Cosmetology School!

Healthb4Length

Hi ladies, just graduated college but I have been unhappy in the corporate working world for a while. So, I have finally decided that I will be going to cosmetology school next month. I will be going to LIBS in NYC! I am so excited I can't wait! I can't wait to get my bag with all the goodies! Wish me luck!

Now remember to share what you learn with your sisters here at LHCF! :) Congrats on your decision! You too Champagne!

@ Champ good luck to you!

@ Simplycee-- I definately will! It's cause of this board why I've had so much hair success so I will be sharing with my sistahs!

Alli, you sound just like me! My dream is to go to Cosmetology school to get my license and do so much in that field. It's just not feasible for me at this time.

Congratulations to you and best wishes! :)

Good luck! I am thinking the same thing. I'm going to school for nursing now but I want to do something that I really enjoy.

Congrats!!!

I'm just waiting to move to a city where I can attend a really good school. I dropped psychology to take up business and will most def get my cometology license as well. Even if I don't actually "style" the hair (I'm still working on that,lol) I want my salon to be a place where women can come to achieve and maintain healthy heads of hair :).

Good Luck!! :) I did the same thing. I graduated from college in 96. After Corporate America beat me to a pulp. I decided to go to cosmetology school. I just finished on December 3, 2004 and take my state board exam March 3, 2005!!!

Alli77 said:
Hi ladies, just graduated college but I have been unhappy in the corporate working world for a while. So, I have finally decided that I will be going to cosmetology school next month. I will be going to LIBS in NYC! I am so excited I can't wait! I can't wait to get my bag with all the goodies! Wish me luck!

WOW! That sounds so exciting! I'd like to go to beauty school one day. Let us know how everything goes!

I would like to go too! How is the theory aspect of the courses? If you like hair like we do, would it be a bore?

I'm interested in attending Cosmetology School in the future too - and will probably do hair as a side gig. I received some info from LIBS - hopefully within a couple of years I can attend. Good luck to ya!

skegeesmb said:
I would like to go too! How is the theory aspect of the courses? If you like hair like we do, would it be a bore?

Theory isn't a bore for me, I guess because I'm so into this stuff. I guess it depends on the real reason why you're in there.. like I'm basically all about the hair, so the whole manicure/pedicure/waxing etcetc is just so blah to me. I can't wait until we stop doing nails and go back to hair.

But anyway, theory was really easy for me (cos 100). i passed my final exam with a 100. :)

Hey Alli :wave:

Congrats on your decision!! I know you'll be fab at it and maybe you can do my texturizers for me when you're done :)

That's awesome! I have the same plan, only a different route than Cosmetology School. I'm ready to do something more creative outside of Corporate America myself. Even if on a part-time basis.

I've been in my field for over 10 years and it's time to fulfill my passion!! This site has made it even more clear to me that I need to do it :)

SG

Alli77 said:
I called up all of the best salons in NYC and they told me that this is the school to go to. Congratulations on going! I actually decided not to go and bought Milady's Cosmetology (that's the book that they use) instead. It was helpful and I sure that with that and all the amazing training that you receive and your sincere desire to help people grow hair -- as opposed to some people who are more hairstylists than dressers -- you will do very well! Soon youll be telling us you opened your own salon!

Congrats Alli!! see if you can get an internship at this salon in mid-town called Hairstyling by Joseph. I heard they have a great training program. They are into hair care and it is one of the few AA salons that does the rollerset and blow-out. They've been doing this technique since the early 80's. That's also where Miko of Curve Salon and my hairdresser trained as well.

@ Pretty brown eyes, I couldn't afford it a couple of years ago myself, But I learned that after you turn 24 financial aide can help. So that's what I'm using to help pay for it, financial aide.

@ Pretty brown eyes, I couldn't afford it a couple of years ago myself, But I learned that after you turn 24 financial aide can help. So that's what I'm using to help pay for it, financial aide.

@Hair2day good luck on the board exams!

@Sweettrini--you know it, I'd be happy to anytime!

@Brooklynheart--thanks for the heads up, I will definately look into that!

And thanks everyone for being so supportive! It's nice to feel comfortable and talk about hair hair and more hair! I feel at home at this site, my family thinks I'm crazy but I'm still venturing off and doing my hair thang!

Alli77 said:

Are you still at LIBS? If so how is it going? I went to both Aveda Institute and Empire Beauty School (LIBS) on the same day for an introduction interview but I am undecided which school to attend. Both courses seem to offer the same curriculum. Aveda is more expensive, requires you to do an entrance exam, write a letter of intent, have a letter of recommendation and also submit your high school transcript before you will even be considered:look:. It is not even a guarantee that you will get through because the classes are limited. On the other hand, Empire doesn't require all the extras, I just need to register and apply for finacial aid. That's it and I'm in for Dec 11. However, I am starting to think that Aveda might be a better school because of all the requirements that is needed to attend and there is also a difference in the atmosphere in comparison to Empire.

Do you have any thoughts on this? Is one school better than the other? Are they equally recognized?

Last edited:
Back