CURLAWAY NATURAL HAIR RELAXER

heard of it and read about it but i never tried it. i didnt buy it because i think i read some unsavory reactions to it. sorry i couldnt be of more help!! but post if you try it!!

I have never heard of this but let's have our resident chemist break it down.

Here is what they say about the ingredients.

Ingredients: Patented Curlaway Curl Relaxer contains naturally-derived aqueous acetic acid (pH lowering agent) with PEG 400 monostearate (emulsifier) d-panthenol, MSM (both conditioners), grapeseed oil (moisturizer) and fragrances.

Doooon't do it! :nono:

My sister had a major setback with this product. She only used it one time. She flatironed her hair after using it? Anyway.... Two thumbs down. I saw first hand how it ate her hair out. She is going to cut the damaged part out soon.

It basically is too drying.

This is the person that created the product her name is Carol Buck, she is not a person of color. You can call her at this number on Monday to get more details.

800-368-6003 (Monday - Friday, Eastern Time)

Her email address is [email protected].

The first thing I look for is if it is natural do you need gloves to protect your hands. So far I cannot see that in the instructions. It is interesting you would need to keep it on for 4-9 hours for the first application.

Also the jar is only 6oz of product for $19.99. Even if the head is wet I am not sure that would cover a whole head of hair like ours particularly if you have some length.

Just some observations.

Doooon't do it! :nono:

My sister had a major setback with this product. She only used it one time. She flatironed her hair after using it? Anyway.... Two thumbs down. I saw first hand how it ate her hair out. She is going to cut the damaged part out soon.

It basically is too drying.

Wow!! That is sooo unfortunate. I hope her hair is on the road to recovery.

I wouldnt use it. If you want a straight look try Mizani Thermasmooth line and straighten it. It should last till your next wash and no worrying about messing up your hair. I learned the hard way not to try new products that havent been out long enough to determine the results on a lot of people. I used one of those other natural type relaxers (rumor had it that is was the same company RIO under a different name.....I cant remember the name but Debbie Allen was on the infomercial)...anyway my hair was jacked up after that. That was one of the few times I had to start from scratch. Now I know better!

This is the person that created the product her name is Carol Buck, she is not a person of color. You can call her at this number on Monday to get more details.

800-368-6003 (Monday - Friday, Eastern Time)

Her email address is [email protected].

The first thing I look for is if it is natural do you need gloves to protect your hands. So far I cannot see that in the instructions. It is interesting you would need to keep it on for 4-9 hours for the first application.

Also the jar is only 6oz of product for $19.99. Even if the head is wet I am not sure that would cover a whole head of hair like ours particularly if you have some length.

Just some observations.

I know, I'm wondering exactly what ingredient in the product straightens the hair....

It can sort of see why it may make hair really dry
It doesnt break di-sulfide bonds like relaxers, it breaks hydrogen bonds---hydrogen bonds are the ones that break when your hair gets wet, so your hair gets straight or looser curls, then the hydrogen bonds reform when your hair dries, and your hair is curly again. But they are also the bonds that have a big factor in determining elasticty of hair....Which means that it would probally be allowed to stretch less before breaking, and i know hair with low elastity for some reason goes hand in hand with dry hair.

Wow!! That is sooo unfortunate. I hope her hair is on the road to recovery.

We're still waiting to see if the damage (dry state) is permanant. Her hair reverts when wet but it was so stressed from the curlaway it started breaking just from a simple touch of the finger.

She put her hair in braids to rest it but her scalp protested so she had to take them out in less than a week. Now she's doing phoney ponies. I think she will get bored and just cut her hair and start over before long. I'm trying to encourage her to hold out a little longer... but none of this would have happened if it weren't for curlaway. She was making good progress before then.

I used it and my hair got severely damaged from it. The product is too acidic for my taste. I don't think this product is very good.:nono:

If I'm not mistaken TheLaurynDoll and MissFallon here on the board have both used it. You might want to search for their threads on it.

whew i've heard enough!! i knew there was a reason i didn't try it. i think it was this same stuff i read on the internet. nope ill just stick with my mizani and work out my texlax procedure.

Back