Crotchet Braids And That Ugly Part

DST1913

So I've been thinking about getting crochet braids. They seem like a easy quick protective Style. However my concern is that every time I see someone with them it always looks like a weird hump in their hair where the part is. Has anyone ever had them done and it doesn't look like that? I want straight hair and I saw this Dominican straight online. Has anyone tried this? As you see in the picture she has that ugly part with the hump on each side where you can see the braids

Screenshot_20170127-162506.jpg

Ummmm, wow at that part. The way I've seen it done is with invisible parts. Another option, you can leave out a little hair to cover the cornrow/braids while showing your natural part, which is probably the best option. But I hope you find what you're looking for!

@Judgement1

Last edited:
Ummmm, wow at that part. The way I've seen it done is with invisible parts. Another option, you can leave out a little hair to cover the cornrow/braids where the part will be since the hair will be straight. (Going to find some pics and/or vids for you)

Thanks. I have never seen it as bad as the pic but it always looks like a hump or like its floating hair. Lol. I cant leave hair out because im transitioning so i would look a hot mess with have natural half straight hair with straight crochet style. Lol

I don't like straight hair crochet braids for this very reason. I don't think I've ever seen straight hair crochet braids looking good, and without that kind of visible hump..unless there is some leave-out.

Really? I think even the curly styles have that hump. But you may be right. I may have to give up this idea before I look crazy

Thanks. I have never seen it as bad as the pic but it always looks like a hump or like its floating hair. Lol. I cant leave hair out because im transitioning so i would look a hot mess with have natural half straight hair with straight crochet style. Lol

:lachen::lachen::lachen:@floating hair. I know exactly what you mean:lachen:

@Judgement1

[/QUOTE]
Ummmm, wow at that part. The way I've seen it done is with invisible parts. Another option, you can leave out a little hair to cover the cornrow/braids while showing your natural part, which is probably the best option. But I hope you find what you're looking for!

@Judgement1

Thank you thank you. I really like the 2nd one. The texture is much more natural. Glad to know it can be blow dried and flat ironed. Im going to try it myself.

Bumping because I'm thinking about getting crochet braids tomorrow with Freetress Deep Twist hair!

I'm 38+ weeks pregnant so I'm trying to minimize my time sitting around in the salon as much as possible. Should I/could I wash, DC and partially air dry my hair at home so that all the stylist has to do is blow it out, corn-row then crochet the hair in?

Bumping because I'm thinking about getting crochet braids tomorrow with Freetress Deep Twist hair!

I'm 38+ weeks pregnant so I'm trying to minimize my time sitting around in the salon as much as possible. Should I/could I wash, DC and partially air dry my hair at home so that all the stylist has to do is blow it out, corn-row then crochet the hair in?

I first did them myself as shown in the video and it came out really nice but it was just so much work! The next time I had someone do it. I washed/conditioned my hair and did the LOC method and parted it across and then put in big twists the night before. That day all they had to do was cornrow and crochet. The crotchet styles only last 2 weeks max on my hair mostly because after washing it looks like trash. I wish they lasted longer.

ETA - I see you have 3B hair. My mom has 2/3 hair and I did crotchet braids for her. The only way I could get them to really last is that only for the rows in the front I had to add in braiding hair to the cornrows to make them stronger/tighter. Depending on how soft your hair is you may need to do this too.

I first did them myself as shown in the video and it came out really nice but it was just so much work! The next time I had someone do it. I washed/conditioned my hair and did the LOC method and parted it across and then put in big twists the night before. That day all they had to do was cornrow and crochet. The crotchet styles only last 2 weeks max on my hair mostly because after washing it looks like trash. I wish they lasted longer.

ETA - I see you have 3B hair. My mom has 2/3 hair and I did crotchet braids for her. The only way I could get them to really last is that only for the rows in the front I had to add in braiding hair to the cornrows to make them stronger/tighter. Depending on how soft your hair is you may need to do this too.

Ooh thanks for the tip @DST1913! Would the braid shop have braiding hair available or is that something I would've needed to buy beforehand?

I can address the floating hair/ weird hump part in (straight) crochet braids. Here's a pic of me in straight crochet braids. I attach the hair in teensy tiny pieces (10-12 strands) directly on the edge of my corn rows. Let me explain. You know how, when you do a corn row, there's that hair laying straight, being pulled into the corn row? I attach the hair there. Professionals have told me that the technique looks like 'fusion'.

I'm natural and, with the help of some pomade, the edges were flawless. And if it grows out before I'm ready to take it down, I add some more hair. It's messy in the pic only because I didn't brush it out first. :look: :lol:

I've used this hair before. I'll update this post with pics off my computer, but I used the same technique as above and it was very pretty.

If I were you, I'd let my hair completely air dry at home and let the stylist corn row without any blow drying. I just don't see why it's necessary. I'm type 4 and I kept that hair in for two months without blow drying. Eta: I agree with adding some hair, just for the strength of the corn rows.

I can address the floating hair/ weird hump part in (straight) crochet braids. Here's a pic of me in straight crochet braids. I attach the hair in teensy tiny pieces (10-12 strands) directly on the edge of my corn rows. Let me explain. You know how, when you do a corn row, there's that hair laying straight, being pulled into the corn row? I attach the hair there. Professionals have told me that the technique looks like 'fusion'.

I'm natural and, with the help of some pomade, the edges were flawless. And if it grows out before I'm ready to take it down, I add some more hair. It's messy in the pic only because I didn't brush it out first. :look: :lol:
Oh that does look good. You mean you attach to the hair not the braid? What type of hair did you use for the straight style? When I first did them myself I wanted a natural look but now I want it straighter. Here are pics before blow drying and after. Yes its straight however that kinky texture tangled badly. I ended up rodding it with hot water. Also how the heck did you get these things to last 2 months? 2 weeks and mine are looking crazy.

Attachments

• 20170602_074257.jpg
    20170602_074257.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 48
  • 20170602_074333.jpg
    20170602_074333.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
Oh that does look good. You mean you attach to the hair not the braid? What type of hair did you use for the straight style? When I first did them myself I wanted a natural look but now I want it straighter. Here are pics before blow drying and after. Yes its straight however that kinky texture tangled badly. I ended up rodding it with hot water. Also how the heck did you get these things to last 2 months? 2 weeks and mine are looking crazy.
Yes, attach it to the hair not the braid. I used vivica Fox braiding hair, $1.99/ pk. I have a little head so i used just over two packs, iirc.

One way i made it last so long was just adding more hair to the edges and parts when it grew out. The other way is to change the texture or the cut. With this hair, I wanted to keep it mostly straight. I flat ironed it on low once or twice/ week and slept in three big braids for waves. I could have curled it, I just didn't. For hair with more texture, ie Marley hair, I'll wear it how it comes for a few weeks, then blow dry it, then curl it, then straighten it. Whatever. I always start out with long hair, but it gets shorter and shorter. As an aside tho, my hair cutting game went from 0- 100. :lol:

Back