Cones and Sulfates?

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
Are the two ingredients I have bolded the bad ones people are talking about when they say stay away from "cones" and sulfates? I just need to make sure I understand before I jump on any bandwagons.

Water, Organic Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Cucumber Fruit Extract, Chamomile Extract, Marigold Flower Extract, Lavender Oil, Lavender Extract, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Amodimethicone, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Witch Hazel, Ceteareth-20, Sweet Almond Oil, Menthol, Avocado Oil,
PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid.

Are the two ingredients I have bolded the bad ones people are talking about when they say stay away from "cones" and sulfates? I just need to make sure I understand before I jump on any bandwagons.

Water, Organic Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Cucumber Fruit Extract, Chamomile Extract, Marigold Flower Extract, Lavender Oil, Lavender Extract, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Amodimethicone, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Witch Hazel, Ceteareth-20, Sweet Almond Oil, Menthol, Avocado Oil,
PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid.

Behentrimonium Methosulfate - It's not the sulfate that people are speaking of. The ones to look out for are:

Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Sodium Laureth Sulfate

These are chemicals that deeply cleanse the hair, which can leave the hair stripped. They also are carcinogens. They are good to use once and a while to remove build up, but there are more options to removing build up without them. There are other sulfates, but they are much milder.

Behentrimonium Methosulfate is actually an emollient/conditioning agent.

Amodimethicone - This is a cone, but it is far down the list. The more of an ingredient that is in the product, the higher that it is on the list. Unless your hair REALLY doesn't like cones, I feel that it's best to just limit them (not eliminate them) Just don't pile products with cones in them on top of eachother or overuse them and you'd be fine.

Methylisothiazolinone - Not a cone. the ending is "none" It's a preservative.

I'd advise you to do more research on this stuff! It's really not THAT much to learn and it'll make your shopping experience much easier!

btw... the ingredients to the product seem to be a conditioner. I wouldn't use it as a deep conditioner, but it may be a great one to co wash with or leave in!

Thanks for the info. The ingredients are to the WEN cleansing conditioner. I didn't want to bias anyone so I didn't say what it was to since he has a following here.

Thanks for the info. The ingredients are to the WEN cleansing conditioner. I didn't want to bias anyone so I didn't say what it was to since he has a following here.

Funny that I was able to identify it so easily without knowing exactly what it was, huh?

That's what happens when you spend too much time here :lol:

Back