Conditoning & Deep Conditioning

freckles

Hello everyone, hope you had a blessed christmas.

I was wondering, I condition about every 3 to 4 days, but what is considered a deep conditioning and how often should this be done. Im just a little confused on this subject.

Thanks for your help!

Well, when I call myself deep conditioning my hair, I've either 1) Left the conditioner on for about 1 hr. (no heat) 2) Left the conditioner on for 30 min. (heat by hooded dryer), or 3) Left the conditioner on overnight. Really, just allowing my hair and the conditioner to really get to know one another. I do this every time I wash, which is every 5 days.

Conditioning for me is 5 minutes with a conditioner(no heat) then rinsing it out.

Deep conditioning for me is covering hair w/ conditioner w/ a plastic cap and conditioning for 15 minutes under the dryer.

Any more for me is overkill since my hair is fine...

Basically Deep Conditioning is with heat IMO /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi freckles,

Like Vevster said, deep conditioning is done with heat for anywhere from 10-30 minutes, depending on the instructions of the product you use. The heat causes the hair shaft to swell and the product penetrates the hair shaft as opposed to just staying on the surface of your hair. You should use a product that is made for deep conditioning. ORS Hair Mayonnaise is a good one to try. There are a lot of other really good ones also.

I deep condition with every wash, which is every 3 days. If you don't have the time for that, then I would recommend once a week. Some people do it less frequently. It all depends on the individual. Hope that Helped. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I never time mine but I can't do the put in rinse out in 5 mins kinda conditioning anymore. I usually do 30 minutes with heat, over an hour without heat or sometimes overnight.

I do this after every hair wash, even if its every 2 days or every 4 days.

Cute Name. Do you have frecles? Just curious b/c I do. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm like Londondiva. I deep condition after every wash with no set time limit.

HTH,
TsAngel

Technically /images/graemlins/wink.gif , deep conditioning is when you use heat with a protein conditioner. But most of us here on the board refer to any kind of conditioning done with heat as a "deep" conditioner. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Deep conditioning (for me): A protein conditioner with heat fpr 20 minutes or a Moisturizing Conditioner with no heat for 30 minutes or more.

Overnight makes my scalp itch.

As you can see deep conditioning means different things tp different people depending on hair type, length, and personal preferences. The aim is to give the hair an intensive treatment - and not just 5 minutes with any old conditioner.

Here's what deep conditioning is for my hair:

a moisturizing conditioner with no heat for 30 minutes or longer (sometimes overnight)

a protein conditioner (Aubrey Organics GPB) with heat for 20 to 30 minutes

The definition of deep conditioning does vary from person-to-person.

As a matter of fact I have hundreds of freckles and plenty of red hair to go with them.

Thanks to everyone for sharing!

Back