Concerned about my ends...

SkinnyMocah

I honestly don't know what split/damaged ends look like... but this is the first time I've air dried and not blow dried it, and I don't know if this is normal. My hair is naturally coarse, and I am relaxed. My ends don't look like this when I blow dry my hair.

I think I may need a severe trim.

myends005.jpg

myends006.jpg

myends003.jpg

myends002.jpg

myends004.jpg

Skinny girl,

Ahh the power of airdrying. Air drying will make your ends look a mess unless you airdry with something to keep them smooth.

Judging by your avatar your ends DOES NOT need to be trimmed. My ends usually look the same way if i don't airdry with something to smooth on them.

You should try airdrying with large rollers on the ends. That way they will dry smooth. Right before you add the rollers add some serum to them and smooth them on the roller just like you would a roller set. Then aply your scarf and airdry.

Take a look at my fotki (in my profile) for tips on how to get a smooth airdry.

Air drying makes your ends look like a hot mess and tempts you to run for the scissors - someone made this comment a while back. Dont let it get to you! Try air drying from a dripping wet state w/moisturizer. When 75% dry add oils to seal. Dont comb until 90% dry. Bests.

Both ladies have gave great detailed replies and ITA! You might also want to try the baggie method.

But air dry hair can tend to look a hot mess! To see if you need a trim, go ahead and and dry your hair using heat (and i dont suggest heat often at all) or look at them dripping wet. You might not need a trim at all.

::whew::

I was about to cry because I do NOT want to get a haircut!

*does a little dance*

I am trying to master the roller set this weekend, so wish me luck!

In my avi, my hair is blown dry. That's why I couldn't understand why they looked so bad!

Yep! You don't need no trim girl. Mins look exactly like that If i airdry without something to make them straight, and I know I don't need no trim.

I definitely agree with the other ladies! Dont trim based on how your ends look airdried! That is very deceiving.... lol. Make a decision to trim after you've roller set your hair and allowed your ends to dry straight/smooth!

I'll check them after I rollerset. THey do tend to be a bit puffy, but perhaps I don't need as big of a trim as I thought I needed.

ITA agree with the ladies. Just say no to trimming airdried hair. It doesn't necessarily need it. Airdrying with the ends on rollers does work wonders. Also I stopped towel drying. I just squeeze out the excess water and then apply serum, leave-ins, and WGO. Setting the hair in a twistout or braidout also helps seal moisture in and set the hair for additional smoothness. HTH ;)

My ends looked just like that after I blowdried. I knew I didn't need a trim, I needed more serum and leave in. I also agree with the other ladies

You have now entered "the airdred zone":grin: Do not turn on your dryer. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your ends. I thought I was losing my mind until a month ago after using my coconut oil I added a few magnetic rollers. It was magical. Silky, fan dried hair and no splits!!!

You don't have to be precise with the rollers - just get the ends covered.
Let us know after you try our suggestions.

I apply either surge ultra max or profective healthy ends to my ends while wet. Doing this has eliminated frizzy arydried ends. I have a pic in my fotki under July 2006.

Well, I did my weekly wash and condition, and then did the leave in, oils, and roller set and sat under the soft bonnet dryer for a while. SOOOOOOO much better. My friend on another board said she saw lots of split ends and ordered me to get a trim. I looked at it while it was wet and I don't really see split ends. The shaft of the hair is not straight, it's wavy... and when it air dried it just poofed right up.

I could be making excuses cause I dont want to cut it but I'm going to wait it out.

I didn't use the blowdryer though, and I am proud of that!!

Everyone has given excellent advice. I am a regular air dryer and what I usually have to do to see smoother ends after air drying is to put my oils in, oil the ends heavily and then bun my hair for a few hours or overnight. When I take the bun down, the ends are bee-u-tiful. :yep:

Supergirl said:
Everyone has given excellent advice. I am a regular air dryer and what I usually have to do to see smoother ends after air drying is to put my oils in, oil the ends heavily and then bun my hair for a few hours or overnight. When I take the bun down, the ends are bee-u-tiful. :yep:

This is a great method. :) I use it often.

When I don't put my hair up in a bun just just add extra avocado butter to my ends, braid my hair in two braids and then sort of curl the last inch on the ends around my finger. It dries in a perfect, silky looking curl.

SkinnyMocah said:
::whew::

I was about to cry because I do NOT want to get a haircut!

*does a little dance*

I am trying to master the roller set this weekend, so wish me luck!

In my avi, my hair is blown dry. That's why I couldn't understand why they looked so bad!

Look at my avitar..my ends look crazy due to air-drying...last weekend I did a roller set and the ends were so healthy & soft..so yes, as healthy as airdrying is..it does make your ends look a Hot-Mess

Back