coming out of hiding......

mariposanegro

and i need lots of help! firstly let me tell you ladies how much of an inspiration and a help you've been to me. i have decided to get my hair act together because of all the beautiful heads of hair on this board. but i need lots of guidence so bear with me. okay-i am trying very hard to develop healthy habits with my hair. i am washing 1x a week now with a pre-shampoo and deep conditioning. i am still blow drying and flat ironing(i know /images/graemlins/frown.gif)once a week. i'd love to roller set but i don't have a clue how to(plus i'm all thumbs). i also need some ideas for some protective styles so i won't wear my hair down so much. i also would like more info on sealing my hair ends. thanks in advance /images/graemlins/wave.gif

hey and welcome to the board /images/graemlins/clap.gif.
i don't really rollerset my hair that much but i do wear my hair in protective styles all the time. i mostly wear it in one braid, two braids, four braids, french braids, bun, ponytails.
maybe you can cut the heat down to twice a month, i think that would be just right. i don't think that you have to cut heat out completely to have healthy hair. also the right products can help a lot too.
good luck and happy hair growing.
nay

Hi and welcome!

If you can, the biggest help would be to cut down on the blow drying and iron combo. For me and a few other girls on this board, that alone was the single best thing to help the hair be healthy. No amount of conditioning can completely reverse the effects of irons while you continue using them. At least for me it didn't. Like Nay007 suggested, cutting down at first will help.

Consider having a wash and set done at a Dominican salon to see a healthier way to dry the hair. Its cheap and you get to see how they put the rollars in too. I HATED rollars at first and was all thumbs. I really wanted to give up. YOu'll hate me saying this but its true that with practise it does get better but I'd start with with Dominican salons first and ask them to wrap your hair after removing the rollars so when you eventually let it down its nice and straight but with body and movement.

For hair ends, I like using hair serums on wet hair before drying to help the hair lie flat e.g Keracare Silken Seal. It seals the cuticle flat. Also use a good leave in conditioner concentrating on the hair ends. I like Kiehls Silk Groom, New Image Damage Free Thermal Conditioning Style Conditioner and Motions Nourish In.

You may want to try hot/warm pre oil treatments concentrating on the hair ends before every wash to help retain moisture in the ends. That's a good step to add to your regime.

Also wrapping at nights helps the ends stay protected.

On air drying days, I LOVE using S-Curl activator sprayed throughout to the ends and then pinning the hair up. It keeps the hair moisturized all day.

You may also want to consider providing moisture for the hair from the inside out. I take Barleans Flax Oil, a tablesp per day but you can take Evening Primrose oil or the flax as a capsule if you can't tolerate the oil taste.

Welcome to the LHCF. You will enjoy it here. Regarding wet sets, I think that Amilion gave a pretty good explanation of how to do them. Also there is an excellent picture of someone who did a wet (can't remember her name). Coupled with Amilion's instructions, it is as simple as one, two, three. If you do a search you will find it. Also, if you go to the "User list section" you will see links to photos for all the girls who have pictures posted. Eventually you will find the sister who has the picture of her wet set.

Adrienne also gives some great advice regarding a protective style. She shows how to put your hair up in her pics. as well.

/images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Welcome! /images/graemlins/newbie.gif I agree with everyone else. You'd be amazed in how much a difference just cutting back the heat works. Maybe you could try airdrying the ponytail method and then flatironing instead of doing both.

You will see a big difference in your hair when you cut back on the heat (or stop doing the blow-dry/curling iron altogether). I noticed more shine and a thicker texture when I put away my curling iron and blow dryer.

Welcome!! This is a great board with wonderful advice and very nice ladies. I agree with the ladies who suggest cutting out the heat. That was the number one problem for me, and getting rid of heat helped my hair a lot!

Hi mariposanegro and welcome to the club. /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Don't worry we will help you get your hair together. The other ladies offered you some excellent advice and the took all the words right out of my mouth as far as styles and getting your hair right goes. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hello and welcome to our boards you will find advice and techniques on how to treat your hair for me i stop using a curling iron and blow dryer 10 years ago!!!!!! all i do is wet set and use a hooded dyer and i wrap my hair every night my hair is tammed now that i have no use for a curling iron, when i'm almost due for a perm a protective style i wear is washing and using a leave in conditoner plus a cream conditoner and let my hair air dry and {the key is no heat as much as possible.} good luck /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Welcome to the board Mariposanegro. It sounds as if you are already on your way to some healthy hair with the advice you received here.

Back