Could I really have 2inches of new growth ....

ElizaBlue

only 9 days post relaxer. I did an Affirm relaxer and two days later did an Aphogee treatment. I used Surge every day and then on day 4 after relaxer did a roller set. My hair is so wavy at the roots, either the Aphogee stripped my relaxer (which we all decided could not chemically happen) or my hair has grown 2 inches in 9 days. All opinions welcome and if anyone has a previous thread regarding false new growth after a protein treatment please post. This seems very deja vu.

I am thinking that the Aphogee treatment caused your relaxer to revert. This is possible
smile.gif

I would tend to think so also, however....so many time it's been posted that hair cannot revert once chemically processed.

But.....here is my "non-professonal scientific" explanation: The relaxer breaks the bonds of the hair to allow smoothing to straighten it right? Well we use Aphogee on damaged breaking hair to repair the bonds by adding protein to the hair shaft, I think I got that right. So if you used Aphogee immediatedly after a relaxer would it not reverse (revert) the whole process. It makes more sense to me that 2 inches of new growth.

I don't think you have 2 inches of new growth. I used Surge right after an relaxer and my roots went from straight to coiled. I don't know if the correct term is reversion, but I think something chemically changed. I threw that Surge out.

[ QUOTE ]
ElizaBlue said:
I would tend to think so also, however....so many time it's been posted that hair cannot revert once chemically processed.

But.....here is my "non-professonal scientific" explanation: The relaxer breaks the bonds of the hair to allow smoothing to straighten it right? Well we use Aphogee on damaged breaking hair to repair the bonds by adding protein to the hair shaft, I think I got that right. So if you used Aphogee immediatedly after a relaxer would it not reverse (revert) the whole process. It makes more sense to me that 2 inches of new growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would it revert two days after a relaxer, but not two months after one? If the hair was properly neutralized, it wouldn't absorb the aphogee any better.

Or even after a few months when your hair coudn't be extra pourus because of a recent relaxer... why doesn't your hair revert at all, not even a little?

My point is, it's ipossible for the treatment to make someone's hair go back to it's natural state, if it did then after every aphogee treatment or emergeence treatment that we do our hair should curl up (at lease a little). Not only immediatley after a relaxer, but every time.

It probably is more likely than not underprocessed and it is now showing up because there wan't anything to hide it (ie, tight rollersets, thermal irons etc.). But there must be a reason why you are not supposed to wash your hair for the first 48hours after a relaxer. Perhaps it needs that time to permantly set like a curly perm.

[ QUOTE ]
Purtygurly said:
oh yeah... do you think that it could be underprocessed Eliza?

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats what I was thinking because my relaxer used to only stay in for about 5 minutes (purposely) and my roots would be sumwhat wavey within the next couple of days.

Another way is to look where your ends are, where do they reach? Last year I got my hair cut into a six inch bob. 6 inches is earlobe length for me, 2 more inches would put me at shoulder length.

It sounds underprocessed to me. You would know if your hair is 2 inches longer. Like Ayeshia said, your ends would be hanging 2 inches lower than before.

[ QUOTE ]
ElizaBlue said:

[/ QUOTE ]

You're exactly right
smile.gif
And for some reason (my experience)--strong proteins only revert my hair when done too soon after a relaxer rather than if done a few weeks later. Even my stylist told me to wait 2 weeks before doing one. And if you'll notice--stylists don't use strong proteins as the conditioner on the day of the relaxer. The strongest they use is collagen protein (not keratin).

All of this may be different with no-lyes, which to my understanding lock the new pattern in place and it can't be alterned, not even with another relaxer.

since you guys have brought this up...elucence relaxer says to use their protein treatment after neutralizing the relaxer. and i remember people saying that the elucence relaxer didnt take or left their hair wavy, could this be why??? hopefully i'll be using elucence and i dont want ANY chances of my hair not being relaxed properly.any comments from people who have used elucence relaxer and the emrt??????????

Nope, I thought about that, but it was straighter after the relaxer and for the two days up until I did the Aphogee treatment.

Thanks everyone. The jury is in. The Aphogee caused what we describe as "reversion" whether that is chemically possible or not...I don't know I'm a cop not a scientist.

All I know is my hair looks like this relaxer is about four weeks old. As far as the length changing I have not re-measured. It always feels longer in the shower anyway. No more protein treatment for me so soon after a relaxer. I just was afraid of getting breakage.

Thanks for all your input.

[ QUOTE ]
ElizaBlue said:
Purtygurly,

I'm thinking because the hair shaft is still open.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what? In Shamboosie's book, he talks about this. He does say that after a relaxer, the hair cuticle remains slightly open for a few days. Hmmm...

Looks like you've figured it out little lady
smile.gif

Hmmmm....this is all very interesting. My hair totally looks like it's in it's natural state. it's naturally curly/wavy/frizzy, and looks exactly the same after relaxing. the only difference is my curls are more defined and not as frizzy, and of course, my hair is thicker when all natural. people are always asking if i have a relaxer, including stylists because they can't tell until it's blown out. my hair is definitely not under processed and i just think it's the products i use.

Back