Combed locs out. Need advice.

GroovyMama

So, we are just about done with combing my mom's locs out. I need some advice as to what to do next. The plan was to :

1. Fully Detangle
2. Pre-poo
3. Wash
4. Aphogee 2 step
5. Deep condition
6. Trim
7. Medium cornrows under a wig for 5 weeks
8. Once a week for 5 weeks I want to do a Aphogee and deep condition.
9. Right now her hair is mostly blonde, I want to get it to a dark brown. Is this healthier than leaving it blond? Should I use a rinse, semi, or perm color?

Any advice ladies.

Subbing!!! I'm combing my locs out myself and would like to "refresh" my memory and figure out how to keep taking care of my babies.
It will take me a few weeks to complete the process but I can't wait!!

I don't know a lot about loc comb-out, but I think a strong protein like aphogee 2 step is better delayed, perhaps till after a few washes. I'm worried about matting/ breakage. Same thoughts about delaying color.

tolly said:
I don't know a lot about loc comb-out, but I think a strong protein like aphogee 2 step is better delayed, perhaps till after a few washes. I'm worried about matting/ breakage. Same thoughts about delaying color.

I agree with this.

How about a prepoo, mild shampoo, a reconstructer not a protein treatment followed by a dc. No color for long time.

When you wash wash in sections. And stretch and air dry.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Okay, I have the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor. The blond in her hair terrible. Is there nothing we can do about that?

I agree with waiting to color her hair. If it's going under a wig for 5 weeks, no one will see it anyway.

I would do an overnight pre poo with a heavy oil/butter mix with celie braids PRIOR to washing.

What are you going to use to detangle? Hopefully not a water based conditioner :nono:

Please share pics :yep:

i combed mine out in 2011. i think switching to a darker color will be better for you. you can use a rinse to protect/add color to her hair. make sure the color is in her color base range (to avoid turning green). my hair was in good shape at the time. i think since she has the blonde, the 2 min will be fine. i relaxed my hair after i took them down. oh and i took my down with conditioner and water in a spray bottle. it took several days. i trimmed off the tips to make it easier.

semi permanent color will be fine.

Last edited:
What products are you using to soften the locks to help remove them? Sorry off topic. IA with other posters wait a couple weeks with the Aphogee 2 step and wait further with the permanent color too. Her hair needs time to recover from the chemical damage (blonde) and mechanical pressure (unlocking dreads) before you can do anything drastic.

I last used Hawaiian silky. Liberally applied waited an hour or so then sprayed liberally again.

I used this mostly.

image-4082817884.jpg

And the dreaded tangle teaser on the ends to get started.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

i combed my locs out back in 2007. sounds like you have a good plan. i would definitely do just a mild protein treatment. the hardcore aphogee might be too much at first.

are you leaving the same set of cornrows in for 5 weeks or will you detangle and rebraid once a week? i say that because my hair definitely needed a break for few weeks after all that take down. but i detangled my hair at least weekly because my hair naturally started to want to gather together because it had been in the locked state for so long. you kind of have to train it to be unlocked if you know what i mean.

Back