Concerned about my: scalp vs relaxer touch-ups

Nanyanika

I've sufferd terrible burns twice because the stylists didn't base my scalp well and now i've decided to do all my relaxing at home from now onwards. i noticed that my scalp has become sensitive and sore feelingsince those experiences(but then again i do have quite enough newgrowth), what would you recommend a good basers and products for sensitive scalp? is tea tree oil. any good? I no i'm not having a retouch till feb/march but i want to be prepared.

I use regular old vaseline, but a know a few companies make bases. The active ingrediant is petrolum anyway, so I think vaseline is just fine.

Vaseline is always a good choice. There is also a scalp base made by Sensitive by Nature and Cream of Nature. Those are cheaper than then one by Affirm. They might also rinse out easier than vaseline.

Thanks for the advice myco, i'm going to look out for Sensitive by Nature and Cream of Nature ones.

Den - to be honest, it matters very little what you base your scalp with. The most important thing is that it's heavy enough to act as a barrier and that you are through when you apply it. Like people have mentioned, Vaseline works really well. But this isn't a product to break the bank on, and additional botanicals and such are just for marketing value.

Thanks for enlightening me Tracy, but i really wasn't going to purchase lots of brand name basing products LOL /images/graemlins/rofl.gif, I was hoping for a scalp basing product that will effectively protect my scalp from potential injury, so i take it that Vaseline is enough then? depending on how much and how well it is applied to the scalp?

[ QUOTE ]
Den, is the Affrim Mild you use lye or no-lye?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use lye, and it really does burn my scalp, i have a texturizer and suffered dryness for 8 months so, i really don't want to use no-lye on my hair.

I base my scalp with petroleun jelly/vaseline, mainly around my edges.

I use lye relaxers too. I use ElastaQP, Motions, and used to use HawaiianSilky.

Back