Confessions of a PJ (looooong)

imani97

Hi, my "name" is imani, and I am a product junkie.

It all began when I came to this site hoping to get my hair into shape. At first I laughed at the thought of a site devoted to hair, let alone long hair. "How vain," I thought. Black women don't have long hair, only the girls with.... shall I say it, g**d hair. :nono: But I continued to watch from the side lines until I heard mention of a familiar topic.... Dominican Salons. :eek: I did have something in common with these women! So I quickly forked over my $5 to join. My first post was one asking about products used at Jaselvis Salon in Md. It wasn't answered, but that was o.k. because in the coming hours, I would learn of so many more products that I quickly forgot about the mystery substance that the Domincans had used to make my hair so silky. I'd found what would be the source of my product addiction, Sickbay. Not only did I order from Sickbay that day (no rhyme intended :lol: ), but I also trekked all the way to Wegman's which was 30 min. away to get some substance called Salerm Wheat germ mask. Forget the fact that there was a snow storm coming, I had to get my fix. My roommate looked at me crazy when I said that I was traveling so far for hair products, but I didn't care.

Next thing I knew, I was buying flat irons (ended up with three), a new dryer (now have two), kiddie perms, and even sat with milk on my head to straighten my hair. My friends thought I was obsessed, my parents were afraid that I might get involved with some dangerous people on line (I am convinced that ya'll are dangerous, but in a good way :lol: ), and my roommate still looked at me crazy. Before I knew it, I had enough products to last me at least two years. But it wasn't until today that I realized that I have a problem. A can't hang out with my boyfriend until I check LHCF problem. A gotta buy Ojon Restorative without really knowing what it is kind of problem. A I have just bought Jason organics tea tree shampoo and conditioner and tea tree oil, despite having Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo already kind of problem. I don't even know how to use tea tree oil! :lachen: To make matters worse, I plan on buying peppermint oil next week.

Many people have addictions, luckily this one isn't life threatening. I haven't heard of anyone oding on Lacio Lacio yet. :look: I have made the first step, admitting that I have a problem. I am a product junkie.... and I love it!

ETA: Please realize that I have been re-educated and know that there is no such thing as "good" hair.

Last edited:
You don't have to tell me. I had to make a sacrifice with the bathroom cabinet. I mean, what is more important, cleaning supplies or the complete line of Elasta, Bed Head and Ms. Jessies Products? So, I just put the cleaning supplies underneath the sink on the hubby's side. He doesn't need all of that space ;)

hahaha...I wash just telling myself this weekend. This ish is ridiculous. Normal people don't spend this much time and money on their hair.

Girls, I hear you! Sickbay had me buying 10 conditioners a couple weeks ago---they were so glad of my business that they threw in an extra jar of conditioner!

Come on over here gurl and let me REBUKE that spirit of 'pj'ism' in you....

lol. kidding. U know I feel you, my fiance and my sisters think i'm nuts too. But u know if I can afford to take my lil money and buy these products then it ain't really nobody's business. Plus it ain't like I'm gonna continue buying new products for the rest of my life...I'm just trying things out now...I've narrowed down a few staples and until i'm fully satisfied with er'thang...i will continue to be a pj' and proud of it.

Sincerely,
A PJ in Denial

I understand, I was already a pj before finding this board about a week ago. So, I go out and buy new products. First thing my husband said so you have all that other "crap" in the bathroom closet taking up all the shelves are you throwing it away. I said hecks naw, not until I find something I love.

Mizani_Mrs said:
Come on over here gurl and let me REBUKE that spirit of 'pj'ism' in you....

lol. kidding. U know I feel you, my fiance and my sisters think i'm nuts too. But u know if I can afford to take my lil money and buy these products then it ain't really nobody's business. Plus it ain't like I'm gonna continue buying new products for the rest of my life...I'm just trying things out now...I've narrowed down a few staples and until i'm fully satisfied with er'thang...i will continue to be a pj' and proud of it.

Sincerely,
A PJ in Denial

Grrrl, you ain't in denial. You, like me, have owned up to your PJism and are accepting it as a part of you. :lol: Who cares though anyway? As long as your hair is healthy. I'll have to take a picture of my closet though. It's pretty bad. :nono:

i have admitted that i need help. my family and friends are convinced that i need help. my friends are disappointed that i would rather spend my money of scientifically named products (nexxus humectress) than go on a shopping spree with them. my parents breathed a sigh of relief when i cut my hair and my mom thinks she'll be getting my products (hell no). I decided to get twist extensions and when i went to the asian farmers' market today, i saw sedal products. i couldnt read the spanish and i was ready to grab all the bottles, take pics and ask my LHCF sisters to translate and tell me which is which but the jars of unrefined shea butter distracted me , then black soap and my friend had to drag me out of there. i will be going back there.........................................

Last edited:
Dolapo said:
i have admitted that i need help. my family and friends are convinced that i need help. my friends are disappointed that i would rather spend my money of scientifically named products (nexxus humectress) than go on a shopping spree with them. my parents breathed a sigh of relief when i cut my hair and my mom thinks she'll be getting my products (hell no). I decided to get twist extensions and when i went to the asian farmers' market today, i saw sedal products. i couldnt read the spanish and i was ready to grab all the bottles, take pics and ask my :HCF sisters to translate and tell me which is which but the jars of unrefined shea butter distracted me , then black soap and my friend had to drag me out of there. i will be going back there.........................................

Girl let it out. It's o.k. This is a safe haven for PJs. :knight: It's funny that you said that you wanted to take pics b/c I don't know how many times I've wished that I had folks' phone numbers while I was in the BSS or Health Food Store. :phone: Usually, I just make a mental note and go straight to the board when I get home. :user:

Back