Crispy Fried Chicken/In-the-Middle-of-a-Drought Type of Hair?

So what do these people do or not do? Do they wash and condition their hair and how often? If they're relaxed, why continuously touch-up when the end result is severely below mediocre and the hair doesn't have the desired look? Do they not get trims?

Unfortunately I used to think that smothering relaxer cream over my crispy ends would make them smoother. :nono: I know better now. They just don't know is all.

I grew up mostly in the projects. A lot of times we didn't have enough money for the basics much less hair products. I did my own hair by trial and error. I finally got a perm on the day of my prom but still didn't have money to keep it up when I went to college. When I could finally afford to get my hair done I would, but I didn't know how to keep it up between visits. Most of my friends with great hair don't do their own hair, they get their hair done every week. It was just last year in September that I stumbled on hair videos on youtube. I am learning so much now. But I know I have been a walking hair no many times over the years. But then I am 45 and don't know how to wear make up, go figure!

Some people are doing the best that they can with the resources and knowledge that they have. It may not be that they are totally neglecting their hair, they are trying to do it themselves and trying to figure it out as they go along. Maybe all they have is $2 dollars to get a "cheap" perm. Some may think if I overlap maybe I can get rid of this as you say "crispy fried chicken hair." I along with a lot of other people did questionable things to our hair in high school and in college but as I learned I did better. When you know better you do better. If everyone was fully knowledgeable about hair, these beauticians wouldn't be making so much money with people totally dependent upon them. Also these message boards would cease to exist. I'm still a work in progress so some who are farther along in their journey may look at my pics and say, why is her hair.....

In a way asking about "fried chicken hair" is like a rich person asking a poor person why are you broke when all you have to do is....

When we learn we grow.

You've made some good points.. I guess we all see things from our own perspective.. Being born and bred in NY ..growing up I always has a friend or cousin or a classmate who could whip some hair..braids...a cute phony pony..whatever..for free! I could then and still can now go to a dominican or Haitian spot and get my hair washed and set for $10..I never looked at it like that..Some people have no resources..

This really makes me think of the bad hair information I was given over the years from professionals as well as well-meaning yet misguided people. For all the times my hair looked good, lord knows I was also a poster girl for Hair Don'ts just as many times.

I understand what OP is getting at - there is soooo much information available for GOOD hair care techniques, yet it still misses a good number of people. I know it hurts my heart at times to look back on some of the crazy stuff I know I have done (and see others doing now). I liken it to being a doctor/dentist who wants to heal the world but realize there are some people who just won't be interested or will never be reached for any number of reasons.

I'm not gonna lie when my hair was chewed up NL (in highschool) I thought I was the ish because most girls my age wore weaves. I don't remember having a regimen, just using whatever was in the bathroom to wash and condition. I remember flat ironing daily too...not sure what was going through my mind :(

but there was a girl with APL hair and I thought it was so ridiculously long and lush...I asked her what she does to her hair and she said nothing...YEA RIGHT! that motivated my to search for |black hair growth secret" in google lol and the rest is history

@bolded, OMG that brings back memories, my girlfriend and I used to gather our money together, walk to the beauty supply store and buy these relaxers because it was a deal. We did this all the way through high school and I did our relaxers, cuts and styles. Supreme kept us fly:yep: . I gotta call her and bring this post up:lachen:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

funny thing this girl has a great income...just idk

whatever floats one's boat i guess

my friend buys the 2 for $5 supreme relaxers:look: for she & her YOUNG daughters....relaxes and uses NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO conditioner (none in the box so she passes on it), THEN BLOW DRIES & flat irons religiously :blush:

nothing I can do or say changes it

(i did get to put a moisturizer on the 7 yr olds hair to flat iron once)

:sekret:

I used to buy these back in college when money was tight.

They may not know any better, it may not be that they are not trying.

It's like asking, "why does this person have all these breakouts?" "why does this person have this health problem?" "why are so many people broke and/or in debt?" "why is this person so uneducated?" "why does this person dress so badly?"

Someone may be looking at you and wondering why you aren't perfect.

Dude...^^^^:perplexed

Let the lady have her rant. I'm now tired of seeing all the bad hair now knowing...but even when I had "my bad hair practices" My hair didn't look that rough!!!... So its like yeah, boo you look a mess :)

AND...
With...Education,debt,skincare,ect. we live in a age of KNOWLEDGE and OPPORTUNITY, So if your pimply and dumb...it's your fault..."choice"..whatever. If someone IS looking at me it sho ain't because my ends ragged...OR my *ahem* stank attitude... Let them think whatever. But thanks to SELECT LHCF I look FLY.. if I do say so myself:lick:

If someone wants to write a thread about..."Why does this chick I see on the train...out and about..have such gorgeous hair?!" They are very welcome to do so...

*get my point? Lol...

OP: question/rant away...I <3 you hair in the siggy...

Let the lady have her rant. I'm now tired of seeing all the bad hair now knowing...but even when I had "my bad hair practices" My hair didn't look that rough!!!... So its like yeah, boo you look a mess :)

With...Education,debt,skincare,ect. we live in a age of KNOWLEDGE and OPPORTUNITY, So if your pimply and dumb...it's your fault..."choice"..whatever. If someone IS looking at me it sho ain't because my ends ragged...OR my *ahem* stank attitude... Let them think whatever. But thanks to SELECT LHCF I look FLY.. if I do say so myself:lick:.

?????????
:nono::nono::nono::nono:

The thing is they don't realize that it's that bad. A lot of us here was in that boat some time or another. At some point we decide that there must be a way to grow healthy long hair so we went looking for answers on the internet and then found LHCF. Now when I see damaged overprocessed hair I just say to myself I wish I could tell them about this site but I just mind my business because some people don't want to know, especially if they don't see you with bra stop hair.

AND...
With...Education,debt,skincare,ect. we live in a age of KNOWLEDGE and OPPORTUNITY, So if your pimply and dumb...it's your fault..."choice"..whatever. If someone IS looking at me it sho ain't because my ends ragged...OR my *ahem* stank attitude... Let them think whatever. But thanks to SELECT LHCF I look FLY.. if I do say so myself:lick:

If someone wants to write a thread about..."Why does this chick I see on the train...out and about..have such gorgeous hair?!" They are very welcome to do so...

*get my point? Lol...

Huh? I get what you mean, but not everything can be fixed. We are in the 21rst century, but our knowledge is still limited.

07113013066_450x450_a.jpg

LOL! I would know that box anywhere!

I'm not gonna lie when my hair was chewed up NL (in highschool) I thought I was the ish because most girls my age wore weaves. I don't remember having a regimen, just using whatever was in the bathroom to wash and condition. I remember flat ironing daily too...not sure what was going through my mind :(

but there was a girl with APL hair and I thought it was so ridiculously long and lush...I asked her what she does to her hair and she said nothing...YEA RIGHT! that motivated my to search for |black hair growth secret" in google lol and the rest is history

Yeah this irritates me, not all of us of ANY race do nothing to make hair look good. I have friends that even do minimal things to make their hair look amazing and if you ask them, they'll tell you. :look: LOL, I like how you used Google, I hate when people act like everything is all CIA-FBI-type of secretive. :perplexed

AND...

*get my point? Lol...

Thank you! Much appreciation for the compliment. :grin:

As for the first part of your comment lol, I explained myself throughout the thread if people just simply still want to get up-in-arms that's them lol. As long as I find out what I want to know, I'm good because this topic wasn't supposed to have a defensive feel. People have their opinions though and I respect that and difference in opinion whether you like it or not is one of the risks you take when logging into this site. :yep: Oh and I agree, my hair never looked rough so this is a legit question. :look:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

funny thing this girl has a great income...just idk

whatever floats one's boat i guess

Everyone loves a deal! :grin:

Huh? I get what you mean, but not everything can be fixed. We are in the 21rst century, but our knowledge is still limited.

So so so so so true...

Well since we are on the topic, my hair is stiff sometimes and I don't know why. I do deep condition, I neutralize for about an hour and I only relax once every four months. People probably wonder why I look so bad sometimes, however I'm not sure the exact cause.
Note: My hair was even dry when I was a natural.

Last edited:
Up until 9 years ago, I knew almost nothing about hair care :nono:

The condition of my hair was horrible--thin, broken ends :nono: I hot curled my hair almost daily and retouched my relaxer every 6-8 weeks, because that's what I was told.

My hair in my 20's was never longer than a little past shoulder length. In my late 20's I just decided to keep it short because it at least looked healthier that way.

Thank goodness for all the info I learned on the internet. I realized that my hair didn't thrive well with daily heat--I always wanted to go natural, but I finally took the plunge and BC'd. My hair has NEVER looked as good then as it does currently, or has been this length.

One thing that I didn't realize years ago for my daughters is that I was protective styling their natural hair. I'd box braid it simply because it was easy and kept me from doing hair every day. I hope to pass on healthier hair practices to them, because no told me what to do back then. I don't think most women knew what to do.

Ladies be grateful for all of this online info, I wish I had it when I was younger.

As someone who use to hot curl her hair with protein gel..I know that ignorance isn't bliss...lol. Some ppl just don't have a clue..or don't want to know. If your whole family does messed up things to their hair..it's kind of hard not to know better.
For example my fam. I'm the only one who has natural hair..besides my baby niece. I'm constantly telling my sister she has to moisturize and seal that child's hair. She reaches for the hair grease when her hair is dry..and combs it with a fine tooth comb..and proceeds to press hair and put rubber bands on the ends.
They look at me like I'm certified crazy..when my hair has grown out more in six months than my niece's hair in her five years of life.
Moral of the story..if you are surrounded by ignorance that way of thinking tends to continue.

As someone who use to hot curl her hair with protein gel..I know that ignorance isn't bliss...lol. Some ppl just don't have a clue..or don't want to know. If your whole family does messed up things to their hair..it's kind of hard not to know better.
For example my fam. I'm the only one who has natural hair..besides my baby niece. I'm constantly telling my sister she has to moisturize and seal that child's hair. She reaches for the hair grease when her hair is dry..and combs it with a fine tooth comb..and proceeds to press hair and put rubber bands on the ends.
They look at me like I'm certified crazy..when my hair has grown out more in six months than my niece's hair in her five years of life.
Moral of the story..if you are surrounded by ignorance that way of thinking tends to continue.

They probably will only listen once your hair passes above and beyond their expectations. Whether that's SL, APL, BSL, and so on.

They probably will only listen once your hair passes above and beyond their expectations. Whether that's SL, APL, BSL, and so on.

Well I guess that would be SL..because no one in my immediate family has past that length (myself included). I just got into this whole haircare thing about two years ago..started off as texlaxed..then relaxed..now natural..I've probably cut my hair five times in the past three years..for various reasons. But hopefully they will see my dedication and results. Actually my mom and sister started to take notice this past holiday..but I honestly think they are too lazy to follow my advice. I just feel bad for my baby niece.

AND...

*get my point? Lol...

woowwwwwwww....and this is exactly the turn I knew this thread would take :nono:. Pimply and dumb? Really? I suffer from adult acne - have had acne since I was a pre-teen. I've tried natural remedies, prescription medication, DDF, Philosophy, Proactiv, Dr. Murad, and much more. I own a Clarisonic and I care for my skin very carefully. Washing my hair in the shower causes back acne. My sister has even worse skin issues, for which she has had to have major surgery.

The only thing that helps to clear my skin is the Clarisonic and Obagi....but after a few weeks, my skin gets dry from Obagi and I have to go back to Philosophy. I'm by no means "dumb." I have a bachelor's degree and I'll have my JD in May. And I still look better than 95% of chicks with clear skin and longer hair than me. If you were to see me in the streets with bumps and/or scars on my face while I'm suffering from a breakout, that would be no way to judge how I care for my skin.

The same applies to hair. I have a friend who has been protective styling for 2 years. She moisturizes her hair and and gone natural. Her hair is still dry, dry, dry. She's also "educated" - has a BA and an MBA, flawless skin, and a perfect body. She can't help it if her hair is just not her best asset.

I'm not your "dude," and if I want to post in the thread and say that I disagree with the tone/topic, I'm free to do so. I think it's rude and insulting to call somebody's hair "fried-chicken/crispy" dry. And OP knew that ish and that's why she said "don't mean to offend" in the original post. Just because I buy a $60 relaxer now, it doesn't mean I'm going to act brand new like I wasn't at the BSS purchasing a $5 "perm" to put in my hair for 10+ years of my life.

Last edited:
woowwwwwwww....and this is exactly the turn I knew this thread would take :nono:. Pimply and dumb? Really? I suffer from adult acne - have had acne since I was a pre-teen. I've tried natural remedies, prescription medication, DDF, Philosophy, Proactiv, Dr. Murad, and much more. I own a Clarisonic and I care for my skin very carefully. Washing my hair in the shower causes back acne. My sister has even worse skin issues, for which she has had to have major surgery.

The only thing that helps to clear my skin is the Clarisonic and Obagi....but after a few weeks, my skin gets dry from Obagi and I have to go back to Philosophy. I'm by no means "dumb." I have a bachelor's degree and I'll have my JD in May. And I still look better than 95% of chicks with clear skin and longer hair than me. If you were to see me in the streets with bumps and/or scars on my face while I'm suffering from a breakout, that would be no way to judge how I care for my skin.

The same applies to hair. I have a friend who has been protective styling for 2 years. She moisturizes her hair and and gone natural. Her hair is still dry, dry, dry. She's also "educated" - has a BA and an MBA, flawless skin, and a perfect body. She can't help it if her hair is just not her best asset.

I'm not your "dude," and if I want to post in the thread and say that I disagree with the tone/topic, I'm free to do so. I think it's rude and insulting to call somebody's hair "fried-chicken/crispy" dry. And OP knew that ish and that's why she said "don't mean to offend" in the original post. Just because I buy a $60 relaxer now, it doesn't mean I'm going to act brand new like I wasn't at the BSS purchasing a $5 "perm" to put in my hair for 10+ years of my life.

Same argument, Different veiws....

I didn't like your tone. You didn't like mine/hers either. We stand at a impasse. I felt that it was totally non judgemental...moreso "what do you guys think?" kind of thread. Of which was taken too personally. No one is questioning your credentials. OP says she doesn't mean to offend, and thats it. I'd never judge... But as i've often asked that question...OP was brave enough and yet- she gets called judgmental? And is asked to reflect on herself?NOT that serious. I was making fun of the serious tone it was taking... Is all.

Well I guess that would be SL..because no one in my immediate family has past that length (myself included). I just got into this whole haircare thing about two years ago..started off as texlaxed..then relaxed..now natural..I've probably cut my hair five times in the past three years..for various reasons. But hopefully they will see my dedication and results. Actually my mom and sister started to take notice this past holiday..but I honestly think they are too lazy to follow my advice. I just feel bad for my baby niece.

You can offer to control the care of your niece's hair sometimes, or would that be insulting?

You may disagree but there's no reason to take this THAT personally, to the point of defending yourself by adding your attributes. Maybe defending your opinion but going on and on about what you have is just a little much for a topic that was supposed to be a little more lighthearted. This thread wasn't made to put people down really, nor was it made to add in a resume about your physical appearance along with your everyday accomplishments. If you didn't like the thread why even enter or read my long introduction, let alone post and continue posting? I don't agree with everything she said but the bolded red was directed towards me and I feel like I need to say something because it's just getting too personal now. :perplexed

ETA: Oh and REALLY now, what does your looks and academic achievements have to do with the topic at hand? Beauty is very well in the eye of the beholder. It seems like this is a point that has to grasp at straws to relate back to the original topic. :perplexed It's not about acting "brand new", I can't help if I've never been through the same experience. :look:

Last edited:
Same argument, Different veiws....

I didn't like your tone. You didn't like mine/hers either. We stand at a impasse. I felt that it was totally non judgemental...moreso "what do you guys think?" kind of thread. Of which was taken too personally. No one is questioning your credentials. OP says she doesn't mean to offend, and thats it. I'd never judge... But as i've often asked that question...OP was brave enough and yet- she gets called judgmental? And is asked to reflect on herself?NOT that serious. I was making fun of the serious tone it was taking... Is all.

THANK YOU! LHCF is getting a little feisty and defensive these days to the point I wonder why people aren't scared yet to make threads. I already made the thread, various people put in their input, move on and stop getting your emotions involved. Honestly, it's the internet and on a beauty forum I certainly don't care about people's personal credentials that many people are working towards achieving anyway. :look:

I havent used direct heat in a damaging way for 8 years, and have been air drying for 2 (rollersets for most fo the time period), and moisturize and seal everyday and wear my hair in a PS every day, DC often often often...and my hair still looks dry and my ends still split. My PS never looks neat no matter what I do. And air drying makes my hair a lighter color, which looks messier than when it's straight (looks darker). Kinda depressing.

I havent used direct heat in a damaging way for 8 years, and have been air drying for 2 (rollersets for most fo the time period), and moisturize and seal everyday and wear my hair in a PS every day, DC often often often...and my hair still looks dry and my ends still split. My PS never looks neat no matter what I do. And air drying makes my hair a lighter color, which looks messier than when it's straight (looks darker). Kinda depressing.
wow a-b-c-d <---:grin:

have you ever considered the ceramide challenge? & baggying your ends nightly with jbco?

Last edited:
Back