Crown and glory hair washing technique

Chameleonchick

Okay I have a few questions about this technique since I am getting to the point of hair length that is the longest I've seen my hair since I have been an adult.

So has this technique aided in your hair retention?

Are you able to cowash frequently with this technique?

What about DCing?

Also do you have any other tips/tricks to share about this technique?

Thank you!

I do this when I get about 2 months post because the new growth is out of control. I do it for cowashing and deep conditioning also. Its working for me.

I have no clue what that technique is, but I'm bumpin for ya!

:bump:

I only wash my hair in 4 plaits as it prevents my hair from tangling up so much, thereby losing less hair.

For DCing, I usually take down 1 braid then add the conditioner and then twist the hair. I do this for each braid.

From the time I found that site 2 years ago at the beginning of my journey, that's how I've been washing my hair. I get very few tangles if any at all. Actually my hair never tangles. Before that I'd get loads of knots and I'd pop off the ends during washing because I would get frustrated. So yeah, I guess that technique has aided in my growth retention as well.

From the time I found that site 2 years ago at the beginning of my journey, that's how I've been washing my hair. I get very few tangles if any at all. Actually my hair never tangles. Before that I'd get loads of knots and I'd pop off the ends during washing because I would get frustrated. So yeah, I guess that technique has aided in my growth retention as well.

See this is what I have been experiencing the last two washes. I am 14 weeks post and am lightly texlaxed. I am stretching for 22 weeks.

Hmmm...this technique sounds very promising. Thanks OP for starting this thread. I think I'll give this a try.

I only wash my hair in 4 plaits as it prevents my hair from tangling up so much, thereby losing less hair.

For DCing, I usually take down 1 braid then add the conditioner and then twist the hair. I do this for each braid.

I do the exact same thing.

IMO a lot of members me included use Crown and Glory method for washing the benefits are less knotts and tangles:
I always wash and cowash my hair in 4 braids .

I've had great success since trying this when I first found out about it. No more tangles, and doing my hair after the wash is much less hassle. This is the only way to wash/DC when my hair is out, every natural should be doing it IMO. I do think alot of members here do it.

I use this technique and it's a keeper. I would not try to wash my natural hair (MBL+) without it. It's so much easier because you don't have to manage all the hair at once

I plan on trying this method when I get my braid extensions. Currently, my hair isn't long enough to wash in plaits but when I was a natural I did something similar to this and it helped back then so I definitely hoping that this method will work as well.

What do you ladies put on the ends of your hair when you use the C&G technique? I guess I should ask more specifically how to secure the ends of relaxed hair with this technique. Also, does anyone know what the consistency is of the "afro detangler" leave in featured on the website, is is creamy or watery?

Last edited:
What do you ladies put on the ends of your hair when you use the C&G technique. I guess I should ask more specifically how to secure the ends of relaxed hair with this technique. Also, does anyone know what the consistency is of the "afro detangler" leave in featured on the website, is is creamy or watery?

I've tried it and it worked. I use kiddie barrettes on the ends. Good for stopping tangles.

I've been using this washing technique since my hair got long enough to start really tangling...probably about neck length. It does great reduce the instances of tangling and knots. I am actually currently briaded up and doing the diluted shampoo method for washing my braids. It is working VERY well and I will probably continue to dilute my shampoo even after I am no longer in braids.

I've been using this washing technique since my hair got long enough to start really tangling...probably about neck length. It does great reduce the instances of tangling and knots. I am actually currently briaded up and doing the diluted shampoo method for washing my braids. It is working VERY well and I will probably continue to dilute my shampoo even after I am no longer in braids.

Awesome! Your hair is beautiful! I have a feeling that this technique will do wonders for me. I was getting discouraged with the detangling process. I am paranoid about thinning ends so the more hair I can keep the better.

What do you ladies put on the ends of your hair when you use the C&G technique? I guess I should ask more specifically how to secure the ends of relaxed hair with this technique. Also, does anyone know what the consistency is of the "afro detangler" leave in featured on the website, is is creamy or watery?
very creamy
almost rated as thick, not quite

so the crown & glory is simply washing in braids? weave and natural hair?

Yes, I wash in 6-8 braids. Any larger and they unravel when they get saturated with water. Good idea about the kids barrets. Off to search for some.....

I do the same and prepoo/wash/DC/ or cowash in 6-8 braids as well. I finger detangle, braid, and prepoo. After my prepoo, I unbraid, comb thru with a wide toothed comb, and rebraid. At that point, I can wash and DC without it unraveling. I definitely plan on continuing this approach once I am fully natural.

That makes 3 years I've been washing my hair this way. I don't think I can ever go back.

I just started doing this on my 3 year old DD's hair and her growth and retention is really taking off now. Before, our detangling sessions would be a nightmare and there were knots everwhere. Now, her hair is so easy to take down and rebraid, and it stays so much more moisturized in braids.

I texlax and stretch for a long time between touch-up so I will try C & G when I get deep into my stretch.

Yes!! Fewer tangles and knots, less time spent detangling thus less breakage.

I don't CW anymore. My scalp gets dirty enough in one week that I have to use shampoo.

What about DCing?

I DC as usual but I undo the braids before putting the conditioner in and after the final rinse.

Thank you!

Yes!! Fewer tangles and knots, less time spent detangling thus less breakage.

I don't CW anymore. My scalp gets dirty enough in one week that I have to use shampoo.

What about DCing?

I DC as usual but I undo the braids before putting the conditioner in and after the final rinse.

Thank you!
Well, I no longer shampoo but when I did yes I still did the loose plaits. I also do it when I co-wash and DC. All in the same braids. I detangle when the conditioner is in (to get the shed hair out) and then follow with my DC. I rinse while they are still in plaits squeezing the braids to let the water run through them.

Back