could STRETCHING be the cause of my breakage and shedding?!?!

Tolle

Team Fluid
Sooooo...I new to this stretching thing. prior to my HHJ I relaxed apx every 5 weeks. Now Im 8 weeks post and losing hair like CRAZY:pullhair:!! Im wondering if I should :stop: this stretch and relax. BTW I have fine 4bish hair. Ay help you guys can offer will be appreciated.

If you are combing through the new growth like it is newly relaxed that might cause breakage. Maybe you could try some castor oil on your roots to soften and protect your hair at the line of demarcation. Also as you are stretching, manipulating your hair less is probably best.

Are you deep conditioning your hair and have you included a reconstructor or a heavy protein treatment and how a bout co-washing? Please post your regimen.

I doubt it. Do not relax. Relaxing will not end the shedding or breakage(?).

You may just need more moisture at the line of demarcation, if that is where you are experiencing breakage.

To curb the shedding, try Alter Ego or I just use fresh garlic and coconut oil. I mince some garlic and let it sit in the coconut oil for a day or two. I saturate my entire head with it and massage it into my scalp. You can liquify the coconut oil in the microwave first as well.

Like everyone else said, you should focus on moisturizing your NG so you won't get the demarcation breakage.

8 weeks is good, but I'm sure you could hammer out another couple of weeks, I'm 24 weeks post (stretching until 30 weeks) and honestly, once I started focusing on my NG when moisturizing that's when the breakage stopped for me.

As far as shedding, that's all natural and you can slow it but there's no way to completely stop it.

Deep conditioning more often, co-washing a lot in place of shampooing, and sufalte free shampoos has helped me stretch. I was having tons of breakage before. Prepooing is good if you do use shampoos with sulfate. I do this when I chelate/clarify, or use a shampoo that is very drying (which I am trying to use up).

I'm having the same problem as you, breakage and excessive shedding during my stretch. I formerly relaxed every 4 weeks and now I mini-stretch to 8 weeks and the back of my hair is getting thinner each time.

Co-washing seems to get me through by making the NG softer sometimes but it seems that after I started co-washing I saw more shedding. I just don't know. I'm leaving co-washing alone but I'll try to stick to 8 week stretches. Hopefully the excessive shedding is just from the Winter season.

Sooooo...I new to this stretching thing. prior to my HHJ I relaxed apx every 5 weeks. Now Im 8 weeks post and losing hair like CRAZY:pullhair:!! Im wondering if I should :stop: this stretch and relax. BTW I have fine 4bish hair. Ay help you guys can offer will be appreciated.

You really shouldn't comb through your NG at all when it's dry, only when wet with tons of conditioner, butter, or oil. I usually stretch to 12 to 14 weeks (trying for 16 this time) and it's always a breeze for me. The only thing that keeps me from stretching longer is the excitment of wanting to see how much growth I have obtain. You really need to do more no contact style such as buns, braid-outs, or bantu knots. A wide tooth comb is your only salvation during your stretch and only should be used to detangle. The less you manipulation your hair, the better; also you should only style your hair when wet. Also use a good balance of moisture/protein DCs.

Are you deep conditioning your hair and have you included a reconstructor or a heavy protein treatment and how a bout co-washing? Please post your regimen.

ITA...I'm 20 weeks post and DC'ing at least 1x per week, Aphogee 2-Step treatment every 6-8 weeks, Pre-pooing (with Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner) for 1-2hrs without heat followed by Co-washing (1-2x per week) and air-drying in braids REALLY help my 4b/a strands retain moisture and I have experienced virtually no breakage.

I totally agree with Sassy, do not comb your new growth when it is dry. That is a sure recipe for breakage. What has helped me make it to 24 weeks post is only combing on wash days and low manipulation styles like braidouts. Cowashing also helps keep the new growth from getting too dry.

I experience this. I too was a relax every 5-6 weeks. If I went longer my NG was outta control and my hair would start t break. Im now going on a 5 mos relaxer stretch. I have noticed that my relaxed hair is thinner. It get very tricky with dealing with the 2 diff textures. Last week I tried Co washing for the 1st time and found that my hair especially the NG was a lot softer. Usually the NG is hardest to keep moisturized.

If your loosing a lot of hair you may want to go ahead and relax and then try to stretch your relaxer a week or 2 at a time, thereafter.

For the ladies that do braidouts, are you re-braiding every day? If so, isnt this manipulating the hair everyday or is this just minor manipulation since you do not have to comb :ohwell:?

If you are combing through the new growth like it is newly relaxed that might cause breakage. Maybe you could try some castor oil on your roots to soften and protect your hair at the line of demarcation. Also as you are stretching, manipulating your hair less is probably best.
THANKS, AND YOUR HAIR IS BEAUTIFUL!!!

Thanks for this information! This wasn't even my post but I am going thru the same thing @ 21 weeks post!!! I can't wait do DC this weekend.... I got a relaxer brush so I am going to try apply tons of conditioner to my ng and smoth it out from there... I have to do this is tiny sections for it to be successful!

For the ladies that do braidouts, are you re-braiding every day? If so, isnt this manipulating the hair everyday or is this just minor manipulation since you do not have to comb :ohwell:?

If I want my braid-out to last more than a few days I would re-braid just the ends every other day; if I only want to wear my braid-out for 3 days tops I wouldn't.

Thanks for this information! This wasn't even my post but I am going thru the same thing @ 21 weeks post!!! I can't wait do DC this weekend.... I got a relaxer brush so I am going to try apply tons of conditioner to my ng and smoth it out from there... I have to do this is tiny sections for it to be successful!

Yup! :yep: This works WONDERS... whenever I take the time to focus my deep conditioner on my NG (applying it JUST like a relaxer ETA: but all the way to the ends of the hair) my NG comes out very soft and manageable... every single time without fail!

Last edited:

OK, Im still trying to get a regiment down pack but this is wassup... I was washing about once every 4-5 days with giovanni SAS deep moisture(sulfate free), then i would apply aphogee 2 min keratin, the deep condition with ors pak.then I apply a homemade leave in(which I plan ditching one i find a good leave in), seal with coconut oil,my thin hair doesnt take long too dry so after airdry loosely cornroll hair and put on custom wig.

THEN I thought maybe my breakage is from protein overload. so I nixed the aphogee and changed reggy to this: wash on sundays- pree poo with mix of castor & evoo shampoo with giovanni, DC with alter ego garlic nourshing condish(PRICEY... TO ME), apply herb energy treatment(VERY PRICEY...scalp drops from dominican salon... similar to cren if youve ever heard of it), apply the homemade leave in, seal with coconut oil, airdry, loosely cornroll and wig it. co wsh on wednesdays-i keep my braids in, use ors pak, nexxus humectress, or organix coconut condish(whichever is on hand), spray on myleave in, seal with coconut and wig it.

and I spray on my leave n and seal everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!?!:ohwell:

I cannot stretch beyond 8 weeks. My natural texture is soooo much different that the relaxed hair. I tried stretching last year and it is not for me. It's as if my hair said, "be relaxed or be natural, not both."

I cannot stretch beyond 8 weeks. My natural texture is soooo much different that the relaxed hair. I tried stretching last year and it is not for me. It's as if my hair said, "be relaxed or be natural, not both."

I feel you. I can stretch for long periods of time bc my natural hair doesn't really have a curl pattern- it sort of waves. My little sister however has the really tight curls that look like the spring inside a "clicky" pen. If she goes past 6 weeks (she usually does bc she's a broke college student), she doesn't comb her hair after it's been blowdried. She still gets breakage that way but I'm just saying that some ppl can do it, and others just can't.

OK, Im still trying to get a regiment down pack but this is wassup... I was washing about once every 4-5 days with giovanni SAS deep moisture(sulfate free), then i would apply aphogee 2 min keratin, the deep condition with ors pak.then I apply a homemade leave in(which I plan ditching one i find a good leave in), seal with coconut oil,my thin hair doesnt take long too dry so after airdry loosely cornroll hair and put on custom wig.

THEN I thought maybe my breakage is from protein overload. so I nixed the aphogee and changed reggy to this: wash on sundays- pree poo with mix of castor & evoo shampoo with giovanni, DC with alter ego garlic nourshing condish(PRICEY... TO ME), apply herb energy treatment(VERY PRICEY...scalp drops from dominican salon... similar to cren if youve ever heard of it), apply the homemade leave in, seal with coconut oil, airdry, loosely cornroll and wig it. co wsh on wednesdays-i keep my braids in, use ors pak, nexxus humectress, or organix coconut condish(whichever is on hand), spray on myleave in, seal with coconut and wig it.

and I spray on my leave n and seal everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!?!:ohwell:

I would say stop washing (with shampoo, anyway) every 4-5 days. Where are you located? I know it's sulfate free but maybe your hair would do well with a lo/no manipulation regimine for a little while or, until it gets warmer?

When you air dry when you're NOT stretching, are your ends frizzy? Do you get the same amount of breakage?

What does the breakage look like? Is it short (less than an inch) pieces? If so, it could just be dead ends..

It could be that the ors pak/nexxuss is not ALL RINSED OUT when you wash in braids so it dries out your hair when it's dried.

Lastly, if you're too heavy handed with the products, that can lead to breakage. I know it does for me. i hth

:yep:
I would say stop washing (with shampoo, anyway) every 4-5 days. Where are you located? I know it's sulfate free but maybe your hair would do well with a lo/no manipulation regimine for a little while or, until it gets warmer?

When you air dry when you're NOT stretching, are your ends frizzy? Do you get the same amount of breakage?

What does the breakage look like? Is it short (less than an inch) pieces? If so, it could just be dead ends..

It could be that the ors pak/nexxuss is not ALL RINSED OUT when you wash in braids so it dries out your hair when it's dried.

Lastly, if you're too heavy handed with the products, that can lead to breakage. I know it does for me. i hth

Thanx, ill try your suggestons :yep:

Definitely. Stretching can do more harm than good if you don't know how to do it properly. I haven't mastered that technique, but there are several women in this forum who have and are willling to share tips.

What's the ingredients in your homemade leave-in?

sorry for the delay but the ingredients are: water, nexxus humectress, roesmary, jojoba, and vitamin E oil....

what do think of those ingredients. i recently purchased giovanni direct leave in (cuz of all the raves) but i think thats a lil too thick for my fine tresses, so i bought some neutragena triple moisture, i see if i like that best.

BTW I re/tex/laxed and my breakage instantly stopped. im gonna try a longer stretch this time using small conrows under a lacewig once my NG starts to grow in.

Back