Cure for SSKs ( kind of long)

lucky8502

I don't normally come to this side of LHCF much other than to pick up some quick advice because I was becoming a HUGE product junky ( which is a problem on a college student budget) and was harming my hair trying to replicate the styles and regimes of others while constantly measuring my length and watching my hair like a hawk. I would have driven myself crazy if I didn't take a break :lol:. I have been natural for about a year and a half and am currently APL. I always had MAJOR trouble with dryness and SSKs, I was never sure weather to clip them or leave them but sooner or later they would break off themselves. Almost every strand on my head had an SSK :nono:. Last night I was reading a post about SSKs and it occurred to me that I hadnt seen one in almost a year and I didn't have to do any bunning or hair hiding to achieve this. I immediately realized it was due to my uber simple hair reggie. I use wen conditioner and everyday before I put my hair in a puff I wet it a little and put a good amount of deep conditioner on it. I do this everyday and about once a week I conditioner wash it and finger comb. I only shampoo wash it every three weeks and that is when I use a huge comb. I know everyone wont have good results doing this but if I can help at least one person in my situation then this LONG post was worth it.

Cheers

I've been natural less than a year but I've accepted that ssks may just be the nature of the beast. My hair is extremely coily/ curly. They really don't bother me as much anymore but I will consider ur advice. Thanks for the info

greenandchic nope what I typed above is ALL I EVER do. Very simple but I don't have SSKS , minimal split ends and retain length.

I just wanted to share that simple is sometimes better because I was always trying to do some crazy regi with my strands and they would break off, get weighed down, or have lots of ssk

thanks OP, I have also noticed that when i cowash daily, I don't have issue with ssks!
so I am back to daily cowash, now that the weather is getting a bit warmer.

Back