Critique My Regimen

HairSupremacy

Hello, everyone. How are you? Newbie alert!!!

My hand was raising up to get a perm at the beauty supply store last week. I am currently 7 weeks post, and trying very hard to stretch this out to 13 weeks, but this new growth is killing me. I haven’t stretched this long since I was in kindergarten. Coconut oil is my best friend because it is the only one of my oils that I have that make my hair easier to comb.

My new growth is rampant at the crown and is swiftly spreading outward. I am currently creating a beauty supply store in my bathroom, and I am still not quite sure of what to use on my hair. My first question is, “How do you know if you found the right shampoo? When I shampoo, I DC and my hair feels great. I attribute that feeling to the DC mostly.

Thus far, I have used 3 shampoos: Avalon Biotin Shampoo, Organix Tea Tree Shampoo, and Head and Shoulders Silky Smooth for some itching problems I was having, which have subsided as of late. I have more, believe me, but I have only tried those 3.

I recently bought some hair gel from Giovanni to gel down my nappy sides as they continue to get out of control. Please critique my regimen and let me know if this will suffice:

Day 1 (Monday): Comb, Moisturize, and Style
Day 2: (Tuesday) Wash Day- Shampoo and DC (baggy overnight)
Day 3: (Wednesday) Comb, Moisturize and Style
Day 4: (Thursday) Comb, Moisturize and Style (also used an alternate day to baggy)
Day 5: (Friday) Wash Day- Shampoo and DC or protein treatment (baggy overnight)
Day 6: (Saturday) Comb, Moisturize, and Style
Day 7: (Sunday) Co Wash Day-Deep Condition and baggy overnight

This schedule usually rotates weekly, but that is a typical week for me. The days I don’t baggy I tie down my hair with a satin scarf. My protective style, because I have so much new growth is to wear it up with a fake pony tail. :newbie:

Looks like a lot of manipulation to me...

...you may not want to comb so much especially while you are stretching.

How do you plan to style?

Can you style your hair in a way that you will only have to do it 1-2x per week? You need to try and cut down some of that manipulation.

Oh wait...:welcome2::thewave:

Last edited:
welcome newbie! Looks like u baggy overnight a LOT. This could contribute to scalp itching (at least it does with me :look:).

What are you using to moisturize your hair? The only thing I would change is to make one of the shampoo days a co-wash day instead, unless you absolutely must use shampoo twice a week.

Welcome! I agree with everything said already. Try and lessen the combing especially with you wanting to stretch.

:welcome:

Yep, the combing during a stretch will make it seem way worse than it is.
Try some low-mani styles so you don't have to comb so much, or maybe do some rollersets to help straighten out the new-growth.

And if you need to baggy so much, try only baggying your ends. Whole head baggying makes my scalp itch too, if I do it too much, but I can baggy my ends every night with no problems. Hth!

Thanks ladies. I will cut down on the combing. The only reason I combed so much is because I taking down my hair at night to moisturize and parting it in sections. My hair soaks up moisture like a sponge, and can dry out very easily. I use coconut oil as a daily moisturizer for my hair and scalp. How often do you ladies moisturize your hair per week? And if daily, is finger combing the way to go? Share techniques please...

Thanks ladies. I will cut down on the combing. The only reason I combed so much is because I taking down my hair at night to moisturize and parting it in sections. My hair soaks up moisture like a sponge, and can dry out very easily. I use coconut oil as a daily moisturizer for my hair and scalp. How often do you ladies moisturize your hair per week? And if daily, is finger combing the way to go? Share techniques please...

I was just about to suggest using your fingers to comb your hair. I moisturize my hair every day. If its in a protective style, just with water or some type of spritz. If it's loose, with the water/spritz and shea butter.

How do you tie up your hair at night? At night I put my hair in sections and it reduces the need to use a comb. I usually just spray it with water and go.

How is your hair reacting to your current reggie? If you're not experiencing breakage or other problems then keep doing what's working for you. If you're experiencing problems then tweak it...you could also try using a water based moisturizer and using the coconut oil to seal or you can seal your damp/wet hair with coconut oil :welcome4:

I only comb my hair twice a week only to detangle on wash and DC days. I moisturize daily, however I take down my bun moisturize and put it back in the bun. No comb just my hands.
When im weeks post and my hair don't act right, still NO COMB, I wet it and moisturize and use the scarf method. Im good.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM TOO.

seems like a lot of washing. I don't want u to have dirty hair but when I was permed I could stretch mine longer when I'd wash 1nce a week or every 2 weeks and yeah that is a bunch of combing for real.

Back