Crimps vs Braidouts

gn1g

I really want to have my hair crimped. The problem with that is that I have fine hair and I know if I go to the salon they are going to spritz my hair alot and then they will probably use to much heat. I tried to do a braid out but my hair looked frizzy. Is it possible to do a braid out that looks as good as crimps? If so do you have picture and what products do you use?

gn1g said:
I really want to have my hair crimped. The problem with that is that I have fine hair and I know if I go to the salon they are going to spritz my hair alot and then they will probably use to much heat. I tried to do a braid out but my hair looked frizzy. Is it possible to do a braid out that looks as good as crimps? If so do you have picture and what products do you use?

Hey girl...
I think you should stick to braidouts. I have abnormal distrust of stylists, but you're right they'll be spraying whole bottle of "Pump It Up" in your hair and puttin black Ampro gel on your temples.
Besides that, the braidout is such a wonderful tool for stretching relaxers and eliminating heat that it would be a good idea to perfect the braidout.

As far as products are concerned, there are a number of products that I think would help. Are you using a leave-in or a setting lotion??? I personally don't like setting foams/lotions b/c I haven't found one that doesn't made my hair stiff or crunchy, but I would highly recommend Giovanni Direct Leave-In for your braidouts. I used to have problems with frizz to and Rusk Smoother helped, but when I started using Giovanni, my sets ALWAYS looked sleek & smooth, like I had just come from the salon. I love love love Giovanni.
A serum may also help tame some of the frizzies. Many ladies here like the Neutrogena Triple Moisture serum, but if you have fine hair, you may want to try something lighter. One of my favorites is Osis + anti-frizz gloss serum. This serum is the TRUTH!!! It's super duper light, but it whips unruly strays into place, and it imparts a healthy shine. It's a little expensive, but it's worth every last cent. It's gooooooooood stuff. And it smells nice. :look:
You may also consider bantu knots. In the early stages of braidouts, they always came out more frizzy than bantu knots. I would saturate the hair with a good leave-in & jojoba oil (or another oil of your choice) and try the bantu knots. You'll still have a textured & heat-less look, but your frizzies may be fewer.

I hope this helps ya... :)

You are better off doing braidouts...the heat styling as you know is a major no-no! I recall someone mentioning a tool that gives you the look of crimps (it's like a setter (roller) for crimps). It's like a plate with bends in it...you would wash your hair and apply them, then sit under a hooded dryer and let them dry...I tried in vain to find any threads and I did a google search but no luck...maybe someone knows what I'm referring to. The product is like plates only they have waves in them and they are pink...that's all I can remember.

Back