"Corrective" Relaxer??

L.A. Woman

\"Corrective\" Relaxer??

What exactly is that? Is it a different solution or is it a regular relaxer placed over the one done incorrectly?

Re: \"Corrective\" Relaxer??

Its done usually when someone underprocess your hair. When doing your touch up, or whenever you go back to salon, they'll run the relaxer through the underprocessed section(s).

I wouldn't do it, as it was done for me and my hair then was overprocessed. You have to go to someone that really knows hair and see what's suggested.

Another note on the subject: According the book by Shamboosie, if your have a no-lye relaxer and your hair was underprocessed, a corrective relaxer will not fix this problem. I think it's due to the chemical in the no-lye (calcium hydroxide) relaxer. It locks the hair into the underprocessed texture and not even another no-lye will fix the problem. HTH

Well said, Armyqt!!! Ask me how I know - I'm part of what I call the 'Underprocessed Hair Care forum'! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Don't know how it works if you underprocess using a lye relaxer - I would imagine that the damage could be fixed. But underprocessing from a no-lye relaxer - well, just be prepared to avoid being out in the rain or humidity, as the hair will revert & it will look like you're a natural . . .

And of course it's misty, drizzly and foggy here in NY!!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Thanks for this info! It helps as I continue to sit on the fence deciding to go back to relaxing. And if I do and it gets underprocessed I wanted to know what my options were.

After reading other posts, I'm thinking of going to Marvin Carrington so that it gets done properly one time....

Back