Colored Naturals..Hows Your Hair Doing?

I'd definitely say there's a trade-off between colouring and retaining. And it isn't just split ends per se, the quality of the hair itself just downgrades. It bugs me so I'll trim more often and in larger amounts.

Just so you have an idea- I highlighted my hair in the summer of '08, this September I did it again- but it was on a head full of virgin hair- I chopped off all the processed hair over the course of the year.

IDK, maybe I'm kinda dramatic about it because I'm used to my hair having a certain quality to it. Before these 2 highlights I hadn't coloured since middle school- so the difference is very noticeable to me.

Basically:
-Hair will still be healthy
-Will go down a couple notches in quality
-More split ends

(FYI, I don't really use heat much, so i know that's not a contributing factor.)

I personally won't be colouring again.

Another thing- the reason why the quality downgrade bugs me so much is because I feel like it adds frizziness

Yeesh:perplexed:ohwell:

I'm not so sure about this anymore:nono:

I wish it wasn't a tradeoff!:sad:

keedah, your hair is soo cute. mmmmm color, i dont mess with it all over my head, i just use it in the front of my hair for streaking, well i use bleach,:grin: thats probably worse. i have not had a problem cuz i aphogee like every three weeks. but i would never use it all over my head, that would make me nervous so i dont do it. just use a good protein and you should be fine,

I think I'd want color similar to this, but maybe a bit lighter.

Black+Women+Hairstyles+Fashion+2.jpg

Except I would want the highlights and lowlights more chunky then just tiny sections here and there. I would want the crown to be an even lighter color then the bottom.

But yea, this is pretty much what I'm going for do you think I can go from my natural dark color to that with textures and tones without a bleaching step?

My hair drinks up product so I guess that means its porous?

I'm just scared of breakage and losing length:perplexed and every time I go to my salon saying I want a color they tell me my hair isnt ready for it:sad: which I appreciate because they're putting my hair health first but I want a change!:ohwell:

blackmasterpiece your hair would soo good in this color. did you ever try aphogee? probably a dumb question.:rolleyes:

Hey Adora:wave: welcome to the board btw

thanks I think so too, I have golden undertones to my complexion so I think warm browns and auburns would look spectacular on me. I have like two or three bottles of Aphogee two-step in my house since I found them on sale at this BSS one time so I definitely have enough of that.

Thank you SO much for the first hand experience Eritreladiee

I want to change things up and color my hair really bad but I'm not sure I wanna roll the dice on my hair:perplexed so I'm really conflicted:sad:

Hey Adora:wave: welcome to the board btw

thanks I think so too, I have golden undertones to my complexion so I think warm browns and auburns would look spectacular on me. I have like two or three bottles of Aphogee two-step in my house since I found them on sale at this BSS one time so I definitely have enough of that.

Thank you SO much for the first hand experience Eritreladiee

I want to change things up and color my hair really bad but I'm not sure I wanna roll the dice on my hair:perplexed so I'm really conflicted:sad:

I completely understand how your feeling. if it were me, mmm i dont this i could give up health for coloer:nono:. i would be toooo scared to loose my length. than back to sqaure 1 i would go.

Sigh. What about deposit only colours? I'd like to go super jet black, that shouldn't be as damaging as lightening right?

Sigh. What about deposit only colours? I'd like to go super jet black, that shouldn't be as damaging as lightening right?

They are fine, because i put my hair black again after bleaching and it worked out just fine, its the lighter colors that rob hair of moister and shine, and health:ohwell:

But what about the permanent colors like textures and tones that dont include bleach? Are those better/less harmful?

The rinses and semi-permanent colors are fine MiteyChick maybe you do a deep moisture treatment or something but they're nowhere near as harmful as color can be

*sighs* if only.........

Last edited:
No prob, BlackMasterPiece

I know what you mean about wanting to change up. But if it makes you feel any better, (if your like me,) if you were to colour your hair, you'd probably want to change back to your natural colour soon enough. The grass is always greener...

In fact, last night I TRIED to dye my hair black again and it really didn't quite work out. I used Bigen Oriental Black, and either the product is retarded or I am. So I'm guessing I'm gonna have to do try again, which is heartbreaking news for my hair.

@ BlackMasterPiece, I agree with everything Eritreeladie (sp?) said about the tradeoff of color.
If you want to color and retain really well, you have to be vigilant about your ends. If you want to avoid the regular trims that weakened colored ends often cause, you have to really follow a strict end-care regimen: lots of DC'ing, probably an avoidance of heat, religious sealing, low manipulation, and probably some protective styling.

That's not my style. :evilbanana:

I could probably do all of those things and retain really well, but i haven't really known my hair's true length potential for a while, because I simply am more about style than religiously retaining every centimeter. I'm lazy about DCs and protein treats. I hate protective styling. I'll manipulate as much as I please to achieve a certain look-even though I know my fine hair doesn't really enjoy that. I'm a reckless trimmer as well-I'll pull out the scissors at random when i please. :blush:

So my point is?? You can do it if you're ready to put in the extra work. And to be honest, I can kinda see that you've learned your hair, your strands don't look as fine as mine, you take excellent care of it, and you have a stylist who's about healthy hair. So I think you'll do amazing with color-go for it!! :grin:
*ends color pep talk, leaves random stint as the colored natural cheerleader, and puts down pom-poms* :lol:

@ BlackMasterPiece, I agree with everything Eritreeladie (sp?) said about the tradeoff of color.
If you want to color and retain really well, you have to be vigilant about your ends. If you want to avoid the regular trims that weakened colored ends often cause, you have to really follow a strict end-care regimen: lots of DC'ing, probably an avoidance of heat, religious sealing, low manipulation, and probably some protective styling.

That's not my style. :evilbanana:
:nono: I love my presses and I can't STAND protecive styling:ohwell:

I could probably do all of those things and retain really well, but i haven't really known my hair's true length potential for a while, because I simply am more about style than religiously retaining every centimeter. I'm lazy about DCs and protein treats. I hate protective styling. I'll manipulate as much as I please to achieve a certain look-even though I know my fine hair doesn't really enjoy that. I'm a reckless trimmer as well-I'll pull out the scissors at random when i please. :blush:
lol naughty naughty!! lol

So my point is?? You can do it if you're ready to put in the extra work. And to be honest, I can kinda see that you've learned your hair, your strands don't look as fine as mine, you take excellent care of it, and you have a stylist who's about healthy hair. So I think you'll do amazing with color-go for it!! :grin:
*ends color pep talk, leaves random stint as the colored natural cheerleader, and puts down pom-poms* :lol:
I'm definitely blessed with coarse thick strands, they can take alot. I kinda do DC's whenever and I do press n flat irons very often, still managed to get where I am with all of that because I have such resilient hair, but I just dont want my hair to go from resilient to fragile because I dont know how to deal with fragile strands and I really can't do any strict reggies as a college student:nono:

I dunno:ohwell:

So any colored naturals that can share their experience? Has it hindered your goals? My hair is pretty healthy now. I never flat ironed before but plan on doing it every 6-8 weeks. Other than that my hair dries under the hooded dryer. I deep condition once a month.

I've been coloring for about a decade, but a lot of that time was spent in locs. I'm actually growing my color out because I'm *trying* to be as natural as possible with my hair. I LOVE color though and I have several colors in my head right now (which look a mess since I have done no touch ups in about 5 months)

The color DOES dry my hair out a LOT. Since I used to color my locs, I didnt think much about the aftercare because my locs never suffered. However, now that I am loose, I can tell the difference in the dryness. It didnt affect my curl pattern, but I definitely take tender care of my colored ends so I can retain my length. I use ultra moisturizing conditioners, preferably organic. I DC with treatments full of oils. I use profectiv healthy ends and/or HB castor oil on the ends and then seal with a combo of oils designed to reduce split ends and heal dried overprocessed hair. My hair is much softer and stronger now that I've taken more care of the color-treated parts.

But since I love color so much, I'm going to have to figure out the henna situation because I just love playing with color.

Pause.

Hold the phone.

You got yo hurr this light sans bleaching!?!?!?:blush:

Explain please!! Is your hair naturally light? Or did your hair start out as dark as mines is in my siggy? If so, I need to get on that color like....yesterday.

Ive had lighter than that without bleaching. In fact, some of my ends are still blondish

I had to cut my color out. It was eating my hair up no matter what I did. :nono:
Oh no!:cry3:

Did you really try to have a more aggressive reggie catered toward colored hair?

Sidenote: You sure do look glam in that siggy miss lady!:yep:

I've been coloring for about a decade, but a lot of that time was spent in locs. I'm actually growing my color out because I'm *trying* to be as natural as possible with my hair. I LOVE color though and I have several colors in my head right now (which look a mess since I have done no touch ups in about 5 months)

The color DOES dry my hair out a LOT. Since I used to color my locs, I didnt think much about the aftercare because my locs never suffered. However, now that I am loose, I can tell the difference in the dryness. It didnt affect my curl pattern, but I definitely take tender care of my colored ends so I can retain my length. I use ultra moisturizing conditioners, preferably organic. I DC with treatments full of oils. I use profectiv healthy ends and/or HB castor oil on the ends and then seal with a combo of oils designed to reduce split ends and heal dried overprocessed hair. My hair is much softer and stronger now that I've taken more care of the color-treated parts.

But since I love color so much, I'm going to have to figure out the henna situation because I just love playing with color.
Thanks for sharing your regiie in such detail!

Since you do ultra moisturizing DC's do you feel your colored ends are now healthier? I agree with you, I think I may need to slow my roll and just see what I can get with Henna.......even though it probably wouldnt be as vibrant as I would like
:ohwell:

Ive had lighter than that without bleaching. In fact, some of my ends are still blondish
I would think that since there was no bleach involved that its less harmful to your hair....no?:scratchch

My hair's doing great, I've always done my colour myself, honey blonde but now want to go to a professional cause it turns brassy when I go to hotter climates. I was even flatironing weekly for several months with no visible damage.

My hair's doing great, I've always done my colour myself, honey blonde but now want to go to a professional cause it turns brassy when I go to hotter climates. I was even flatironing weekly for several months with no visible damage.
Please share your reggie HotHair!! Whats your hair type?What kinda color are you using? Have you been able to retain length well? What are your typical treatments? Did you switch up your products to accomodate your colored hair? How often do you do touchups?

Spill!!:grin:

Last edited:
They are fine, because i put my hair black again after bleaching and it worked out just fine, its the lighter colors that rob hair of moister and shine, and health:ohwell:

The rinses and semi-permanent colors are fine MiteyChick maybe you do a deep moisture treatment or something but they're nowhere near as harmful as color can be

*sighs* if only.........

Okay, so since going darker is less harmful, will I still be able to flat iron regularly? I have thick, coarse strands that take damaging treatment rather well, but I'm not trying to lose my BSL hair :grin::nono: I started flat ironing when it got cold and I would like to keep that up for the winter. I'm concerned about the dye degrading the quality of my hair though. Okay, looks like I just talked myself out of it :perplexed lol

Please share your reggie HotHair!! Whats your hair type?What kinda color are you using? Have you been able to retain length well? What are your typical treatments? Did you switch up your products to accomodate your colored hair? How often do you do touchups?

Spill!!:grin:

:wave: 4a/b (with the BKT now just 4a), In blonde shades, I've used Clairol's textures & tones, Dark and Lovely, my hair likes, Loreal preference in Rimini (usually) I prelighten with Garnier lightener.

I do a hard Aphogee a few days before, apply the prelightener, rinse out apply the aphogee hard (without letting it dry/ mixed with conditioner) rinse apply the Loreal Preference wait the 20-25 mins, rinse and DC.

I do some Aphogee 2 min treatments about twice for the next 2 weeks and then go back to a regular DC and co-wash once a week.

When I flatironed weekly I used a modified Ateyaaa reggie but would alternate some of the products for more moisturising ones depending on how my hair felt.

Honestly my hair reacts pretty well to protein and it also seems to help with the colour so I just incorporate it I don't use any colour only products that I can think of, touch ups can be from 6-8 weeks to 24weeks depends on my boredom/ or if I get brassiness, which is why I now want to switch to a good colourist as opposed to doing it myself.

HTH

No bleach but the product has ammonia.. That's really on the same level as peroxide that a professional would do. Regular permanent box kits usually contain 40 vol peroxide and this one is using ammonia at a lower level, which probably equals a 20 volume peroxide.

Since you do ultra moisturizing DC's do you feel your colored ends are now healthier? I agree with you, I think I may need to slow my roll and just see what I can get with Henna.......even though it probably wouldnt be as vibrant as I would like:ohwell:

I would think that since there was no bleach involved that its less harmful to your hair....no?:scratchch

My hair has improved SO much. I've only been out of locks for a year now so I had to relearn everything. When I took my locs down I cut about 6-8 inches all around because they were damaged from the coloring and locking. I could have probably saved that hair, but it wasnt that important to me.

My best best best DC is triple nutrition 3 minute undo mask from Garnier warmed up and mixed with jojoba and grape seed oil. 30-45 minutes later, rinse, and man, my hair just feels so great, even the colored ends.

The coloring itself, to me, isnt harmful if you take care of it after. Clearly there is an entire market for color-treated hair so its like a "duh" moment to know that coloring has some downside effect on your hair. You just have to find the right regimen to minimize the damage and take the best care. My hair could have stood to lose another 2-3 inches, but I kept them and am nurturing them and its doing just fine. Eventually I'll cut them out because I hate the blonde ends, but there is a muted brown I have that isnt so bad.

I think my hair is doing well. Going to make another color appointment this week. I use Keracare for Color Treated Hair and I really haven't had any problems.

Like someone else said, it is addictive!

web1p.jpg

Clairol Textures and Tones has beautiful light colors that you can achieve without bleaching! Bleaching is not always necessary when coloring. It really depends on your natural color, porosity and how light you want to go in addition to other factors that determine if bleaching is needed. As Rocky stated earlier, going to a professional is definitely recommended.

So true Nixx ! it takes more time .. but much less damage.. but still you need to care for your strands even more than before... here are a few pics of my naked hair witrh re-freshed color at my root .. I used Tex and tones "ruby rage" and will henna in a few weeks for more pop !

Attachments

• 100_0008.jpg
    100_0008.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 000_0004.jpg
    000_0004.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 49
Whimsy your color is GORGE!!!:love: arr1216 ,honeiosis can you guys please share your reggie and how its changed since the color and how you combat it?

Last edited:
Back