Cowashing issues

jazzyto

I have tried cowashing with both Tresemme and V05 strawberries and creams. Both of them left my hair dry and frizzy. I was about to give up on cowashing until I tried it yesterday with my Nexxus Humectin conditioner. My hair came out very soft. :yawn: Though Humectin is too $$$$ to cowash with, it is cheaper than WEN which I have on my wish list. Has anyone else had a dry hair experience from co-washing with cheapie conditoners or is it just me :ohwell:

It is very important to look at your ingredients. A cheapie conditioner...has cheap ingredients, that don't nourish the hair and many just damage the hair. I haven't even used a cheapie conditioner except for the Trader Joes nourish spa conditioner for 2.49 but I stopped using it because of the parabens.
Also take into consideration that some people have durable hair, or naturally oily hair so their hair can stand more abuse.

I have tried cowashing with both Tresemme and V05 strawberries and creams. Both of them left my hair dry and frizzy. I was about to give up on cowashing until I tried it yesterday with my Nexxus Humectin conditioner. My hair came out very soft. :yawn: Though Humectin is too $$$$ to cowash with, it is cheaper than WEN which I have on my wish list. Has anyone else had a dry hair experience from co-washing with cheapie conditoners or is it just me :ohwell:
Have you tried using Suave Humectant? I've always co-washed with this and have never had any problem with dryness. :yep: Plus, every bottle I've seen has been $.99 -$1.99 (depending on the size).

Good point Oneya. I'll check out the other thread on this Eisani. No I havent tried Suave Humectant MD Lady maybe I'll check out the ingredients and see it they are similar to the other two. Thanks for the feedback ladies.

Yes, I noticed dryness from V05. Since I bought a few bottles, I just mix it with other stuff. I always add EVOO in any condish...

vo5 as a co-wash is not good for me. that's why i only use it as a final rinse for the silk protein ingredient. my main co-wash conditioners are more moisturizing. try finding new conditioners...and i agree with the poster who said check ingredients.

Even though there's already a thread about it, I'll just give you a synopsis based on what I read of it:

- Beware of the ingredients (as Oneya has already said :yep:)
- Consider using "cheapies" that are, well, more expensive (:lol:) like Nature's Gate. I personally have used this and found it to be wonderful for my 4B natural hair. :yep:
- Try co-washing with regular conditioners if you don't mind the expense. I do have to do this and have used Elucence Moisture Benefits conditioner as a co-wash. Someone else in that thread said that their hair is so kinky and coily that they need something strong to handle it, and I find that to be the case for my hair.

ETA: Tresemme jacked up my hair when I last used it over 9 months ago. It didn't jack it up permanently, but it did make it EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY dry. That was when I had to learn the hard way that I need to be willing to spend the money on good quality conditioners and other hair products.

I have used both cheapies and expensive conditioners to co-wash. The cheap and expensive conditioners both have some that work and some that don't. I think tresemme is overhyped and is not very moisturising (I think I have tried all their lines). I tried a lot of cheap conditioners (I have not tried suave yet and will soon) I find herbal essences quite good, and NTM triple moisture line. Though the ORS Pak is a light protein, I find it quite moisturising if I leave on for no more than 1.5 hours. I tried humectin and it did nothing to my hair, I had to add loads of stuff like glycerin, oils, SAA to make it 1/2 way decent. I guess that things react differently for different people. Also I find that some conditioners worked well for me as a relaxed head and stopped working for me as a natural and vice versa

(i'm not a fan of tresemme either). but as far as the ingredients - what should one look for? i've always been thrown off by the fact that the first few ingredients in most of the conditioners i've used contain some type of alcohol?? i'm still pretty new at this and have yet to find a co-wash condish that i'm just in love with, thoughh HE LTR was pretty good. i just got some avon condish and am anxious to see how that feels - i think my hair liked it years ago

Vo5 works great for me. I use cheapies all the time. My favorite one is Lekair. I even leave them in my hair which makes my hair really soft.

You are not alone. :nono: I hate V05. I have not tried Suave. HE LTR was ok, but currently I use Redken. It's $$$$$, but I can use a much smaller squirt than if I were using a cheapie, so I don't think it's as expensive as it originally seems. Plus I got the litre of All Soft at 40% off, with an additional 20% off, so with the smaller amount I need to use, I think it almost evens out.

Be careful using that conditioner to cowash, It made my hair mushy in no time flat!
I guess I wasn't prepared for that kind of moisture

You are not alone. :nono: I hate V05. I have not tried Suave. HE LTR was ok, but currently I use Redken. It's $$$$$, but I can use a much smaller squirt than if I were using a cheapie, so I don't think it's as expensive as it originally seems. Plus I got the litre of All Soft at 40% off, with an additional 20% off, so with the smaller amount I need to use, I think it almost evens out.

HOW did you get that discount??? :lick: I'd love to switch to All Soft for CW.

As for the OP, I've said it before, mega cheapies (Suave, White Rain, V05, etc.) mega SUCK for my hair. I can cheapies use Aussie Moist, Garnier :love:, L'Oreal Vive Pro, and Herbal Essences for CWs. The best CW condishs for me are the more expensive ones - Nexxus, Redken, etc. If I can find a way to afford these for my daily CWs, I'd be very happy :yep:

Most of my 182 reviews are cheap and expensive conditioners -you have to go by ingredients.

Some cheapies are better than salon products. Not all salon products are better than cheapies.:blush:

It's always good to learn what your hair likes, memorize the chemical names, and read, read, and re-read ingredients lists no matter what the price.:yep:

I've memorized 8-10 chemical names that I know my hair adores and 5-6 more I remember if I see them on the bottle. It's soooo worth it in the long run.:yep:

I can just look at a product's ingredient list and pretty much know what it will or won't do for my hair depending on how I want to use it at this point. :grin:

Back