coloring question (pics)

amy1234

Hey ladies, I've been contemplating about coloring my hair to a darker color that is closer to my natural hair color. I plan to use Textures and tones cocoa brown. The problem is , I'm not sure how gentle it is and if it will end up damaging my hair. Do you any of you know if this color has hydrogen peroxide in it? the box doesn't say.
For some reason, my golden brown highlights seem to be lighter and they look ashy. You can take a look at my most recent pics to see what I am talking about. The botton line is to find out if the t&t cocoa brown will cause any damage. Also, I only plan to apply the color to my previously highlighted hair. TIA

beautiful. Great progress and pretty color
smile.gif

Weeeeeeeeelllllllllllll, T&T is heavy duty peroxide developer dye - but it doesn't have ammonia and that makes a little bit less damaging than others.

As far as it goes with going to a darker brown shade, I think using a dye like that would be overkill - I only like to come in contact with peroxide if I'm going lighter. Have you thought about using semi-permanent rinses (Jazzing, Clairol Beautiful Collection, Sebastian Colourshines, etc.)? That way you could change your color frequently and experiment without doing any damage - they also protect your hair and make it shiny.

I also had the same color predicament a few years ago when my highlights got a little funky with my haircolor. I used Water Works Permanent dye (a powder you simply mix with water) in a brown shade and my hair came out beautifully - I still had highlights (light brown) with the deeper brown - it toned all of my hair evenly - it looked very natural with sunkissed highlights. It didn't look heavy or fake all - and best of all I didn't experience any dryness or breakage.

ITA with Virtuasis.

My hair is also lightened and if I don't like the color, I darken it with a rinse. Your hair should really absorb the darker color, since it is lightened. Yes, some of it will wash out, but at least you won't have to worry about your hair being overloaded and double processed.
wink.gif

Also, your hair is beautiful
smile.gif

thanks for the advice, you all probably saved my hair from any type of major damage. I think I will try a semi-permanent rinse (clairol- beautiful collection) but now I am curious about hennalucent. Do you think that it's just as safe as the semi-permanent rinse? thanks again.

Cosigning on above, but with something to add....

If lasting color is the concern and was why you chose a permie in the first place, a demipermanent - like Clairol Natural Instincts - may work well as an alternative. You could use a rinse, and it would be the least damaging, but you'll be reapplying once every two or three weeks if you wash frequently and want full coverage of the highlights.

Demi-perms offer longer lasting results with a lower volume (less damaging) level of peroxide. It could be a better choice than a permie color as far as damage.

The T&T is a great color damage-wise. My concern is application over previously highlighted hair.

And make sure you use a gold or red based brown. You don't want the ashy highlights to be army greenish highlights!
crazy.gif

thanks for the compliments!!
Ericka-- I copied and pasted my regimen from a recent pm : what has helped me a lot was my vitamin intake and protective styling/ keeping my ends healthy to avoid any trim. For vitamins , I take two GNC womens multivitamin, two GNC Omega 3.6.9, and one GNC MSM vitamin. I have also started to use surge since the begining of dec. '03 . For my hair care, I always deep condition my hair with CPR, mixed with Tropical wheat germ conditioner and NTM moisurizing conditioner for 1hr under a heating cap. Also, rollersetting my hair to dry has helped to keep my hair in good condition. I also try not to trim too often. I want to wait at least 4 months until my next trim . And yes I'm still natural- it is not a big deal to me.

thanks for the advice tracy-- I already bought some hennalucent (gleaming ebony) and clairol beautiful semi-perm (dark warm brown) so I'm going to try one of these first. The color fading was an issue to me but I think I would rather stay on the safe side for now. I'm going to also keep the demi-perm in mind for the future. Any feedback on the hennalucent? I'll try to do a few searches on it. thanks

[ QUOTE ]
curlybun said:
Any feedback on the hennalucent? I'll try to do a few searches on it. thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Not from me - but several ladies on the board love it and it is almost surely not as damaging as a permanant or semi-permanent color.
smile.gif

Good Luck!

curlybun. I just saw your album, and your hair is AWESOME!!!!! can you PM me with your routine, I'm dying to know how your hair grew that fast in so short a period of time.
shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
curlybun said:
Hey ladies, I've been contemplating about coloring my hair to a darker color that is closer to my natural hair color. I plan to use Textures and tones cocoa brown. The problem is , I'm not sure how gentle it is and if it will end up damaging my hair. Do you any of you know if this color has hydrogen peroxide in it? the box doesn't say.
For some reason, my golden brown highlights seem to be lighter and they look ashy. You can take a look at my most recent pics to see what I am talking about. The botton line is to find out if the t&t cocoa brown will cause any damage. Also, I only plan to apply the color to my previously highlighted hair. TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

I would try a dark rinse versus a permanent color to minimize damage. After that...condition, condition condition.

Overall, I like the mixture of colors that you have. Perhaps a clear rinse will give you the shine that you desire.

[ QUOTE ]
FLAME said:
curlybun. I just saw your album, and your hair is AWESOME!!!!! can you PM me with your routine, I'm dying to know how your hair grew that fast in so short a period of time.
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree!!!
smile.gif

Back