Cornrow/Braid/Twist wearers: Do you let braiders neaten you up?

Do you or do you let braiders/twisters/cornrowers neaten you up?

• Yes

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • I use another method...(explain)

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

cmw45

When I used to get my micro braids put in (and the fat ones when I used to wear them) the braider would always burn up the side of my hair at the end and or use scissors to clip up the side of my braids. When I asked her if she was cutting my hair she said, "No, I'm cutting the extensions, your hair is protected inside." But later I got to thinking, and, unless your hair is perfectly even, then when they cut up the side they are definitely cutting your hair. Right? My new stylist dosen't do this, but I was thinking about going to that shop when I go back home and I was wondering if you ladies let the stylist "neaten you up?" (Or if you do your own braids, do you neated yourself up?

The person that I used to do my twists this time didn't do this but I remember a while back when I was younger, the stylist did do this.:eek: I didn't even think about it until you just mentioned it!! I would think that they are cutting or burning your hair as well.

I've often wondered the same thing when they clip up the sides or even burn the hair. It does make me a little nervous whether they are clipping/burning my hair or just the synthetic hair. So far, no damage noticed.

cmw45 said:
When I used to get my micro braids put in (and the fat ones when I used to wear them) the braider would always burn up the side of my hair at the end and or use scissors to clip up the side of my braids. When I asked her if she was cutting my hair she said, "No, I'm cutting the extensions, your hair is protected inside." But later I got to thinking, and, unless your hair is perfectly even, then when they cut up the side they are definitely cutting your hair. Right? My new stylist dosen't do this, but I was thinking about going to that shop when I go back home and I was wondering if you ladies let the stylist "neaten you up?" (Or if you do your own braids, do you neated yourself up?

OH YEAH... CONGRATS ON THE BC!!:cool: I wish I was at that point!! HHG!!

I got kinky twists about a week ago, and she only neatened up the twists. My hair is only about 4 or 5 inches and she didn't go up that far trimming the loose strings of hair. I do remember getting cornrows at an African shop and they 'neatened" up all over. I just knew they were clipping my hair, but that whole fiasco was a nightmare. :(

I never liked when they did that either. And I remember once I said something about it and she was like I'm cutting the fake hair. Umm yeah sure... :mad:

lmjenk67 said:
I've often wondered the same thing when they clip up the sides or even burn the hair. It does make me a little nervous whether they are clipping/burning my hair or just the synthetic hair. So far, no damage noticed.

I think you are my hair twin! I love your TWA. So fierce.

i wear micros alot, and everytime i let them cut up the braids, because the only hair that sticks out at that point is short peices of stick straight hair and im natural so i kno its not mine.....i have not gotten any damage from them doing that or burning the length of the braid (even though that method sounds really bad :look: )

i used to go on 125th to get my hair cornrowed. they would "neaten" it up too. my friend told me to never let them do that because she felt like some of her hair had been cut before. the next time i went in, i asked the braider not to do that when she pulled out the scissors. she got an attitude but i stayed firm. it's my hair, so why get an attitude? it made me feel like they wanted to cut some of my hair.

cmw45 said:

HELL NOOOO!!! That's a recipe for disaster. Your hair is not "proteteced inside" That quote needs to go into the stupidest things hair dressers have ever said thread. That's just ridiculous. :ohwell: I wish a stylist would try that ish with me.

when i braid someones hair i usually trim the area where the extension ends because i fold the hair and that area stickouts and is obviously ONLY the extension. when i finish the braids i burn the ends but i usually braid 2in beyond where the natural hair ends. I would never suggest that you let someone burn up and down the length of the braid or trim up and down the braid NEVAH EVAH EVAH!!!!!!!!!!!

tiffcurl said:
i used to go on 125th to get my hair cornrowed. they would "neaten" it up too. my friend told me to never let them do that because she felt like some of her hair had been cut before. the next time i went in, i asked the braider not to do that when she pulled out the scissors. she got an attitude but i stayed firm. it's my hair, so why get an attitude? it made me feel like they wanted to cut some of my hair.

That's been the response that I have gotten too. She kinda got an attitude as was like..."It's not your hair. Your hair is protected inside the extensions." :ohwell: I let her do it because she was so very insistant...but since I've allowed my hair to grow naturally I've not let them do it...although that probably has to do with the fact that I have a very nice stylist who thinks the way I do.:grin:

shiningstar84[B said:
HELL NOOOO!!! That's a recipe for disaster. Your hair is not "proteteced inside" That quote needs to go into the stupidest things hair dressers have ever said thread. That's just ridiculous. :ohwell: I wish a stylist would try that ish with me.

:( :nono: ITA!

Last edited:
well i use too when i use to get braids two years ago, but i don't get braids anymore because my hairline was coming out. i have always wondered if it was ok for braiders to neaten up your braids, and i too much didn't like when they had to do it but i always thought it was ok but now i don't think so.

I actually stopped going to get my hair cornrowed and taught myself because I refused to let someone burn my hair just to give it a neat appearance. I would rather use some moose or some oil and a head scarf to make the fly-aways go down.

When I get braids I always let them neaten them up using scissors. It's never really much that they have to cut away on my hair and it just makes for an overall neater style. Now burning up and dow the entire length of the braid is just a bit much.

Back