip my hair over, shake and slowly rise to standing position or I use clips like Lorraine Massey suggested. I let my hair air-dry. When it is dry (or at least the top few layers and the ends) I smooth my hand over my hair (as if I am putting it into a ponytail) to break up the crunchiness. It takes my hair about 3 hours to dry naturally but the top layer dries in 1.5 hours. My hair looks a lot better and has more defined curls when I use this technique instead of letting my hair fall naturally.

The trick is to have each section of curl bind together and get it as smooth as possible while wet. Then when your hair is dry, you can just break up the section for a soft look. You can smooth a dab of shea butter, jojoba, or coconut oil, etc. to your hair if you desire (CP is just a styling product. It Does Not moisturize so add some form of moisture to your hair before adding CP or after your hair dries. This prevents the dryness that many people with 3c/4a/4b hair experience.) The whole process takes me about 10-15 minutes in the morning and then I do not touch it until it is dry. You can have 2nd or 3rd day hair if you wrap your hair with a silk/satin scarf at night and spritz with a leave-in, watered down version of CP, or plain cold water (rinse upside down). Because my scalp can get oily, I usually rinse my scalp daily.

With the CP it is all about the application technique. I do not use heat to dry my hair (unless I am in a hurry) and I do not use a lot of product. When I first started using CP, I used way too much product and I asked the owners of Curve for suggestions. They said to use less of the product Confused . As simple as this may sound, they were right. That evening I experimented with ways to use less product. You do not need as much CP as you think you may need. Experiment to find the right amount for you.

I have fine hair so I always mix the CP with water. If your hair is coarse, very tightly curled, or you want to elongate your curls more you may want to use more CP and less water but I think that adding water helps to distribute the product more. I feel that adding water does not dilute the product’s capabilities. Actually, I feel it is better to add water. First, CP soaks into your hair faster so your hair dries faster which will prevent frizzy hair. Second, the water helps to elongate the curl. Third, and my favorite, I save money. I can get 48 to 64 ounces of CP from one of the 16 ounces jar Razz . Plus, if you look at their new technique they say to apply CP to hair and spritz with water so why not add water to CP and spritz on hair Smile . I think the shingle technique elongates the curl better than applying the CP straight to your hair and then following up with the blow-dryer (never got that technique down).

CP is not one of those products that you can just use without playing with the application technique. I think this is probably why many people do not like it (another is failing to realize it is not supposed to moisturize your hair). The application technique is how the stylists at Curve can make your hair look great and when you go home, you are disappointed and wondering why you spent $28 for the product. The stylists have a lot of practice with different hair types. Practice is all that is needed to make your hair look good.

Even if you do not try the CP, try to shingle your hair if you have 3c/4a/4b hair. It is fool proof and you will love the results Cool . I have tried to shingle with gel, but my hair throws a tantrum when I put any gel (except pure aloe vera) on it Rolling Eyes .

Hope this helps. Let us know how it works for you

Sounds interesting...Do you have any pictures of what curve shingling looks like???

No sorry I don't have any pictures but the layers of hair do look like roof shingles. :)

So the trick is combing the hair to stretch it out eh?

I feel like that would make my hair frizzy but I will try it.

I'm kind of confused about this part" I do not want broomstick straight hair so I lean to the side and take the palm of my wet hand (so not to remove the product from the ends) or a damp t-shirt and push up my hair up to my roots like an accordion.
"

It's cool that you put the CP in a spray bottle--I wouldn't have thought that was possible.

Thanks so much for posting this!

what kind of spray bottle would be used...the curly pudding is really thick...i dont think a regualr spray bottle would cut it...i want to try the curly pudding again later so im wonderin what spraying it on will reallly do for me (probably not a thang lol)...also the part bout its not a moisturizing product....guess it makes sense...i can use the "grease"(castor oil by hollywood beauty) i have been using lately with it....

I don't do the spray bottle thing the woman that posted it on the other board does but I do add water to cp (heck the directions say use on soaking wet hair so adding water shouldnt hurt and helps the pocketbook) but everything else I do the same and my hair comes out pretty good once I get a digi cam I'll take some pics (hoping for that belated b-day present ;) )

ok i did it using the curly girl method and grease and water technique...it still didnt look like shingles lol...but it stretched my curls further...i think it was my other techniques with it...

i slapped it on drippin wet hair in the shower right before i got out with my head leaned back distributing with fingers then got out and slapped on the castor oil "grease" ...and let air dry as usual...i shook my head to make the white droplets disappear and rubbed in the goop at my scalp and was good to go :)

Sounds good, however, I don't see that technique working on 4b hair. I would think that you'd have to have a curl pattern to bring out curls. People with 4b hair (like me) only have sharp angles and z patterns, not curls.

Sounds good for other hair types, though.

I have tried diluting CP with water in a spray pump bottle, but it was too thick to spray. I'll try adding more water and using a trigger spray bottle. I love what CP does for my hair! :grin:

msportugal said:
i got mine today cant wait till washday

You've GOT take take pics when you're done. I'm dying to see on someone who didn't go to a professional.

Man, I sure do want to try this now. I bet it's fabulous for summer! Wow. *eyes wide**

ok forget it i either need somebody to post step by step results or i have to fly to NY and see the Curve sisters for myself because my hair is actually more shrunken than my Bubble up Pics. i saw the curl that i wanted but the drying process didnt work my drawn out coils kept shrinking back up. the hood dryer didnt seem to help and the diffuser made my hair fro'ish

i'm so sad but this grape smell is cool and my hair is really soft

msportugal said:
ok forget it i either need somebody to post step by step results or i have to fly to NY and see the Curve sisters for myself because my hair is actually more shrunken than my Bubble up Pics. i saw the curl that i wanted but the drying process didnt work my drawn out coils kept shrinking back up. the hood dryer didnt seem to help and the diffuser made my hair fro'ish

It smells wonderful! Did you follow the step by step instructions when you applied it, combing it through each section? I think the shrinkage comes from how well the product defines your curls. It can actually make your hair curlier. I don't mind the shrinkage though. I have yet to try the Bubble Up creme. In fact, I'm reaching for my credit card now. :lol:

msportugal said:

::::sulks:::::::::

balisi said:
It smells wonderful! Did you follow the step by step instructions when you applied it, combing it through each section? I think the shrinkage comes from how well the product defines your curls. It can actually make your hair curlier. I don't mind the shrinkage though. I have yet to try the Bubble Up creme. In fact, I'm reaching for my credit card now. :lol:

I've got the jojoba jelly from kinkycurly.com coming. I'll have to take pics of that...

Okay you had my attention for a quick minute until I visited their website and realized that their jar of CP costs $48. WHOA!!! talk about highway robbery....

Leshia said:
I've got the jojoba jelly from kinkycurly.com coming. I'll have to take pics of that...
Yet another product I'm considering. Let us know how you like it.

kinky curly products are good and a fraction of the price of curve products,however i've never tried thier products as the price was kind of restrictive for me i mean yes i can afford but 48.00 plus shipping and a lot of mixed reviews , but like i said i've never used them but i have tried kinky curly jojoba jelly and knot today they have a new product called kinky custard i haven't tried that yet but they sell samples so i will try hth jb

Back