conditioner can mold?

aegis

ok so i got some lustrasilk cholesterol conditioner after reading about it here [yes i am a pj:look:] and i dc-ed friday...all good

today i decided i wanted to dc again and i notice white spots in it:sad:
at first i was like meh whatever and was prepared to mix it with some oils but then i noticed it was MOLD:nono: so i put it down and used ors

now i have never seen this in conditioner. esp. conditioner i JUST bought from the store! :ohwell: i dont know what to think.

Must have been in the store for years. I get worried about those products especially as nobody buys them much. Relaxers as well ... The shop i go to is still selling the old formula of optimum care relaxer till this day.

The first I've heard of conditioner molding was when I watched a video done by macherieamour. She was just about to pre-poo her hair with an old conditioner when she realized it had molded. Before then I didn't know conditioners could mold. I thought whatever preservatives they put in them would prevent that, lol.

Generally, conditioners (w/ artificial preservatives) tend to have a shelf life of 2-3 years. So that must've been one hecka old jar of cholesterol! Even with dipping your fingers inside, it shouldn't have deteriorated so quickly.

A tip I learned (when I worked at a Sally's Beauty Supply as a college student) is when you get a product off the shelf that sometimes the price tag can tell you when the batch was manufactured. Also, I always take the one in the back because employees are taught to put the older bottles and jars in front and the newer ones in back (understandable, but still, I want a "fresh" jar).

I had some Aubrey Organics go moldy on me, but it's probably because I had introduced contaminates into the bottle by watering it down and not using it right away.

I've also had a shea butter black mold farming community thriving in a jar. More than likely due to dipping damp hands into the container got it started.

Never anything straight off the shelf. Take that mess back asap.

Yuck.

Oh my this thread couln't have come at a better time. I am doing the Use up your stash challenge and decided to use up some Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor I had. When I went to get some out of the bottle it was all slimy and sticky - URGHHHHHH. Had to bin the lot. It is about 2 years old tho. Am a bit pissed with myself b/c I paid about £16/$22 for it and prob only used it about twice - just stoopid !

:ohwell:

Had a Shampoo that molded. It was Sunsilk...One would think that the cleaning properties in the poo would prevent it from molding...but it did.

Had a Shampoo that molded. It was Sunsilk...One would think that the cleaning properties in the poo would prevent it from molding...but it did.

I have a shampoo that recently smells like mildew, and I thought that I was just imagining it...:nono: guess not! The shampoo is all natural, so there are no preservatives in it, guess I have to get rid of that!

Thanks for this post!

All the product junkies better check their stuff before they put it on their head. I wonder if it's the way you store it as well? Like all liquids have optimal storing conditions don't they, so maybe because it's too cold, and sometimes you may put the heating on which makes the liquid change temps too much?

Same happened with me and the lustrasilk. noticed when i opened it when i got home.. had lil black dots in it
so ladies, check your lustrasilk before you buy it!

could mold wreck havoc on your hair?

I just done a quick search and this came up on a certain website. This might be incorrect but its what i have found.

"if you're not keeping track of the way every product in your bathroom cabinet originally smelled and looked, you should still be able to tell, says Moser. 'If the smell is unpleasant, such as a dirty or sour smell, it's a good indication,' she explains. The good news is that expired products aren't harmful to hair, with only a small chance of scalp irritation, says Fabian Lliguen, a stylist and owner of the Cocoon Hair Studio in New York"

Just went to open my Rahua Leave treatment to see this yucky mold. I’ve only had it about a year and barely touched it. It was soo expensive too smh. It has no preservatives in it so that’s probably why.

Back