Crown breakage that won't stop!

japalena

... or do you notice anything unusual about the scalp area (besides the thinning and breakage)? What about the hair texture? Can you tell a difference just by looking at it? Most people tell me they can't see it. Am I crazy? I can definitely feel it! What does my hair texture look like? I say a 4C.

Pictures by japalena - Photobucket

I got my first sew-in in February, kept it in for almost 11 weeks, took it out and then got another one in May. I took that one out a couple of weeks ago and I think I'm going to give it a rest for another month or so. Overall, my hair has grown and seems to be healthier, except in one of my trouble spots ... the crown. This area has been damaged for many years. Many, many, years. I have PCOS and I'm sure that has contributed to it, but it seems that nothing I do is helping this area improve. If I get a sew-in, where the hair is braided, and the hair cannot be combed or manipulated, it seems to get some length to it but will eventually break-off. Currently, there is a small area in the crown area that is almost broken down to the scalp. It probably stretches out to an inch or less. The entire crown area is damaged, but the left side seems to be the part that's coarse, dry and itchy. I tend to twirl the hair in that area or touch it because of its texture.

Overall, I can't seem to get a good hair care regimen. I've tried many products but if they don't give instant results I get discouraged and stop using them. Also, my hair is very unmanageable when the new growth comes in. It gets dry and it seems that the only thing I can do is wash it to get it to a point to where I handle it. I have to make sure I air dry it or it will become too puffy and the roots will become thick and compacted to the point to where I can't get a comb through my hair. I usually get my hair done at the salon (if I don't have a sew-in) and will use a variety of shampoo and conditioners ranging from Tresemme to Pantene to Cream of Nature to Aphogee; and I always use a hair oil like Chi Silk Infusion. That's pretty much it. I have yet to find a good daily moisturizer that doesn't either make my hair feel wet or make it feel like it's got a film on it and it makes it brittle. I did some research and found out that Elasta QP has some sort of Mango Butter moisturizer but Sally's didn't have it when I went the other night. When my hair has a lot of new growth I'll sometimes use olive oil a light grease to get it to lie down some. When it's freshly relaxed, and for the next two or three weeks after I get the relaxer, it's pretty manageable but I have dandruff or my scalp feels dry. I have seriously considering going natural, but even my stylist looked at me like 'are you crazy?' I know it would be hard and my hair just wouldn't act right. My hair tends to itch really badly in this problem area when I need a relaxer.

I need a basic routine that I can follow but with using the right products!

Not an expert but what I have noticed is the crown is the area that starts to show us there is a problem with the scalp which is why it is the worse. It is the most sensitive and it is the area that will dehydrate first. When the hair is rough, it signals that the scalp in that area is not healthy either due to dehydration or due to some other damage.

You may not have to change the regimen for your entire head but you do need to give extra care to this area. First you want to hydrate this area more with water inside and out. If the scalp is not healthy (burned, alopecia) then you can use some type of treatments. There are certain botanical DCs that recommend you putting it on the scalp to help heal that area. You want to moisturize this area more often. And when you condition/DC, put the product on this section first and take it off last.

It just needs more love and a lot of patience. Unfortunately we often are dehydrating our scalps without really recognizing it and our hair is withering away because of it.

Not an expert but what I have noticed is the crown is the area that starts to show us there is a problem with the scalp which is why it is the worse. It is the most sensitive and it is the area that will dehydrate first. When the hair is rough, it signals that the scalp in that area is not healthy either due to dehydration or due to some other damage.

You may not have to change the regimen for your entire head but you do need to give extra care to this area. First you want to hydrate this area more with water inside and out. If the scalp is not healthy (burned, alopecia) then you can use some type of treatments. There are certain botanical DCs that recommend you putting it on the scalp to help heal that area. You want to moisturize this area more often. And when you condition/DC, put the product on this section first and take it off last.

It just needs more love and a lot of patience. Unfortunately we often are dehydrating our scalps without really recognizing it and our hair is withering away because of it.

faithVA can you elaborate more on the botanical DC scalp treatments? My crown is my trouble area and has been for as long as I can remember. Im doing most of what you mentioned now and just want to stay on top of it because it has caused me many setbacks over the years so I need to stay ahead of the curve. I want it to be full and healthy when Im natural and not have anymore setbacks.

I recommend Senscience C.P.R.
It stops any hair problem I have. It's basically a two step protein-moisture treatment,but they complement each other so perfectly due to the formulation,I believe. I've been using it for years,and stopped for a while when I couldn't get it on the ground anymore. Now I don't care, I have to have it. I get it at sleekhair.com

[USER=3524 said:
Leslie_C[/USER];16522439]@faithVA can you elaborate more on the botanical DC scalp treatments? My crown is my trouble area and has been for as long as I can remember. Im doing most of what you mentioned now and just want to stay on top of it because it has caused me many setbacks over the years so I need to stay ahead of the curve. I want it to be full and healthy when Im natural and not have anymore setbacks.

Various ladies are using various things for treatments. Check out the support thread
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=583353

But when I mentioned botanical DCs. They are just natural moisturizing deep conditioners. On the instructions they will mention applying the conditioner to the scalp. You wouldn't want to rub a chemically laden conditioner into your scalp. But some botanical conditioners can be used on the scalp.

Of course now I am drawing a blank on the list :look: I use Deva Curls Heaven In Hair. But I think the natural conditioners from Oyin Handmade, Komaza and other natural places would also work because they have a lot of healing ingredients in them.

Usually when we condition its suggested not to put conditioner on your scalp. But if your scalp is dehydrated you do want to either do a prepoo or a DC for your scalp as well as your hair.

I remember back in the late 90's early 2000's when fake ponytails were "cool" :look:

I ended up getting a spot in my crown area that pretty much could not handle the stress of pulling my hair into that spot.

I would stay far away from corwnrows/sew ins or anything that would add unnecessary pulling to that area.

Good luck to you!

*I would also going against your stylists "order" and consider going natural.

I used to wear fake ponytails in the 90's when I was in high school. I wonder if that's what did it? I didn't wear them every single day, but I wore them often enough. I remember the hair pins would sometimes be dug into my scalp (after my hair completely dried). But, would that have made my scalp itch and break off after all these years, though? Would it have changed the texture? I know when I used to wear ponytails at the back my hair would break, but that area will grow back just fine.

Back