confused about my hair

Integrity

I am quite confused /images/graemlins/confused.gif ok, I had a relaxer put in on the 3rd January by an excellent hairstylist who used affirm no-lye regular on my 4ab hair. The results were excellent. I mean, this woman is an award winning stylist (www.lacoupefutur.com) so i never worry when she does my touch up and cant bring myself to think she did not relax properly. But this time round my roots are already kind of puffy, like i can feel new growth and it aint even been 2 weeks yet. i could feel the growth by day 7. I am tempted to say it is NEW GROWTH but i dont think my hair grows that fast! then again, i am now taking vitamins but not so much (500mg pantothenic acid, 1mg biotin, 750mg MSM, 1 multivitamin with iron, 15mg zinc and 1000mg evening primrose oil). Is it possible to get increased hair growth even with such relatively low doses of 'hair growth vitamins'?? I dont think the doses are so so much to boost hair growth like that.

could it be that the relaxer did not take and the roots are reverting???

by the way, i dont know how many inches of growth i get a month. i cannot be bothered to find out.

I always used to get growth within two weeks of relaxing and I always needed a touch up within 4-5 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if that really was growth.

I don't know how you can measure your progress without knowing how long your hair grows. You should just measure a few strands now and use that as a guide in two to three months.

I'm not a vitamin expert, but apart from the Zinc, I wouldn't say your doses are low.

Hi Pandora, /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Is this the first time that you're using this particular relaxer? Maybe the use of the vitamins are accelerating your hair growth, though I can't imagine that it would cause your roots to get so puffy in just 7 days. I guess anything is possible.

I've noticed that when I use to use a no-lye relaxer, my hair would look like it was reverting soon after; as soon as 2 weeks later. I like the look of the lye relaxer better on my hair. It looks smoother for a longer period of time. Have you ever considered trying the lye version? Maybe that would help. Keep taking your vitamins though. No matter how troublesome it can get, new growth is always good news! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
londongirl3 said:

I'm not a vitamin expert, but apart from the Zinc, I wouldn't say your doses are low.

[/ QUOTE ]

they are certainly low COMPARED to what the other ladies are taking to get results and certainly well below what Bargello recommends to see increased hair growth. for example, acc to Bargellos research, MSM needs to be at least 2000mg and biotin at least 5mg per day and i think pantothenic acid at 500mg is used to treat acne (my skin is glowing). I think TARA did this and saw results on her skin.

so i havent really been expecting my hair to grow so fast when i found out my quantities were low.

i guess i should stop rambling and thank God for my new growth, if it is NEW hair anyway

Hi Pebbles /images/graemlins/smile.gif,

its the second time I am using this relaxer. I have just bought myself a whole tub of motions lye regular and will make the transition the next touch up.

it may also be that my hair has always grown this fast but never noticed it since i never paid any attention to my hair till late 2002. since i am more concious of my hair now, i notice stuff like this....??

since i am more concious of my hair now, i notice stuff like this....??

[/ QUOTE ]
I know what you mean. I am now learning a lot about my hair that I never paid attention to before. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

they are certainly low COMPARED to what the other ladies are taking to get results and certainly well below what Bargello recommends to see increased hair growth. for example, acc to Bargellos research, MSM needs to be at least 2000mg and biotin at least 5mg per day and i think pantothenic acid at 500mg is used to treat acne (my skin is glowing).

[/ QUOTE ]

Pandora remember that everyone reacts differently. What you take maybe all you need for a good noticeable amount of growth. I used to take so many like 45 a day of different oils, vitamins and herbs and noticed nothing. The moment I stopped my growth came in better. The body has a funny way of working.

Remember also a relaxer once put in the hair cannot revert.

Frankly, in view of what you said about your hairstylist, I wonder if it's not the iron. How much iron is in the multivitamin? Even as little as 5mg daily can make a tremendous difference if you are borderline with your stores.

~Jade~

14mg iron in the multiV which is the RDA. Jade, are you saying that the iron is boosting my hair growth even if its within daily limits?? i can mention that there is already 15 mg zinc in the multiV and i am taking extra 15mg for the short term. i found out up to 50mg per day is OK. zinc thickens up the hair strands

Back