Crown and Glory followers and other braid lovers, question for you...

HoneyDew

I got a set of braids yesterday and I am LOVING THEM. This was my first time NOT going to one of those "pull your hair out because we couldn't care less about your edges" African braiding shops.

The lady actually did them pretty loose, but they are so pretty and comfortable.

If you get them less tight, does it seem that you have to get them redone or removed in a shorter amount of time?

I really don't think these babies will last 8 weeks. 6 weeks tops is what I think. I am trying to plan. I want to do braids until I get past my shoulders and I need to budget for it now. :yawn:

But, I can say that I don't fear for my edges at all with these braids.

hi Honeydew,
I don't understand... what is your question?

EDited Oh yeah...sorry... I read well now
My answer is yes, I think you'll redo them it will not stay as long as tight ones IMHO!

Last edited:
the italicized sentence...

I ask because every good hair rule book says "no tight braids". But them the CNG method says they should last 8 weeks. These looser braids are NOT going to last that long I don't think - even with touch ups.

This is the first time I have NOT gotten them tight. I don't feel any tightness at all. Last night when I went to bed it did not feel like I had braids in at all.

Last edited:
the italicized sentence...

I ask because every good hair rule book says "no tight braids". But them the CNG method says they should last 8 weeks. These looser braids are NOT going to last that long I don't think - even with touch ups.

This is the first time I have NOT gotten them tight. I don't feel any tightness at all. Last night when I went to bed it did not feel like I had braids in at all.

I think you'll keep them less time than when the braids were tight.

I've learned to do it myself with her teaching video and my braids last 5 weeks when I go to the braider it last 6 weeks!

That's it!! I am going to learn!! Did you practice on yourself? I was thinking of buying a dummy head with kinky hair.

That's it!! I am going to learn!! Did you practice on yourself? I was thinking of buying a dummy head with kinky hair.

Yeah I praticed on myself if you see the paris meeting pics I did my braids myself(it is the third time) it is less than perfect but.... my hair thanks me for being my own braider!

I can't get the video to work....computer says it can't read the files and I sure would love to get some braids in, just can't afford to pay someone to do them right now.

it will definitely not last as long, but on teh bright side, you will save your edges. maybe u can just redo your edges every few weeks, so the rest of teh style can look fresh. i do this method al the time when i wear braids

I got a set of braids yesterday and I am LOVING THEM. This was my first time NOT going to one of those "pull your hair out because we couldn't care less about your edges" African braiding shops.

The lady actually did them pretty loose, but they are so pretty and comfortable.

If you get them less tight, does it seem that you have to get them redone or removed in a shorter amount of time?

I really don't think these babies will last 8 weeks. 6 weeks tops is what I think. I am trying to plan. I want to do braids until I get past my shoulders and I need to budget for it now. :yawn:

But, I can say that I don't fear for my edges at all with these braids.

HD, where'd you go? I'm taking Friday off (paid leave) to get my braids done, but I have a bad feeling about this woman who will do them. She seems unprofessional, even though a lot of the ladies at work got their hair done by her. She acts as if she doesn't want my business, so I'm having this bad feeling about her.

Where did you go to get yours done? Columbia? I need someone to do them who doesn't pull on the edges especially. Sounds like you had a good experience.

I went and purchased hair today. I'm still excited! :clapping:

Can't wait to see your pics. ;)

I will PM you because it is not a shop, but a friend.

HD, where'd you go? I'm taking Friday off (paid leave) to get my braids done, but I have a bad feeling about this woman who will do them. She seems unprofessional, even though a lot of the ladies at work got their hair done by her. She acts as if she doesn't want my business, so I'm having this bad feeling about her.

Where did you go to get yours done? Columbia? I need someone to do them who doesn't pull on the edges especially. Sounds like you had a good experience.

I went and purchased hair today. I'm still excited! :clapping:

Can't wait to see your pics. ;)

The edges probably won't last as long as the tighter braids, but at least you won't haver breakage that way.

Maybe you can get an "edge touch up" -- like the first two rows in the front and back done over to make it look fresh. Some have done that at like 3-4 weeks especially if they are trying to keep them in for 8 weeks. I've done that before and was able to keep the rest of my hair in longer.

Undo and redo yourself one at a time. The ones near your ears and crown will probably loosen up first. Anything near the front is good to practice on b/c you'll be able to see what you're doing in a mirror. This is how I taught myself - I just can't do the parts so I have to get them put in by someone else. I've never added hair but it should work pretty much the same.

I do my own C&G braids and there not tight and i still get new growth

The longest i've worn them was 2 months I think with the washing (Or at least the way I've washed mine) they become losser anyway

When I had my last set of braids (loosely Braided) it lasted me for 7 1/2 weeks. I was very comfortable in them, in fact I felt that I could have kept them in for another 3 weeks but I took them out anyways because I didn't want to have a hard time removing them. I think the payoff is good though, loosely braided hair that are easy to take out vs. tight braids at hairline which is painful and cause hair loss. I'll take loosely braided any day.

Undo and redo yourself one at a time. The ones near your ears and crown will probably loosen up first. Anything near the front is good to practice on b/c you'll be able to see what you're doing in a mirror. This is how I taught myself - I just can't do the parts so I have to get them put in by someone else. I've never added hair but it should work pretty much the same.

This is also how I taught myself. Take one out slowly so you can clearly understand what happens near the root. Also go back to the C& G website. there is a video that teaches you how to do it.

You might think you can't do it but once you do it about 5 times, you'll get the hang of it. Then one day you'll get bold and just decide to do the whole thing yourself. That's what happened to me. And now...I don't have to pay for braids anymore.

Yep, you're gonna have to redo them sooner, taken them out sooner, or look a hot mess longer. I opt for the later. :giveup:

Back