Cornrows and Transitioning

Dlene

I am currently transitioning and I am 18 weeks post. I want to continue transitioning and I want to get braids again. I have the appointment scheduled for tomorrow. The only problem is I am afraid to braid my hair and then when it comes time to take them down, I have a problem with matting and detangling. I only plan to keep them in for two weeks just because I want a break from the daily buns (which are my signature style that I adore).

Is it better to just braid my own hair or with extensions? I know at least with extensions it will last a little longer and I can wash it once a week and it will still look good as compared to my own hair. Plus, my mother prefers me to use extensions since it will last longer and a professional is doing it rather than one of my friends. I only plan to get one layer straight back or something simple.

Any advice? TIA

hello fellow transitioner!

the only difference i can see in your hair only vs. adding extensions would be how long you wanted your hair to look. my hair is very short so i would add extensions. but your hair is longer so it may sweep your shoulders after its said and done. so the question i would ask is: would you like your hair to look longer or shorter?

make sure the braids aren't put in too tight. it can cause breakage. and yes, i do also think they will keep longer with extensions. as far as better for your hair, you can always wash the hair before adding it to your own. the chemicals they use to treat the hair can sometimes cause breakage.

maybe someone else who knows more about hair can help. good luck with your decision.

I dont think your hair will mat in 2 weeks time. Ive had cornrows for over a month ata time before and never had any problems with matting. Your hair wont grow enough to mat in 2 weeks. As far as cornrows without the extnetions, the only problem I can see is how you would keep the ends from unraveling... Other than that I dont see why not.

Back