Combs.......

Dolapo

Hi, im a new natural and im wondering what types of combs y'all use for your hair. that are safe. LOL. like seamless and stuff that i can get from sallys. My natural hair is sooo not feeling all the combs i have right now :( Can i use any hair pick? whats the denman for? like can you please list all your combs, their uses and where you got them from? thanks!:)

my go to comb is my k-cutter....but i dont make a habit of combing my hair...generally, i do it once a week on wash day....its helped me avoid a lot of breakage.

I use the K Cutter found here: http://www.ebonyline.com/britprofkcut.html
This is the only comb you will need for the rest of your life. I use it for detangling wet hair and combing dry hair only when its pressed. It has nice long smooth teeth so it can get thru even the thickest hair.

I also use a denman d3 brush (available at Sally's) because it gets my hair really smooth and straight. Excellent for setting and blowdrying.

220004.jpg
I use this. But I do not comb my hair much... Like once per month, if that.

They have a comb close to the K-cutter at Sally's. Some people say the knock offs aren't as good, but if you don't want to order it, then maybe you could just buy a comb like it. Also if you look at babyblue's album, the comb that she uses is at Sally's as well if I'm not mistaken. I think I've seen a comb like she has.

The denman is good at getting out shed hair. For some though it doesn't do anything but tear the hair out. I use a brush, but not the denman.

I use
Conair shower comb
Scunci CushioNair Vent Brush http://www.scunci.com/product_detail.aspx?gid=3&pid=54&lp=4

I detangle with the conair shower comb and then detangle with the scunci. When I want fluffy full hair, I don't use the scunci brush becuase it clumps my hair together. If/when you get a brush you'll know what I mean.

I hope this helps you.

I havent combed my hair in about 5 months. I use a pick on my hair right after I shampoo it and I lift my hair with my pick to get a fro and that's it. I dont think that a comb is totally necessary but it may be a good thing to keep on hand for some. I know on my own hair they useless contraptions :lol:. I may try the K cutter though :). -- jainygirl

thanks everyone. i might have to go to sally's to get the K-cutter. i have the conair shower comb but its not really helping. it works when i comb in the shower but it doesnt help when my hair is dry.

Dolapo said:
thanks everyone. i might have to go to sally's to get the K-cutter. i have the conair shower comb but its not really helping. it works when i comb in the shower but it doesnt help when my hair is dry.
you should try to get out of the habit of combing your hair when its dry....natural hair generally dont play dat! you will save yourself a LOT of breakage....

I see youre in Jonesboro. Just go to the Sally's beauty Supply on Mt Zion Blvd by Southlake Mall. It's on the same side of the street as the Olive garden across the street from the plaza with Boot Village. There is also a huge Beauty Mart on Mt Zion Blvd in the Publix shopping plaza. Good luck :). -- jainygirl

Last edited:
yes i sneak off to the huge BSS beside publix when i go grocery shopping while my brother isnt watching. Ill go get the comb the next time i go. thanks!

Dolapo,
Thanks for posting this question. Although I am not completely natural, my comb isn't cutting it anymore. I'll have to check Sally's for the K-cutter knock off.

Shatani said:
you should try to get out of the habit of combing your hair when its dry....natural hair generally dont play dat! you will save yourself a LOT of breakage....

thanks, shatani... i am taking notes for when i decide to go natural.....

Shatani said:
yeah ima stop that. thats when my scalp starts getting sore. i nearly cried when i tried combing it before reading your post :ohwell: . Thanks Sha!

Ditto what Shantani said!!!!! I don't necessarily wet mine everytime, but I make sure its damp with leave in con. I use this comb:

6283.jpg

Dolapo said:
yeah ima stop that. thats when my scalp starts getting sore. i nearly cried when i tried combing it before reading your post :ohwell: . Thanks Sha!
ooooh, sorry girl! yeah, its not fun at all! only comb it when its wet, soaked with conditioner or shampoo or something....the rest of the time is just unnecessary pain.

If you're relaxed and want a seamless comb, sally's carries a line of white combs, called Cricket combs. Antibacterial and wont snag your hair. I have all the combs in the line, 4 or 5 all together. They are only about 4 bucks each and are cheaper than the bone combs. I am natural and still use mine because I comb conditioner through my hair. I have bone combs but I havent been using those as much.
I also have the shower comb mentioned above, but mine is by conair and I got it at target. They work the same though. In addition, I have the k kutter, a black power fist pick, 2 denman brushes (I don't know which ones tho), this HUGE pink comb, similar to the black one shown in the thread eariler, and some boar bristle brushes dated pre-lhcf. Depending on what you plan on doing to your hair, you need a variety of tools, but you don't have to go broke getting them. :)

Back