Cracking the BREAKAGE Code....

ellegantelle

Happy Saturday ladies...:detective:

I have a question...my "go-to" style during the week is the braidout. For some reason pineappling, stuffing into a satin bonnet, etc. does not work for me. The next morning my hair will look like a bird's nest.

But the problem with braidouts for me is that I find at least 15 pieces of broken hair on the sink by the time I am finished....

Is there anyone that does braidouts and does not experience any breakage? Are than any suggestions for how to use braidouts as a normal style but not to have the negative effects (breakage) afterwards?

(BTW, I moisturize and seal daily, protein and deep condition weekly, and henna monthly...)

:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

This is a great question unfortunately I dont have an answer. Im also experiencing a lot of breakage when I have been trying to do my flat twist outs so I hope someone comes in with suggestions. I swear I cringe everytime I hear the snap of a hair breaking so right now even as cold as it is I am wearing a wash and go.

In my opinion if you have afro textured hair you can't wear braidouts everyday and not have some breakage. A braid out is something you wear when you release braids and that makes braids the primary style and braid out something you do in between braids, etc. You can preserve your braidouts by tying your hair in place with a silk scarf. A bonnet leaves a lot of room for your hair to move around in - that's why the bird's nest happens. Basically I think you should enjoy your braidouts while they last but also mix it up and do different things with your hair.

I twist my hair nightly without any problems. I never do it on dry hair tho. I start with damp hair then add JBCO. I also brush my hair with the Tangle Teeezer which has reduced any temp issues I experienced along the way.

In my opinion if you have afro textured hair you can't wear braidouts everyday and not have some breakage. A braid out is something you wear when you release braids and that makes braids the primary style and braid out something you do in between braids, etc. You can preserve your braidouts by tying your hair in place with a silk scarf. A bonnet leaves a lot of room for your hair to move around in - that's why the bird's nest happens. Basically I think you should enjoy your braidouts while they last but also mix it up and do different things with your hair.

This makes sense to me and that is the only time I wear braidouts.

I think I will try to tie it with a scarf and also mix it up with other styles to prevent having to rebraid it every night....thanks for the advice!

Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

i do twistouts weekly but i don't ahve to re-twist at nigt i stuff it under a bonnet and its good for the week....i never see much breakage. try other styles as the other ladies stated everything ain't for everybody.
i also forgot to add that maybe my style holds up because i use some gel mixed with a little oil for hold, but its never crunchy:yep:

Last edited:
Viciousdreamr02 do you use any type of setting product when you do your braidouts to preserve the style this should help; and you might also want to talk to the ladies in the rollersetting challenge they style their hair once a week and it lasts up until the next wash day. Also if your not already doing so try to finger comb when you rebraid your hair.

Try a twist out. But make sure it is done on damp hair with LOTS of conditioner and oil. The ends with twists will give a simple softer curl on the ends verses , braiding which kind of gives a bit of a zig zag curl when taken down. One thing I don't use is a gel.

AA

i do twistouts weekly but i don't ahve to re-twist at nigt i stuff it under a bonnet and its good for the week....i never see much breakage. try other styles as the other ladies stated everything ain't for everybody.
i also forgot to add that maybe my style holds up because i use some gel mixed with a little oil for hold, but its never crunchy:yep:

I use the same, moisturizer, gel, and oil. What type of gel do you use? Maybe I could use a gel that gives a stronger hold...

Viciousdreamr02 do you use any type of setting product when you do your braidouts to preserve the style this should help; and you might also want to talk to the ladies in the rollersetting challenge they style their hair once a week and it lasts up until the next wash day. Also if your not already doing so try to finger comb when you rebraid your hair.

I think I'll check out the gals in the rollersetting challenge. I'm sure they have some great tips in that thread...thanks!

Try a twist out. But make sure it is done on damp hair with LOTS of conditioner and oil. The ends with twists will give a simple softer curl on the ends verses , braiding which kind of gives a bit of a zig zag curl when taken down. One thing I don't use is a gel.

I would love to try twistouts, only problem is that my hair in the front has a looser curl pattern, so it unravels as soon as I let go of my hair. lol. my hair is so complicated with its multiple personalities...

AA

I hope someone finds the solution soon. I just don't like seeing tiny hairs lying on the sink - though it's not alot I just want the small breakage to stop.

I stopped using commercial gel all together, use to use ecostyler, then started mixing it half and half with a leave in condish, but I still got breakage (little "C" shaped hairs)

Now I only use twisting cremes - Im liking darcys botanicals right now.

my twistouts last abt 3 days before I have to retwist
I normally maintain by pinapple or I put a loose goody head band on and put my hair into a very loose puff then just stuf into a sleep cap.

I normally re moisurize with BRBC or AOHC

Are you braiding it wet or dry. It works best for me airdried 90%. Use lots of an oil or oily moisturizer (favor moisture) all along the hair as you braid. When you take out the braid do everything with your fingers...no comb. I don't get breakage when I'm deep in a stretch and I'm mostly 4b.

I wear twistouts weekly, and I can normally go about 3 or 4 days before I have to retwist. I use twisting creams as well. I like carol's daughter healthy hair butter, cantu sheabutter leave-in or Miss Jessies curly buttercreme.. I usually stuff my twistouts into a bonnet or silk scarf.

Back