Cowashing has gone mainstream!

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
Email from Folica... When I've discussed cowashing in IRL I was looked at like I had 6 heads.

We have a dirty secret: We've been skipping the shampoo.
You've probably heard that washing hair less frequently can actually be a good thing. But, how to manage that without looking like a ragamuffin?

Discovered by our Head HairJunky, Rachelle, the newest trend for fabulous hair is skipping the shampoo and going straight for the conditioner.

Conditioner Washing (aka "cowashing") cleans and refreshes hair more gently than the usual shampoo & conditioner combo. And hair retains its healthy natural oils so you're also:

* Fighting frizz
* Double moisturizing
* Extending color
* Plumping thin hair

How To? Just like you shampoo! Wet hair, apply conditioner all over or to just the ends, lather up and rinse. Voila, very soft, shiny hair that's gently refreshed.
Join the conversation about Conditioner Washing on our blog, HairJunky.
> Shop Conditioners

Happy Washing,

Online Marketing Coordinator, Folica.com

I will believe co-washing has really gone mainstream when I hear hair programs on television recommend co-washing and people I know IRL stop looking at me like I'm crazy when I talk about my love of hair conditioner.

as soon as I read the title of this thread, I knew it was the email I received from folica.

Ya know what the irony in all this is? I can recommend this to ten thousand people, and i have, and no one will believe me. They say that's nasty , yo hair don't be clean, ALL kinds of shyt and i explain it down to the science! But the MINUTE mainstream media decides that its ok and you should do that, all of a sudden its the best thing in the world like they never heard of the shyt prior to the MEDIA saying something

So truely when i read this typa shyt, it irritates my nerves..

it will be mainstream when i can explain to my mother and sister that even though i "washed" my hair i skipped the shampoo and not get questions like "so isnt your hair still dirty?"

Ya know what the irony in all this is? I can recommend this to ten thousand people, and i have, and no one will believe me. They say that's nasty , yo hair don't be clean, ALL kinds of shyt and i explain it down to the science! But the MINUTE mainstream media decides that its ok and you should do that, all of a sudden its the best thing in the world like they never heard of the shyt prior to the MEDIA saying something

So truely when i read this typa shyt, it irritates my nerves..

Leave my sister out of it! LOL. For reals, she does the SAME dang thing to me. I have been telling her FO'EVA to leave that shampoo alone. She didn't listen. She saw Wen and heard stuff on TV and all of a sudden, its 'oh I dont use shampoo' - duduh. I am still right.

Okay so what you all are saying is that just using a conditioner and no shampoo is healthier for your hair?

Leave my sister out of it! LOL. For reals, she does the SAME dang thing to me. I have been telling her FO'EVA to leave that shampoo alone. She didn't listen. She saw Wen and heard stuff on TV and all of a sudden, its 'oh I dont use shampoo' - duduh. I am still right.
I know right! You be sayin there like " I JUST SAID THAT!"

Okay so what you all are saying is that just using a conditioner and no shampoo is healthier for your hair?

it's less drying to your hair. you may still need to shampoo at times to remove buildup, etc. but rinsing your hair with just conditioner (co-wash)can be just as cleansing and less drying and harsh.....especially if you have curly, coarse, colored or relaxed hair because these hair types tend to be dry anyway.

i wash with gentle sulfate free shampoo once a week and co-wash once a week, sometimes twice a week depending on how much i exercise. the co wash helps me get rid of sweat without drying out my hair with shampoo. by week's end i need a little shampoo so that i can remove hair gel, etc that has built up.

That's what I thought and that is a godawful co-washing conditioner too. :perplexed

I agree. Co-washing isn't effective with just ANY kind of conditioner, IMO. I remember when I first tried co-washing (I was relaxed), I used KeraCare Humecto :nono:, my hair felt awful. Not all conditioners are created equal when it comes to co-washing, especially if they're full of silicones. WEN has a silicone in it, and overtime I'm sure that would cause lots of build-up if you're totally skipping the shampoo.

I love Wen but also Mizani's new True Textures line has a product called Cleansing Creme (i think) and it is a co-washer and even says on the back to use it in between shampoos. So its definitely more mainstream. People have been doing this for YEARS though...ran out of shampoo...hmm let me try just the conditioner. We all thought for years that if its not sudsy, it can't possibly be cleaning the hair lol. Now stylists/companies are understanding that it doesn't have to have sulfate and be really sudsy.

You can expect an email soon stating the benefits of a mid protein treatment... SMH... Bandwagon junkies make me so upset. When you try to put people on, they look at you crazy but as soon as it is featured in Glamour or Essence, they want to act like they always knew the benefits and been doing it from the jump. #Bandwagon !!!!

I agree. Co-washing isn't effective with just ANY kind of conditioner, IMO. I remember when I first tried co-washing (I was relaxed), I used KeraCare Humecto :nono:, my hair felt awful. Not all conditioners are created equal when it comes to co-washing, especially if they're full of silicones. WEN has a silicone in it, and overtime I'm sure that would cause lots of build-up if you're totally skipping the shampoo.
So true! I never cowash with conditioners that have cones in it. That's why i love my
VO5 and Suave Coconut Conditioner so much. It's silicone free :)

Back