Curl defining gels/creams

iVR

So I need some suggestions for leave-in hair products that define curls/waves. It's been a while since I've had a gel in my hair, and last time it broke off my MBL hair to NL and APL. So I need something I can sweat in because I sweat in the head.
+So what's the product you use?
+How long does the hold last?
+Does it make your hair crunchy or does it keep its softness?
+Do you combine/layer it with something else?

What kind of gel were you using? I like natural gels, that don't have any "baddy" ingredients and are alcohol free. My número uno styling gel is Kinky Curly Curling Custard, medium hold..no crunch, preserves my style for 5+ days. I've also had great success with flax seed gel (same results as previously stated). As far as a leave-in/curl cream, my go-to is Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel. Soft hold, I have to reapply every few days to maintain definition. I use these products for my braid outs.

image-4011512005.jpg

What kind of gel were you using? I like natural gels, that don't have any "baddy" ingredients and are alcohol free. My número uno styling gel is Kinky Curly Curling Custard, medium hold..no crunch, preserves my style for 5+ days. I've also had great success with flax seed gel (same results as previously stated). As far as a leave-in/curl cream, my go-to is Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel. Soft hold, I have to reapply every few days to maintain definition. I use these products for my braid outs.

I'm not sure, but after sweating in the head during my workout it became hard or re-hardened like cement or something without give. I'm going to look into some of the stuff you suggested.

Some gels and curl cremes reactivate when the hair gets wet, I personally, haven't experienced one that reactivates from sweat but I don't do much sweating in the head regardless of workout activity. My favorite styling creme at the moment is Patene's defining curl custard which I seem only to find by ordering from walmart. It was briefly sold on the shelves, don't know what happened to that. Does it provide crunch? Yes. It will air dry to a crispy curl, a diffuser will soften it, but I want my product to dry crunchy because I'm looking for the curl to hold and hold up for a good week. The runner up is Silk Elements Curl Defining Mousse. Love this. This is very nice and will only become crunchy if you load it on like I do. I get rid of the crunch once my hair is set by scrunching in a bit of leave-in, some hold-less curl creme or an oil. I also do gels.
My favorite two at the moment are LA Sport (Target) and La Bella Maximum hold Target)

My rec's: fantasia IC hair polisher - regular (the olive one makes my hair crunchy), Miss Jessie curly pudding (purple one) or kinky curly curling custard. All have good hold and leave my hair soft. Fantasia is inexpensive, miss Jessie's and KCCC cost about the same but I find KCCC a slightly better product.

I enjoy miss jessies quick curls as well as kinky curly not today. When I wear my hair defined with those products I don't typically wear it for more than a day as like a refresher before wash day If I have to go somewhere but don't have time to fully restyle my hair. The hold lasts all day and is very soft. Although I apply the product by itself it's usually on already styled hair just undone for a twist out or something so my moisturizing leave in from the week before is still on my strands.

Love Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel. No alcohols or questionable ingredients, no glycerin, gives me medium hold with barely any crunch, and clumps my curls so well.

Cost ~$5 for an 8 oz bottle on vitacost/iherb and a little more at Whole Foods.

Back