Commercial Hot Oil Treatments

JenJen2721

I was looking around on Walgreens.com at the VO5 Hot Oil Treatment and was shocked to find that it didn't contain any oil at all!

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jhtml?PRODID=8883&CATID=100233

Ingredients
Water , Cocotrimonium Chloride , Aloe Barbadensis Gel , Acetamide Mea , Polyquaternium -10 , Hydroxyethyl Cellulose , Pei-1750 Hydrochloride , Oleth-20 , Disodium EDTA , Methylparaben , Fragrance , FD&C Yellow No.6

What's up with that?

Are commercial hot oil treatments any better than say an EVOO hot oil treatment. Or is it just a marketing ploy?

What are your thoughts on this? I've never used a store-bought hot oil treatment, and I don't know if it would be beneficial to try one.
confused.gif

what are the best Hot oils to use, if I was to do o ne at home -- currently in house(olive oil, vegetable, corn oil) what should I buy

Last night I tried VO5 Shower Works Moisturizing Hot Oil Treatment. It says to use before shampooing and it has markings on the bottle for up to four treatments. You don't need to heat it up, it works with the heat of your shower. I liked it, it's a keeper for me.

I use a mixture of extra virgin olive oil, castor oil, coconut oil and rosemary oil. Sometimes I add some honey for extra strength.
You can also try heating up an oil blend such as Hot Six Oil, Wonder 8 or Kemi Oyl.

HTH

[ QUOTE ]
Last night I tried VO5 Shower Works Moisturizing Hot Oil Treatment. It says to use before shampooing and it has markings on the bottle for up to four treatments. You don't need to heat it up, it works with the heat of your shower. I liked it, it's a keeper for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, PBE...tell me more about why it's a keeper for you. The ingredients do sound better than the other one..but it still doesn't contain any oil.

Ingredients
Water , Cocotrimonium Chloride , Oleth 20 , Aloe Barbadenis Gel , Acetamide MAE , Panthenol Pro Vitamin B5 , Phytantriol , Polyquatermium-10 , Quatermium-84 , Gelatin , Keratin Amino Acids , Lysine Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride , Pei-1750 Hydrochloride , Dimethylpabamindopropyl Laurdimonium Tosylate , Glycol Stearate , Hydroxyehylcellulose , Disodium EDTA , Methylparaben , Fragrance , FD&C Yellow No. 6 , Other Ingredients.

I'm just wondering how they can call them "Hot Oil Treatments"

That one does have some good ingredients though.
scratchchin.gif
...aloe, panthenol B5, phytantriol, keratin amino acids..I'm thinking about it...
scratchchin.gif

JenJen,

I like the fact that it has aloe, panthenol, and keratin amino acids in it. Also, the package claims the treatment targets damaged areas. My hair felt silky and not greasy. I like that I did not have to heat it up (one less thing to do).

Years ago I used to use New Era Self-Heating Oil that they sold at Sally's that I really liked but, I guess it was discontinued.

I have tried and tried to use EVOO on my hair and my hair doesn't seem to like it.

I highly endorse commercial hot oil treatments as opposed to using straight natural oil as a hot oil treatments. The commercial ones are actually made to penetrate the hair. My two favorites are ION hot oil and L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Hot Oil.

Zanna likes the Proclaim hot oil (from Sally's) which has very similar ingredients to the ION hot oil.

And yes, the ones I mentioned above do contain oil. V05 is just an exception it seems.

Supergirl,

I agree with you! L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Hot Oil Treatment does have oils in it and you can see and feel the results! I can not use straight olive oil in my hair because it weighs my hair down. Nature's Therapy doesn't weigh my hair down. Prior to using NT I used Luster's Pink Oil Self-Heating Hot Oil Treatment. I decided to go with NT because someone had told me about it. I gave it a try and I've used it ever since!

Thanks Supergirl,
I checked out the Nature's Therapy Hot Oil and see that it does actually contain oil..

Ingredients
Water , Oleamidopropyl Dimethylamine , Polyquaternium-6 , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Fragrance , Polysorbate-80 , Lactic Acid , Methylparaben , PEG-60 Almond Oil , PEG-60 , Apricot Kernel Oils , Avocado Oils , Babassu Oils , Safflower Oils , Sesame Oils , Almond Oils , DMDM Hydantoin , Hydroxypropyltrimonium Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Caramel , D&C Yellow No. 10

It sounds like something worth trying. How do you use it Supergirl? Do you use it after shampooing? And do you follow it up with a moisturizing conditioner? The directions just say use after shampooing. Does it give slip? I would imagine you should perhaps use at least an instant conditioner afterwards?

TIA,
Jen

I dunno about anyone else, but I had a bad experience with a commericial hot oil. It caused my strands to bond together like glue. Some people experience this, while others don't. I believe it is caused by those other ingredients.

[ QUOTE ]
How do you use it Supergirl? Do you use it after shampooing? And do you follow it up with a moisturizing conditioner? The directions just say use after shampooing. Does it give slip? I would imagine you should perhaps use at least an instant conditioner afterwards?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't follow it with a moisturizing conditioner. In fact just FYI just because you see the ingredient 'protein' on a product doesn't mean you need to follow with a moisturizing conditioner. If it is hydrolyzed hair keratin protein or hydrolyzed human hair keratin protein then that's when you should follow with a moisturizing conditioner! Anyway, I use the Nature's Therapy Hot Oil after my moisturizing conditioner. It is the last thing I use on my hair. I feel like it is sealing in all of my hard work
smile.gif

I stopped purchasing commercial hot oil treatments because of this (lack of oil or not enough oil). I started using plain olive oil first after running out of one of the CO (commercial oils) and then found that it worked much better. Later I added honey and then EO's. I've never looked back and my hair has thanked me for it.

[ QUOTE ]
Zanna likes the Proclaim hot oil (from Sally's) which has very similar ingredients to the ION hot oil.

[/ QUOTE ] This is true, and they both carry great oils. I like them both.
Zanna

[ QUOTE ]
I use a mixture of extra virgin olive oil, castor oil, coconut oil and rosemary oil. Sometimes I add some honey for extra strength.
You can also try heating up an oil blend such as Hot Six Oil, Wonder 8 or Kemi Oyl.
HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

WHEN YOU BLEND THESE OILS... HOW DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH TO PUT IN

WHAT ABOUT VITAMIN E OIL... CAN I WARM IT UP AND USE THAT... WHEN YOU DO A HOT OIL TREATMENT DO YOU USE IT BEFORE YOU SHAMPOO OR AFTER...

Generally speaking Jhiana, if youre using a homemade hot oil treatment, I would say to use it before. If you're using a commercial hot oil treatment, than it would depend on the directions.

I think vitamin E is too thick and too expensive to use as a hot oil treatmrnt on a regular basis. Yiu can add some vitamin E to your hot oil though. What do you have at home?

I usually make up my hot oils in advance. You can blend them up like this---you can use the cheapest one as a base and then use other parts equally. If you like thick hot oils, you can use the thickest hot oil as a base and use the others equally; if you like thin ones, you can use the thinnest as a base; you can use the best smelling as a base and use the strongest-smelling one sparingly;or you can use all equally.

Its really up to you. I think its a matter of personal preference but you have to experiment with what you like.

HTH

[ QUOTE ]
Generally speaking Jhiana, if youre using a homemade hot oil treatment, I would say to use it before. If you're using a commercial hot oil treatment, than it would depend on the directions.

I think vitamin E is too thick and too expensive to use as a hot oil treatmrnt on a regular basis. Yiu can add some vitamin E to your hot oil though. What do you have at home?

[/ QUOTE ]
WHATEVER I USE I WOULD HAVE TO GO OUT AND PURCHASE IT... I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS GOOD BEFORE I GO OUT AND BUY SOMETHING THAT'S NOT GOOD

As far as commercial hot oil treatments go I've used:

Huile d’Alès Intensive Hydrating Oil Treatment by Phytologie (Castor oil, essential oils of sage, rosemary, juniper)

Phytopolleine Fortifying Essential Oil For The Scalp by Phytologie (Corn oil, essential oils of rosemary, lemon, cypress, eucalyptus)

I'd definitely use either of them as a pre-shampoo treatment.

Currently I'm using VO5 Shower Works Moisturizing Hot Oil... I absolutely love that it PENETRATES the strands, not greasy, but gives that "silky, sorta loose / defined "
nuts.gif
feel to each strand...it's kinda' hard to explain
laugh.gif
. Prior to this I was using EVOO, which wasn't penetrating that well
nono.gif

As soon as my VO5 runs out, I'm gonna try the both the Ion & the Nature's Therapy due to their oil content. (Thanks for the rec Zanna
cool.gif
). Hopefully, my hair would respond better to one of these.
smile.gif

I've also used Hot 6 Oil
love.gif
& Wonder 8 Oil as hot oil treatments... both worked really well on my hair also.

Peachtree, what is your hair type? I would like to try the VO5 shower works too! I tried Elysian Isles Avocado oil mixed w/ EVOO and keracare essential oils. I feel that it penetrated better than just EVOO alone. Try it!

My hair type? Well luv, I'm hair type confused
confused.gif
laugh.gif
that's why I removed the 4a/b from my profile. Girl, I gotta melting pot of types goin' on
laugh.gif
. Primarily I believe it's 3c
ohwell.gif
confused.gif

But anyway, I'll try out your trio. I have avocado & EVOO, but keracare oils I'll hafta buy. I'll let u know how they work for me. Thanks for the tip dear
cool.gif

i've tried a couple of them. they work okay, but the price is what gets me. for what i'd pay for a couple of vials, i could get a gallon of olive oil at Sam's Club and have just as much luck. so that's just what i do. AND i add essential oils to it to address my particular scalp issues...

[ QUOTE ]
Prior to this I was using EVOO, which wasn't penetrating that well
nono.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that I was the only one who was not head over heels with EVOO. I just purchased the shower works and cannot wait to try it!!
look.gif

Back