Cornrows are "out of style?"

glamgal198

Do you think so? I told my bff i wanted to get cornrows for a protective style and she laughed at me and said "Nobody where's cornrows anymore! They're out of style!" Now that i think about it, i haven't seen anyone on campus rockin cornrows for awhile now, so i'm like "hm...?" :rolleyes:
I thought cornrows were kind of a classic style? Maybe i'm wrong? I don't want to get them and have people look at me like, "Why?" lol. Does anyone still wear them?

I don't think they are out of style and if you hook them up right or wear them with cute accessories, they can be quite stylish.

Get some. Hook them up. She may even want to get some for herself. :lol:

I know several ladies here wear cornrows.

I didn't think so! My bestfriend is crazy, lol. Thanks hun, I think i'll go ahead and get my braids this weekend :grin:

Don't let them braid your edges too tight!

I have not gotten corn-rows in a while, but when I had them it was fun. I had them in for only about 3 weeks but it was nice to give my hair a break.

And, yes, they did look hot and in style. :yep: I used to love to do a low side bun with a flower on it. CUTE!

I think if you want to wear cornrows, then you should wear cornrows - regardless of what someone else says is in style or out of style. Go bold! Be brave! Be true to yourself! Wear anything you wish with your head held high; people are not likely to see you as out of style, but as original.

I'm rocking cornrows right now and I get lots of compliments! And what better time to do something than when a lot of people ARENT doing it. Cornrows can be beautiful and even upscale. Check my album...the cornrows I'm wearing now are almost exactly the same. Rock those cornfields with confidence! Your gal pal might see you with them and want some herself!

I wouldnt care if ppl were looking at me crazy, when my hair is to my a** they would want to know how it got so long.

Ppl are ROCKING cornrows...under neath their WEAVES LOL...but yeah without the weave i don't see anyone rocking them.

Girl,
In my opinion you make your own style!!!
I know she's your bff but she's the main one who will be saying girrrlll your braids look nice!! Wow!! you got ready real fast tonight and last but not least... Damn your hair sure did grow fast, maybe I need to get me some cornrows? How much did soandso charge?:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Go with your gut instincts and rock the mess out of your cornrows. I'm trying to figure out what style I'm getting over the weekend. If I get my act together I will post pics.

HHG

Ppl are ROCKING cornrows...under neath their WEAVES LOL...but yeah without the weave i don't see anyone rocking them.

Ditto, I don't do "ghetto styles" outside the house. They are good for underneath weave though. I just feel so butch whenever I wear them as is.:look: Its not for me.

I just wore some for about a week back in August that were in a pretty updo and got a lot of compliments. An associate of mine is rocking some right now that look cute.

Like a PP said, they just have to be worn in a current way.

Thanks for all the encouragement ladies! I'll be getting them this weekend (with pictures!), and adding lots of accessories :grin: BTW, i LOVE the flower idea...i think they'd look cute with big hoop earrings too! Thanks again!

I LOVE cornrows! I'll see if I can find some pics. as soon as my hair gets long enough they are coming right back in.

I am one to just rock what I want to rock, I really don't care what others have to say about it. :yep: However, I think when you say "cornrows", people automatically assume that you're just going to wear them straight back, like the guys are wearing their hair. There are a variety of ways and styles that cornrows can be worn. Like others have said, you can wear updo's. You can add extensions if need be.

Get them braided into a style that suits your face and personality, and then gon' about your business, girlie. :2cool: Then come back and post pics after you have them done!

I'm rocking them now with phony ponies. I'm gonna get real with you: How long is your friend's hair? Don't listen to people who don't have the same hair goals as you because their advice will cause great setbacks. You wouldn't copy off the class dunce, right? You wouldn't take transmission advice from a Finance major with no automotive experience? Then why listen to your friend? For trendy cornrowed styles, try essence.com or look at various fotkis. Best person to ask for is Mooks Hair. She's a member here with self-braiding videos and all.She's good!

cornrolls to me can never go out of style..Maybe she doesn't see people rocking cornrolls but where I am from see them all the time. In the summer that was the way I did my daughters hair every week and people always was checking her hair out. cornrolls goes back so many years when I was young that was what was in my hair we are talking around 81 or 82 and they still are hot.

Been wearing cornrows for months now....ever since I joined the hardcore C&G challenge right here.

See avatar.....I love this protective style. My hair is simply flourishing in these braids.:grin:

Mind me asking what would you consider "ghetto Styles"?

Yeah that jumped out at me too.:ohwell::perplexed

Noni... Where are you?

OP, where do you live? And how old are you?
I originally wanted to jump all over this because Cornrows are my favorite style and I wear them all the time. I also see many people here in NJ in and out of the ghetto wearing them. Men and ladies wear them.

But when I thought about the 18-22 college aged demographic, I had to back up and wonder if it is a style of the past for women in this group. I'd have to say that Cornrows are Classic and timeless - kinda like Buns but I have never really been one to care about what the trends are...I do what works and Cornrows are it for me. I get compliments all the time and always have other people coming to me to do their cornrows.

Mook's Hair, I'm here. :wave:

Cornrow not in fashion? Puhlease! :rolleyes: And even if that had been the case, which it isn't, who cares? I'm so not a slave to fashion. I wear what I want, when I want and sometimes it turns out that just by dancing to the beat of my own drum, I set a trend that others start to follow. They start to see what they would never have been seen dead in isn't so bad after all. I say learn to do what makes you happy, not what makes others happy. You can never please everyone so why even try?

i vote that is crap. I know i will be wearing them all my life. You just have to pic nice styles... see my fotki and my siggy...
Do you girl!!!

When cornrows were popular I had them to prolong my stretch and got a lot of growth, but they are out of style right about now, I would still probably rock them....maybe. I knew they were out when alicia keys started wearing her hair out :(. Get them if you want to though to me they always look nice.

I guess part of the determination deals with Fad and celebrity exposure.
I mean yes - Clearly The Kid & Play Box goes into the out of style column but for how long? I mean as soon as Kanye or T.I or someone grows their hair and starts it up again, That'll be the new swagger. Just like all these young men getting parts and designs cut into their fades again. That 'WAS' played out but now it is back.

Halle Berry's Signature hair cut circa Strictly Business (1991) went out of style but it's still Cute and some women still sucessfully wear it because it suits them.

Some of the non weave blonde hairstyles that Mary J Blidge wears are just variations of that old Salt n Peppa Cut that Pep used to wear.

Technically French Rolls are out of style but if someone wears one and it's fierce...Who's Hatin?

Yeah, it might be kinda weird to see someone with that TBoz cut 'the one with the long pieces on the sides' But again...how much longer til that's the new Ish again.

I just feel like BRaids and Cornrows are from our Roots - These styles are hundreds of years old. Pre middle passage, pre pyramid, In the bible when everyone begat everyone who begat everyone, I wouldn't be surprised if they were all braiding and cornrowing their daughters hair too.:yep:

Back