Consciously taking care of hair-how long?

I thought I knew what I was doing back in 97-98
ohwell.gif
. But I was still using heat (Wanakee said it was okay
frown.gif
). So I had kinda healthy hair, but no concept of the damage I was doing w/heat. So I've just become fully informed... 4-5 mos really, after coming here in March 04. I realized I didn't know ish
nono.gif

since jan of this yr...

i have been on this site since may of last yr...but it didnt sink in..till about this january..

Since March of 2004. I had a stylist who overprocessed my hair for four years and I was trying to find a solution to my hair problems. Thank goodness I started reading hair care books and found this forum or I would still be clueless about proper care for relaxed hair.

Since December 2003. My hair has never gotten past brastrap until I joined this board

since I've been doing my own hair. i was in 5th or 6th grade. "taking care" of my hair pretty much by accident. didn't own any appliances so i always airdried. moms used to do my touch ups. then around 93 (10th grade) i started doing my own touch ups. by then i had learned how to rollerset. pretty much used flat iron to bump once a week, if that, as necessary. curling everyday...just seemed wrong. i think it had more to do with the smell than the health.

but in all honesty i think i've ALWAYS been hair and makeup conscience--read obsessed. always reading even b4 i was doing my own hair. so i think that helped alot. that and the fact that i am/was somewhat too lazy to "do it" everyday.

my one year hair care anniversary is august 1st 2004!!! Yay!!! i've gained so much length and lost a little length due to experimentation, but in one more year i should be near waist length!!!

I've always been a little informed on what to do i.e. little to no heat. Jan. 1, 2004 is when I seriously started a hair care regimen.

Officially since July 2003. So, it's been a year for me. My hair's health has greatly improved and I've really learned how to retain length.

[ QUOTE ]
MizAvalon said:
Hi there, not sure if this has been posted before, so forgive me. But I thought it'd be nice to know how long such lovely ladies with lovely hair have been consciously taking care of their hair. I mean actually devoted to it like you are now. For me, it's been about 6 yrs.-since'98. I have gotten even better(or more paranoid
laugh.gif
) in the past year. So, how long has it been since everyone stopped frying their hair with heat, stopped applying relaxers root to ends, stopped ripping your hair out with fine-tooth combs, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

July'03 for me!

I started i think in the spring of 2001, and then started slipping in January 2003. Then I started again the day I joined the forum, which was July 16th 2003 I think. I have been doing pretty good everysince then , except for a couple slips, which only lasted a few days I think.

I would have to say Summer 1997. My hair broke off so bad from coloring and hot curling...I cut it to ear length to start over and have been taking care of it ever since (roller wraps, wash once a week, etc), even more so when I found this board last year.

May 2004. Before then I thought I was taking care of my hair but coming here, I realized that I was close but yet so far away.
ohwell.gif

Back