Crazy thought: Could underprocessed touch ups actually be a good thing?

SleekandBouncy

It's been my observation that no matter how careful a stylist is, there will usually be some overlapping. Very few people have 2" of unstretched new growth every time they get a touch up. So I was thinking, if the results from a touch up are a little under processed (but still enough that a good rollerset or blowdry gets them perfectly straight), doesn't that bode well for the next touch up? Instead of the overlapping relaxer overprocessing the hair it instead finishes up the job from last time?

Okay, maybe it's just a crazy idea.

SnB, somebody actually posted a variation of this a while back. I cannot for the life of me rememer who. I think it was somebody in the UK. She said the stylist said the proper way to relax your hair was to purposely under process so that at the next touch up, the overlapping actually processed the hair correctly.:yep: This keeps your hair from being overprocesed because some overlapping is inevitable. So, not so crazy at all, or if it is, I'm right there with you:spinning:

I've been thinking about this too and just put it to action today

I just relaxed my hair this morning, and i do it with my fingers, but i always seem to get alittle bit on an already relaxed part, no matter what (finger slips, trying to go faster or something)---so i brought a mild relaxer this time, and got done in about 10/11 min., that way i am thinking it will be safer for me in the future to overlap if i do on mistake, instead of doing a regular relaxer at 20 min, and overlapping on mistake again for up to 20 min.'s
My hair came out just as straight it seems ( i also just went from no-lye to lye)

SnB, somebody actually posted a variation of this a while back. I cannot for the life of me rememer who. I think it was somebody in the UK. She said the stylist said the proper way to relax your hair was to purposely under process so that at the next touch up, the overlapping actually processed the hair correctly.:yep: This keeps your hair from being overprocesed because some overlapping is inevitable. So, not so crazy at all, or if it is, I'm right there with you:spinning:

:yep:
Especially with 4a/b hair even if we do have 2" of new growth it's shrunken down and therefore more likely a good half inch, 1" at most. I've never seen a relaxer applied to only 1/2" of hair. At some point through the smoothing process it spreads out and in some cases it's a good 3-4" on initial application.
My latest relaxers don't seem to be "taking" the way my old Affirm relaxer did. I can't figure if it's because of my current stylist or the relaxers (I used ORS & Opium Bodifying). There's a distinct 3cish texture to the hair and I'm used to a nearly bone straight result, but I'm thinking it might be a good thing in the long run that my stylist underprocesses.

Especially with 4a/b hair even if we do have 2" of new growth it's shrunken down and therefore more likely a good half inch, 1" at most. I've never seen a relaxer applied to only 1/2" of hair. At some point through the smoothing process it spreads out and in some cases it's a good 3-4" on initial application.
My latest relaxers don't seem to be "taking" the way my old Affirm relaxer did. I can't figure if it's because of my current stylist or the relaxers (I used ORS & Opium Bodifying). There's a distinct 3cish texture to the hair and I'm used to a nearly bone straight result, but I'm thinking it might be a good thing in the long run that my stylist underprocesses.

@ the bolded:This is so true. No matter how carefully the relaxer is applied, it always seems to overlap a good ways past the new growth portion-I think you are so right-it's somehow a side effect from smoothing through.

@ the blue: Do you think you need to clarify? Or have you clarified recently and are still having this problem?

Fluffylocks-:yep:this is why I really love the idea of applying a protectant to the relaxed portion. Sometimes the relaxer manages to get on other parts of the shaft(other than the part adjacent to the relaxer) just from moving the hair around-Sounds like you have a good plan there.

@ the bolded:This is so true. No matter how carefully the relaxer is applied, it always seems to overlap a good ways past the new growth portion-I think you are so right-it's somehow a side effect from smoothing through.

@ the blue: Do you think you need to clarify? Or have you clarified recently and are still having this problem?

Fluffylocks-:yep:this is why I really love the idea of applying a protectant to the relaxed portion. Sometimes the relaxer manages to get on other parts of the shaft(other than the part adjacent to the relaxer) just from moving the hair around-Sounds like you have a good plan there.

That's a good point. I need to clarify a week before going for my next relaxer. I'm going to stick with the bodifying relaxer for now, if I change it'll be for Mizani. Whenever I admire a head of hair it often seems to be Mizani.

Same here only I do this on purpose b/c as you stated I'm afraid of over-processing:yep:

That's a good point. I need to clarify a week before going for my next relaxer. I'm going to stick with the bodifying relaxer for now, if I change it'll be for Mizani. Whenever I admire a head of hair it often seems to be Mizani.

Well if you do decide to go the Mizani route, I suggest checking out the Butter Blends formula. It has a honey shield that you apply to the previously relaxed portion of your hair to protect it, in addition to a scalp protectant. It's really nice-I tried it on dd and we are pleased with the results:grin:. I'm keeping an eye on her hair for the next few weeks, but I think we've pretty much settled on this one.

My hair is texturized and I must admit I rarely worry about overlapping. I worry about relaxer runoff so I put PC on my ends, but that's about it.

yes, there was an excellent post about this a while back. I tried to find it a few weeks ago and could not. I think it should be a sticky, so if someone finds it, let us know. thanks

This is actually the reason I am afraid to relax straight.

But, I do need to find a happy medium.

Being straight will, I think, make my rollerset turn out better. Right now, my texlaxed parts still need a light flatironing - which defeats my purpose - less direct heat.

But, I really don't want relax bone straight, because, like Sareca says, I really don't worry about overlapping at all. And really, my previously texlaxed sections that get overlapping still never get bone straight because I don't really leave it on that long during smoothing.

This is actually the reason I am afraid to relax straight.

But, I do need to find a happy medium.

Being straight will, I think, make my rollerset turn out better. Right now, my texlaxed parts still need a light flatironing - which defeats my purpose - less direct heat.

But, I really don't want relax bone straight, because, like Sareca says, I really don't worry about overlapping at all. And really, my previously texlaxed sections that get overlapping still never get bone straight because I don't really leave it on that long during smoothing.

Me too. Doing the texlaxed thing doesn't work for me. I get more breakage. On the other hand, bone straight is a :nono::nono::nono:.

I remember a variation of this being posted also. It makes sense to me.:yep:

I underprocessed today with my first self-relax and I'm thinking of keeping it this way for the same reasons mentioned here. I think it will be healthier for my hair in the long run. We'll see.

We need a picture guide showing bone straight, texlaxed and semi striaght relaxer results when wet. There's got to be a medium ground between texlaxed and bone straight.

We need a picture guide showing bone straight, texlaxed and semi striaght relaxer results when wet. There's got to be a medium ground between texlaxed and bone straight.

When you find it let me know. I think I am just going to use a mild relaxer from now on and just process for the alotted time and call it a day.

Yes, I remember that thread! Wish I could find it.
It's ideal to be underprocessed (texlaxed).

I think I've hit the medium. I don't have any pics b/c this was pre LCHF. I used ORS Super on my 4b hair for 20-25 mins and when it was wet I had loose waves. It made me think of wavy puerto rican hair for lack of a better description. To get prefectly straight I flat-ironed or I could wear a wavy wash n go. I didn't have the breakage or tangling problems that others have reported with texlax though, which is what makes me think it was somewhere in between. I had some frizziness but it was easy to fix with the right product combo. I think it came about because I never smoothed very much. I was too afraid of overlap and didn't like moving my hair around once the relaxer was on it for fear of breakage.

I think its really an individual thing. I consider myself tex-lax at 80-85%. Someone else, perhaps with different hair type, my get away with just 50%. Also, each will have different comfort zone regarding "straightness" -- I don't mind big hair and I don't have to have my hair straight, I like bulky and full so no heat trying to straighten my tex-lax. Others who like more straight styles, may find that they need to tex-lax up to 90% to be happy with their hair.

At one point, I tex-lax 50% and did not like it at all -- waaaay too much bulk and I decided to just up my relax time a bit -- it took a few touchups before I found my very own perfect medium -- enough texture to wash and go, with enough straightness for manageability . . .

It's a hit and a miss with me.

My hair is very underprocessed to the point where I don't look like I wear a relaxer. People have told me I looked natural.

When I get a rollerset, it straightens the hair but after two days, my hair is back to looking kinky, especially in the heat. Plus when I try to rollerset the hair myself, it does not come out good, which I think is because the hair is just not straight.

Now the pros is that i don't have much breakage unless my hair is extremely dry. So maybe being underprocessed is making my hair stronger.

Back