Correlation between sulphur and straightness of hair

natieya said:
Hello everyone! :wave: I was just surfing the net and I found this. It's really interesting. Also, it shows an upclose (microscope magnified) view of African hair, Asian hair and Caucasian hair. I was surprised to find that our hair and Caucasian hair is more elliptically shaped than Asian hair, which is round. Check it out.http://www.optics.rochester.edu/workgroups/cml/opt307/spr06/xue/project.htm

Yep! That's why most hair pieces/wigs/weaves are made of Asian hair. Chemically and physically, it is the most durable.
Great pics! :yep: It's interesting that this study was done in the department of mechanical engineering at this university!

Great post!

Hey, Sistaclick, I was reading somewhere in this hair book that you should conditon your hair about every 4 days because around the fourth day the conditioner has pretty much left the hair.

What do you think about that?

B1-8.JPG
Caucasian hair stand

C1-6.JPG
African hair strand

Ok, do you all notice that the African hair seems to have more ridges while the Caucasian hair doesn't. I wonder if this has something to do with the difference in wave pattern?

Quote from the site:

"Chemical composition: Proteins and amino acid constituting keratin are similar in African, Asian, and Caucasian hair as shown in the above x-ray spectrometry. Compare the relative amout of sulfur, we found the more sulfur the more straight of the hair. This result is consistent with the introduction. The rich disulfide cross-links lead to high mechanical properties."

This explains why some women say that their new growth seems softer or straighter when they use MSM or BT and other sulfur products. Finally, we have science proving what we have been saying all along.:D

chica_canella said:
Great post!

Hey, Sistaclick, I was reading somewhere in this hair book that you should conditon your hair about every 4 days because around the fourth day the conditioner has pretty much left the hair.

What do you think about that?

Well, I do it. :lol: But I would think it would depend on the type of conditioner product you are using and the condition of your hair.

Deep conditioners would give you a little more wear than an instant conditioner. Porous hair would need to be conditioned more regularly because of moisture loss- especially if the porosity isn't eventually corrected. If you live in an area with extreme climate--really hot, arid air or bitterly cold air, you'll probably need to condition the hair more often. There are lots of variables.

But conditioners aren't the only thing we use to condition our hair-- they the first and most potent conditioning line of defense.:lol: Our leave ins and daily moisturizers also contribute and help pick up the slack as the conditioner's effects begin to diminish.

Thank you so much for your advice.

I am in braids right now and my regimine is as follows. Oh, and I have 3c/4a hair.

So

-Wash once a week.
-Apply African Royale leave in conditioner, braid spray, and S-curl mixture with water every two days.
-Do LeKair Cholestrol Mask conditioner once every two weeks.
-I also use BT/MTG everyday.

I just need some protein I think? Do you think I need to add anything else to my C-G regimine and also if I am planning to do C-G until December I shouldn't have to cut my hair much in December I'm hoping.

Your articles are great! I just noticed you had some links in your siggy. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
chica_canella said:
B1-8.JPG
Caucasian hair stand

C1-6.JPG
African hair strand

Ok, do you all notice that the African hair seems to have more ridges while the Caucasian hair doesn't. I wonder if this has something to do with the difference in wave pattern?

Those ridges are overlapping cuticle layers. From the looks of the pic, the African strand has been stressed quite a bit more than the Caucasian strand. More layers are exposed and the layers look weathered. But this could be because the samples are from different parts along the hair shaft. A sample from the end nearest the scalp would look newer than an sample toward the end of the shaft. I wonder if these samples are of virgin hair? I'm pretty sure they took this into account, though.

I'll pm you, CC.

I have noticed that my hair is very soft and straight when taking MSM. -and the effects last even when I slack off a bit. I am texlaxed so it is hard to tell the difference between my new growth and texlaxed hair in the first 4-6 weeks post.

I love MSM for the anti-inflammatory effects as well. when I stop taking it I get flare-ups (thinning) in the picky side of my scalp; which is due to inflamed folicles.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. you and navesgeda are the only ones that break it down scientifically making it easier for me to understand what is going on with my hair.

Thank you so much.

This is the type of post that reminds me why I LOVE LHCF. This site is priceless when it comes to education about OUR hair.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed this info! I just HAD to share with my LHCF sistas (and brothas :p). I knew you guys would appreciate it as much as I did.

Much luv...:user:

i love posts like this. :D all scientific & stuff, and with pics!!! :) :) :) i'm still looking for this site i found awhile back though that showed an enlarged microscope pic of the groove that runs along the edge of african-american hair ... so the search continues for that one:lol:

Back