combing hair while dry

naturallyme

i always have to comb my hair when it's dry before i do my twists just to comb it out so that i can twist it. i know that it's bad to comb your hair when it's dry, but is it really damaging to the hair? i don't like to do my twists on wet hair because it shinks up so that is why i do it on dry hair so that my twists can stretch. i just wanted to know does anyone else does this or i'm i the only one? and is it really damaging to comb hair when dry. thanks in advance!!!

i think it depends on the texture of your hair as well. when i comb my hair dry i lose more hair as opposed to when i comb my hair wet.

I comb my hair when it's wet and dry. For some reason, it's easier for me to comb it when it's dry. I'm not sure why, though. :scratchch

naturallyme said:
i always have to comb my hair when it's dry before i do my twists just to comb it out so that i can twist it. i know that it's bad to comb your hair when it's dry, but is it really damaging to the hair? i don't like to do my twists on wet hair because it shinks up so that is why i do it on dry hair so that my twists can stretch. i just wanted to know does anyone else does this or i'm i the only one? and is it really damaging to comb hair when dry. thanks in advance!!!

Is this a rule for natural heads only? B/c I'm relaxed and comb dry everyday.

secretdiamond i really don't know, but i always thought that it wasn't good to comb your hair while it's dry, but i know it's good to comb it when it's wet with conditioner in it.

My hair is very fine and I lose less hairs when I comb my hair when it's dry than when it is wet. When my hair is wet it feels very weak compared to when it's dry so I feel safer doing the combing on dry hair. I guess you just have to do what works for you.

When I first came here that was one of the things I learned was to not comb my hair while it was dry,just finger comb it into the style and believe me that was one of the best things I've learned. I only comb 2-3 times a week when I do my conditioner washes....any other time I just use my fingers to comb and I dont lose any hair this way. My hair is thicker than its ever been. Back in the day when I used to wash and blow dry and comb every day,my hair was still thick but I had alot more broken ends which lead to hair that stayed the same length for years.

TeeTee2

I comb my hair to style it when dry, I just don't understand how you can avoid using a comb :confused: , but anyway in this article here, http://splitends.bebto.com/preventse.htm, it says that the hair is more fragile when combing while wet. I only detangle w/conditioner while wet because once it dries especially when you are post relaxer you can have a serious problem,LOL, but once it air dries I still have to comb the sections a little w/gentlness to make my twist or braids neater. When I try to twist wet hair or braid it, I have breakage and it doesn't look fresh.

Isn't the "rule" that you aren't supposed to comb WET hair? Because wet hair is weaker than dry hair? Combing dry hair is supposed to be the least damaging.

I don't use a comb or brush at all anymore. When I did, I would use a shower comb in wet hair slathered with conditioner. Never dry. (I used to do that back in the day...that's a big no-no for me.) I think you have to find what works on your hair. I also think a lot of the hair "rules" really depend on hair type. For me, I ripped out way too much hair when I combed dry. There is no slip. Water and gentle combing were much better. Now I just fingercomb to detangle and to style.

Back