Cowashing...

Hello...
I currently cowash my hair, sometimes every day but mainly every other day.
I usually use Suave coconut conditioner but one day I bought the Suave humectant conditioner. It made my hair feel like I shampooed it instead of conditioned:perplexed. My question is, is it too much to use the Suave humectant conditioner first and then use the Suave coconut conditioner? Or will that lead to other issues that I am not aware of and I should just use the coconut and shampoo my hair once a month as usual?
Thanks!

No, the Suave Humectant didn't work for your hair, so I would just drop it. Your hair should feel moisturized, but not greasy/stripped after a co-wash. Obviously, you got different reaction, so I would recommend you leave the Humectant alone. I think we have had other ladies complain about the same line from Sauve too.

Last edited:
Last week I co-washed my hair every day each week and my hair feels :grin:

I use Neutrogena's Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Mask to co-wash my hair. That is one of the best moisturizing deep conditioners on the market for dry hair right now. I don't understand why more people are talking about it over here because it sure does work :grin:

I use Neutrogena's Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Mask to co-wash my hair. That is one of the best moisturizing deep conditioners on the market for dry hair right now.
I think that I am going to have to give that one a try and drop the humectant. So far the Suave coconut seems to work the best but I feel like there is better out there.

What do you use because I thought that to do a co-wash, you are using conditioner? Please correct me if I am wrong, I'm still a newbie:grin:

No she probably means a leave-in conditioner.

That's what I do. I co-wash with Neutrogena Deep Recovery Mask. Then I follow up with the Healing Serum and then finally twist my hair using the Netrogena Triple Moisture Leave-In Cream.

A co-wash is just when you use a conditioner to "wash" your hair instead of a shampoo. You still have to follow up with some kind of leave-in or detangler or style cream.

Yeah I would suggest a good moisturizing conditioner for a co-wash. Now granted, the Deep Recovery Mask is a deep conditioner, however, it works for MY hair.

Some conditioners are what I consider thin or too water-based for me and my hair. Especially the lines that are not specially for our hair. But the Neutorgena Triple Moisture line is for extremely dry or damaged hair, so that makes it just right for me.

I think another thing you have to remember with co-washes is that you hair will tell you how many times you need to do it. My hair loves it everyday, but the end of the week I was running my fingers thru my hair and had no strands on my shirt and hands :perplexed But I twist it up after I do my hair and then go to work with the twist/knots still in my hair. So depending on how you style your hair AFTER the co-wash, you might still be doing more worse than good.

What do you use because I thought that to do a co-wash, you are using conditioner? Please correct me if I am wrong, I'm still a newbie:grin:

This is what I do:

*Co-wash, where I'm actively massaging my hair and scalp and then rinse.

*Apply 2nd conditioner and allow it to sit while I wash my body in the shower, then rinse.

Once I get out of the shower I add my leave-ins and what not.

Just doing the co-wash without letting the 2nd conditioner "sit" makes my hair feel dry.

I use Suave Humectant or Nexxus Humectress to co-wash, and then I alternate between Sunsilk TLC masque, NTM antibreakage masque or Phytojoba mask as the 2nd conditioner.

Back