Cosmetology doesn't care about Black People

sunshinelady

Hey y'all,

I know this is going to be controversial, but I'm going to say it (ala Kanye West).

I just got set off by the Aveda salon using different relaxers and it just strikes me that we are treated as afterthoughts by many of these major cosmetology companies. I think there is a lack of innovation in our hair care products. I feel like if others had the issues that we have with our hair, then they would have been solved. Instead, they classify our hair as a problem and assign it medical terms like "wooly hair syndrome." Are our dollars not green? Do we not deserve innovative products that are actually spelled correctly (WTH is a rhelaxer and why do I need doo-gro)?

I feel like this problem extends to state cosmetology boards as well. Why are there dual curriculums in beauty schools, that allow white stylists avoid learning about how to do our hair? Seems like we get our hair done more than other folks?

Did Pantene actually test their Relaxed and Natural line on anybody? Why does it have the same exact ingredients as its other products?

If the majority population needed something to straighten their hair, they would go to Mars looking for rocks that had the perfect PH to do it.

I'm tired of this ish! Thank you! (steps down off my soap box) That's all I have to say about that.

Sunshinelady Douglass:boxing::saythat:

I totally agree with you I sent an email to Pantene Europe a few years ago when they launched the relaxed and natural line in the US asking them when it would be available in the UK. They wrote back to me telling me they had no plans to launch it in the UK because they didn't feel there was a substantial market for it. Fastforward to 2006 and a study is compiled with results showing that black people in the UK spend a third more on beauty and hair products than their white counterparts. Yet we still have to go to black hair salons instead of mainstream salons, black hair supply stores instead of the drugstore down the street etc

I think it's equally a not caring about our hair and an trying to use the white beauty standard against us so we spend money in the endless fight against our natural hair.
I'm relaxed tough and loving it but I do think that's what's going on.

Hey y'all,

I know this is going to be controversial, but I'm going to say it (ala Kanye West).

I just got set off by the Aveda salon using different relaxers and it just strikes me that we are treated as afterthoughts by many of these major cosmetology companies. I think there is a lack of innovation in our hair care products. I feel like if others had the issues that we have with our hair, then they would have been solved. Instead, they classify our hair as a problem and assign it medical terms like "wooly hair syndrome." Are our dollars not green? Do we not deserve innovative products that are actually spelled correctly (WTH is a rhelaxer and why do I need doo-gro)?

I feel like this problem extends to state cosmetology boards as well. Why are there dual curriculums in beauty schools, that allow white stylists avoid learning about how to do our hair? Seems like we get our hair done more than other folks?

Did Pantene actually test their Relaxed and Natural line on anybody? Why does it have the same exact ingredients as its other products?

If the majority population needed something to straighten their hair, they would go to Mars looking for rocks that had the perfect PH to do it.

I'm tired of this ish! Thank you! (steps down off my soap box) That's all I have to say about that.

Sunshinelady Douglass:boxing::saythat:

ITA, I liken it to research monies allocated for women's issues v. monies allocated for men's issues - prostrate cancer v. breast cancer, for example.

I agree with Hennagirl about the money being spent on the "majority groups." However I feel stronger that we should not wait around for someone else to do something for us. There are enough Black-owned hair care companies and BSS's out there that we can be serviced by. Personally I prefer to give my money to my own people. Why should I go to "general market" salons when they have quite enough business. Also I will not hold them to a standard higher than I will hold my own. Instead of demanding that they "do me right" I prefer to demand better form my own people.

I agree for the most part

As far as cosmetology schools...majority are that way but the school I went to being Empire Beauty...it is mandatory that everyone learn multiculural hair for the 6 weeks and then and another 6 weeks in addition to that on more african american/black hair.

It got to be a point where one student who was caucasion left the classroom because she didn't want to touch african american hair...But she was crazy to begin with. Otherwise every student is more readily to jump to do an african american person hair.

Only problem is they have been told by clients that I don't want you to do my hair because you are white...or i don't feel you have the experience to do so...but it's like everyone is here to learn.

Most products out there are tested on 1 hair type and if it works on theirs type then it works for all...some of the time they try to do it for kinky but most of the time they are going for those who are not african american.

These big industry ppl know the deal on whats good and what's not good for our hair...the fact is they don't care...

Hair industry used to be majority black owned now the tables have turned around. Hopefully we can change that....its a billion dollar industry and guess who spends the most...Blacks.

So anyways with my venting...I agree.:fistshake:

Well there are cosmetology schools that cater more to our hair, like Dudley. There are plenty of people out there who care about Black hair and not only in its relaxed state, but in it's natural state nowadays. There are quite a few products that I find online, created by people with textured hair as well as more salons opening up to cater to our haircare needs, so let us give them the business rather than worry about who is not doing what for us, just because they have a "high prestige" name!

Aveda caters mainly to a White audience or any audience with naturally manageable hair, or atleast would like to, so why bother with people who don't want to deal with our texture of hair. Why frustrate yourself?

Suneshine, I see your point. But I'm going to have to agree with OP, why should we rush to give our hard earned cash to an "industry" don't really give a damn about us or our hair? I would much rather take my chances and support ladies on this site or other "minority owned" online business ventures. Maybe your own frustration with the industry may inspire you to create the next big thing in haircare...ya never know:yawn:

When WE start making products that cater to our hair and we start buying them naturally the bigger companies will go where the money is and start making comparable products. But if we continue to wait for them to cater to us things will continue as they are. We gladly give them our money for some banana flavored mineral oil or what ever they are selling they are getting paid why should they change. We know our hair better than they do we need to support our own and we need to make them work a little harder for our dollar.

When WE start making products that cater to our hair and we start buying them naturally the bigger companies will go where the money is and start making comparable products. But if we continue to wait for them to cater to us things will continue as they are. We gladly give them our money for some banana flavored mineral oil or what ever they are selling they are getting paid why should they change. We know our hair better than they do we need to support our own and we need to make them work a little harder for our dollar.

So funny but so true:lachen::lachen:

ONE STEP FORWORD FOR BLACKS TO USE PRODUCTS MARKETED TO THE WHITE CONSUMER, TWO STEP BACKWORDS. for trying to market to the black consumer,
How many black owned products are grease, protroleum filled jars and change the color or the smell and sell it as new. what if Joico, Redeken,Aveda refused to sell their products to black consumers. I was taught by Black cosmetology instuctors that hair is hair made up of protein and water. I am sorry but there is no conspiresy to take over the black hair business,other than maybe the Korean, Chines. who are making millions by selling you products that make you keep coming back to buy fake hair to cover up you true natural or bald heads after you messed it up with the chemical in thier shops that they have no knowledge of.

Back